Opinion NRL Tonight

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
You can apply for a exemption to play a player from outside the top 30 before round 11. You normally have to have prove that you don’t have anyone else in the top 30 that can play that position due to injuries or suspensions.
Yeah but presumably that would only come into effect if our Top 30 was already locked in. If we only had 28/29 and were asking to play an exception from outside the 30, surely the NRL would knock back the application and tell us to add him to our 30...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wouldn't take it to heart.. there are some gronks on here that think it's funny to make up rubbish mail, then others have a hard time believing the real mail..

I checked your post history and your mail about Foran was good ..
Fuck those gronks posting fake rumours! :rage:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure on specifics but been told he will be in the 17 somewhere. I'm just happy as I believe he offers more than the other dummy half options.
So that means one of JMK or Katoa or maybe both will be in NSW cup then?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If an exemption has been applied for and approved, I'll assume JMK is still injured..
So the injury must be as bad as first thought. I am keen to see how he goes. I just hope that JMK isn't going to be thrown back in at Deitz's expense once he is fine

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the injury must be as bad as first thought. I am keen to see how he goes. I just hope that JMK isn't going to be thrown back in at Deitz's expense once he is fine
That’s exactly what will happen if they have got a exemption. If JMK and Katoa are fit Dietz can’t play unless he’s put into the top 30.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The top 30 system is just bullshit
I agree. If a player is having a sensational year in the lower grades it's detrimental to the game that they're not able to be promoted based on that. It seems illogical to me that the NRL would implement rules that make it harder for clubs to promote exciting prospects when they're needed and in good form. Naming six development players before the season starts is illogical.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree. If a player is having a sensational year in the lower grades it's detrimental to the game that they're not able to be promoted based on that. It seems illogical to me that the NRL would implement rules that make it harder for clubs to promote exciting prospects when they're needed and in good form. Naming six development players before the season starts is illogical.
Players outside the top 30 and development system are now able to play nrl from round 11.

It's the first time in years that reserve grade player can actually play out of their skin and be rewarded for it instead on heading into round 1 knowing no matter how good they play they can't be elevated.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Players outside the top 30 and development system are now able to play nrl from round 11.

It's the first time in years that reserve grade player can actually play out of their skin and be rewarded for it instead on heading into round 1 knowing no matter how good they play they can't be elevated.
It's an improvement on the system that's been in place. But it's still a delay of close to half a season. I can understand age restrictions which are there to avoid busting youngsters that haven't developed physically. But I used to enjoy seeing players come out of nowhere and make an immediate impact based off a good year in the reserves.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an improvement on the system that's been in place. But it's still a delay of close to half a season. I can understand age restrictions which are there to avoid busting youngsters that haven't developed physically. But I used to enjoy seeing players come out of nowhere and make an immediate impact based off a good year in the reserves.
..if it's meant to coincide with SOO then it's a good move!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You can apply for a exemption to play a player from outside the top 30 before round 11. You normally have to have prove that you don’t have anyone else in the top 30 that can play that position due to injuries or suspensions.
I guess it depends on what they mean by play. We have Katoa but he's not much more than a body...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also if you can... watch NRL360 replay. Cronk destroyed Rothfield and it was a pleasure to watch.
Cronk did go after Rothfield and Buzz was rattled

I must say though that I do not consider it a coincidence or something that organically came about AFTER he retired that Cronk has roles and pay cheques from the Roosters, Storm and Fox Sports in his post-playing career... seriously, what kind of corporate ambassador for the Storm proclaims himself on national television that he is a Rooster?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly. Pre salary cap days anyone in the Club could be named to play. I'm a firm believer this current system, and the money in the game, and lack of other income earning education or training most players do, and the fact consequently most NRL players are so reluctant to stop playing only works to prevent up and comers getting a chance.

Gone are the days of 3 grades against a Club with the best from 3rds sitting on bench for 2nd grade then best from 2nds sitting on bench for 1sts. An 18 year old guy who went well in 3rds could be given a chance in 1sts...maybe getting a run in back end of a game. A just reward for a good game in 3rds. Didn't happen often but could happen.

Pathways of kids coming through are so restricted now. Top 30 and older players hanging on past their used by date means lowest % of third graders now make it to NRL level than ever before. This is a fact.