News NRL star Tevita Pangai Jr reveals reason he missed his Panthers debut

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

1630636687289.png
Tevita Pangai Junior, Tevita Pangai Junior are posing for a picture: MailOnline logo
© Provided by Daily Mail

NRL fans have glimpsed a softer side to footy hardman Tevita Pangai Jr after the player revealed the heartbreaking reason why he missed his Panthers debut.

Pangai Jr and his partner Anna Inoke were forced to say goodbye to their baby girl Georgia after she was delivered stillborn at 24 weeks in August.

The NRL star was informed Georgia was to be delivered early at a training session and travelled from the footy camp to be by his wife's side throughout the difficult ordeal.

Tevita Pangai Junior posing for the camera: (

© Provided by Daily Mail

The former Brisbane Broncos star has since praised Panthers coach Ivan Cleary for his understanding, after he was ruled out of his debut match due to a 'deeply personal and sensitive matter' as was described by the club at the time.

'Ivan just said, "Take as much time as you want off and be with your partner",' Pangai Jr told 9NEWS.

'He was really supportive and obviously he's got kids of his own and he's really family-orientated.'

The 25-year-old opened up on the impact of the devastating loss and said NRL players deserved the same compassion as everyone else.

'Especially for my partner it's been tough, but I'm trying to be there as much as I can. It hit me hard.

a woman standing in front of a crowd: (

© Provided by Daily Mail
a man sitting in a room: (

© Provided by Daily Mail

'At the end of the day, people look at us as overpaid footy players and entitled, but we're just as human as the public are and this hurt me.'

The grief-stricken couple held a funeral service for their daughter Georgia Lose Galilee Pangai with other family members in Brisbane on August 15.

'Don't think anything can compare to the heartache of losing your own child, but we're so grateful to our family for all they have done to help us get through these past few days,' the couple wrote in a post online.

'We have felt so much love in spite of losing our little love. We miss you so much already our precious girl. Our Father in Heaven had other plans for our Georgia. We love you so so much! Till we see your sweet face again darling.'

a person in a garden: (

© Provided by Daily Mail

The heartbroken footy player said on the morning of their daughter's passing his wife had mentioned to him she couldn't feel the baby kicking.

Pangai Jnr said he had looked forward to holding his daughter on his chest, watching her and his wife play and dropping her off on the first day of school.

'We plan and plan and plan, but our creator is in control, and we just play our part,' he wrote on Instagram.

'Be with mum always and me my little baby girl… May God ease our pain and anyone else suffering.'

The couple - now reunited with the Panthers - buried their daughter next to her grandmother Georgia Inoke who she was named after.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why post photos of her in the hospital & photos of her grave. Probably just me that thinks it's a bit off do do that.

Last edited:

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Horrible news for them, something no parents should have to go through hopefully better days ahead

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Touching story, the cradle dedication when he scored was very poignant.Go hard big guy, your time will come soon to start a family i'm certain wish you all the best.
PS..can't wait to see you ripping it up in our jersey bud. :hearteyes:

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really sad to hear, may it be easy on him
and his family. On another note, I guess the second picture of Tevita some what confirms he is now a Muslim ? May be wrong

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always painful to see this type of thing happen.

good to hear they have the support they will require to be able to move forward.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss TPJ. I know the feeling my wife and I went through the same thing 5yrs ago. May your little angel rest in peace.
I'm sorry to hear this, Robbie. It must be heart breaking for you & seeing stories like this would bring it all back for you. Best wishes to you & your wife & hope that either you have had children since or will in the future.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2 games 2 tries...TPJ will be a gun for us.. sad story btw..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Such a sad story. My sincere condolences to you and your wife Tevita. No parent should have to see their child die.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Such a sad situation to have to deal with and my love and thoughts are with both Tevita and his partner . So beautiful and brave of them to share with others and I feel that it at least gives them a bit of comfort to be able to verbalize their grief. Although she is gone she will never be forgotten and will be spoken of fondly in the future.

My brother and his wife went through the pain of having to deliver their child, a beautiful baby girl who had died in the womb at age 7 months. they were pregnant with their first child and were looking forward to being able to do all the things mums and dads do with their little ones.

What made it far worse for all of us, was the fact that the day this happened I had found out the joyous news that I was expecting my second child. News I was of course keen to share with my brother and sister in law.
He made a surprise visit to my house that very day, something that did not even tweak my curiosity and I was just bursting to tell him he was to be an uncle again. I did not get the chance because of the devastating news that he simply imparted with the words " "Spent the morning in hospital with **** and she lost our baby." Just like that. I was unable to even think how to console him or what to say without feeling bad myself.Of course my news remained unspoken. A hug and my time was all I could offer at the time.

Fast forward a few days to the day of the funeral, a burial where a tiny white coffin was placed into a grave, a priest saying beautiful uplifting words about the little one who was now in God's caring embrace....

I stood away from things for a little while feeling extremely guilty ,when my sister in law came over and hugged me. I dissolved into tears and sobbed and I was at a loss to know exactly how she was feeling. I then heard her ask a question of me "Are you okay? You need to settle a bit....."I looked at her and then she said something that hit me like a hammer........." You're pregnant aren't you?.

Strangely it felt right to say "Yes" and when she said " I am so thrilled for you" after what had happened to her little one, well everything changed.
How did she know I wonder because no one else had been told not even Grandma and Grandpa...

Every year I think of my little niece who would have been 31 this year and I still have a picture of her, showing a beautiful peaceful looking little girl dressed in a white suit and laying on a comfortable bed, something I will treasure always. Thankfully my brother and sister in law had two more children, both healthy girls who have grown up in a loving household.

I hope that the young couple have a photo of their beautiful little girl to remind them that even though they never got to hold a living breathing child she will be forever in their hearts. I wish them all the best for the future and when the time comes that they will be as lucky as my brother and sister in law are.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope you and your partner find some peace with this Tevita, No parent should have to go through that, you did her proud on the weekend and showed real courage to play the way you did. Condolences to you and your partner.