News NRL rivals circle Adam Elliott after Bulldogs’ ‘low-ball’ contract offer

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whether he is worth keeping comes down to how much is spent on him and who do we miss out on because of his signing. I don't see him as ever being an elite player.
Jackson needs to play a middle forward role - he would be much more effective, particularly with the speed of the game under the new rules - the club is desperately short of decent first grade quality backrowers.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its fabulous!
reminds me of a Seinfeld episode about Jerrys jacket and George wanting to know the price ...
"i'm going to say a $1000 and if you dont say anything then i'm going to assume you paid a thousand dollars for that jacket!"

Elliot is a tough, hard working bulldog.

People are throwing around $500k - $600 grand like candy, how do we know he isnt just asking for $350,000? Until we know the right number then we cant just slam the bloke. Whether you like him as a player or not, name 5 players who defend, run and tackle harder than him in our team, then put the dollars you reckon they are paid and then judge Elliot.

ps we aint signing jurbo/bateman for $500k

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There is a price point. I ask you this lets take a good side, would he be one of their best players? No. At best and I mean at best he's a bench player in a good side. That doesn't tell e we should pay 600k plus for him. Sure he tries, but I'm so over paying through the roof for "triers" we need quality.
Keep paying overs like this on average forwards, there's nothing left for spine players.

Crazy to even contemplate over $350k for Elliott with the roster we have and need to replace.

A few saying poor Pay's got a shocking roster. Give the coach a break.... well some of those players have to go and its got to be those off contract in our 16th out of 16 last placed team!

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of Elliott and players performing during contract year always makes me hesitant. However he has been our best forward (not really a great achievement) and arguably our second best player this season.

I'd prefer not to keep him, but I was also in favour of cutting Jackson loose or at the very least holding back on re-signing him and offering him far less coin. If i had to keep one of the two then it's an absolute no brainer and that would be Elliott. Pretty much better than Jackson at everything, costs a couple 100k less and he's approaching his prime.

Unfortunately the people calling the shots for us look to be incapable of determining a players worth to the club and lack the ability to manage the high turnover of players required to correct our roster.
The Jackson contract was a huge mistake.
I don’t think he’s worth more than 400k and that would be showing loyalty. Another decision by the current board that will come back and bite us. Just lol. All you can do is lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
@TwinTurbo Just to clarify since you're throwing out the disagrees again.. So you think Elliott is better than Finucane and is as good as Cam Murray and Radley?
Much better than Finucane, who is one dimensional hence fits the Melbourne system, but without that would be just as useless with anyone else as he was with us.
Not as good as Murray, who just signed a $2m+ deal with the Wabbits for 4 years.
Not as good as Radley who is in the middle of a 5 year deal with the Chooks, which he signed when he was 19 and a relative unknown with potential. They took a gamble on a 5 year contract hence got him cheap, good young player recruiting, sometimes pays off sometimes doesn't. Hopefully he comes back OK from a horrible ACL injury that has him out for the season.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whether he is worth keeping comes down to how much is spent on him and who do we miss out on because of his signing. I don't see him as ever being an elite player.
Jackson needs to play a middle forward role - he would be much more effective, particularly with the speed of the game under the new rules - the club is desperately short of decent first grade quality backrowers.
Agreed move Jackson to lock and then it opens up a spot for Topine or Doorey. If I had to choose between Jackson or Elliott at lock I'd probably go with Elliott but Jackson is signed up long term.

It's interesting that the club listed Luke Thompson as a lock it probably doesn't mean much but if they are planning to use him there then Elliott is gone for sure.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/canterbury-bankstown-bulldogs/luke-thompson/

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep paying overs like this on average forwards, there's nothing left for spine players.

Crazy to even contemplate over $350k for Elliott with the roster we have and need to replace.

A few saying poor Pay's got a shocking roster. Give the coach a break.... well some of those players have to go and its got to be those off contract in our 16th out of 16 last placed team!
Agree. 350k would be the absolute maximum and i'd be uncomfortable with that because you are 100% correct, our spine is abysmal.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
was this supposed to be sarcasm , he is nowhere in the mix for origin At any time in the future . He ain’t getting lock ever, 3 way tussle with Radley/ Murray / turbo for starters and second rowers I can name a dozen that are around his age or younger that kill him already and they will only improve
Im pretty sure it is player managers who initially talk up players abilities n value - its marketing.
Elliot puts in - a good club level player but is he extremely skilled with the ball, is he a tackle busting runner of the ball or a feared defensive player?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better than Finucane, who is one dimensional hence fits the Melbourne system, but without that would be just as useless with anyone else as he was with us.
Not as good as Murray, who just signed a $2m+ deal with the Wabbits for 4 years.
Not as good as Radley who is in the middle of a 5 year deal with the Chooks, which he signed when he was 19 and a relative unknown with potential. They took a gamble on a 5 year contract hence got him cheap, good young player recruiting, sometimes pays off sometimes doesn't. Hopefully he comes back OK from a horrible ACL injury that has him out for the season.

Go Dogs
Disagree on Finucane who should be playing Origin this season. Does what Elliott does except the bonehead dumb errors, and makes plenty of metres.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
was this supposed to be sarcasm , he is nowhere in the mix for origin At any time in the future . He ain’t getting lock ever, 3 way tussle with Radley/ Murray / turbo for starters and second rowers I can name a dozen that are around his age or younger that kill him already and they will only improve
Slight hyperbole for the sake of fishing.....ooh, looks like I got a nibble. Are you new here? :P

Seriously, he does have a lot of potential and I think Radley, Murray and co would stand out a lot less in their own right if they played in a team this bad. The quality of a team and its culture makes a huge difference...... Elliott playing origin is certainly not a lock, but it isn't out of the question if he finds himself playing in a better side.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strongly disagree and I predicted all the other ones (evident in my previous posts)
He’s just an average forward.
He's a bench forward in a good side, that's it. What should you pay a bench forward? 250k maybe 300k at the most?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it is player managers who initially talk up players abilities n value - its marketing.
Elliot puts in - a good club level player but is he extremely skilled with the ball, is he a tackle busting runner of the ball or a feared defensive player?
Again, his defense is pretty bad and always seem to be the culprit of missing crucial tackles.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Slight hyperbole for the sake of fishing.....ooh, looks like I got a nibble. Are you new here? :P

Seriously, he does have a lot of potential and I think Radley, Murray and co would stand out a lot less in their own right if they played in a team this bad. The quality of a team and its culture makes a huge difference...... Elliott playing origin is certainly not a lock, but it isn't out of the question if he finds himself playing in a better side.
Cam Murray plays with a shit forward pack and is still highly rated by everyone. Their forward pack is better than ours but they're still not that great (and we signed one of their rejects Britt)

You leave Adam alone. Adam is different.
Adambo Ganelliot

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Cam Murray plays with a shit forward pack and is still highly rated by everyone. Their forward pack is better than ours but they're still not that great (and we signed one of their rejects Britt)
He plays with a decent pack....more to the point, he plays with a very talented backline which provides multiple points of attack and doesn't leave everything up to the forwards....Elliott overplays his hand at times because we have so many jokers in our deck....any objective judge can see the guy has a lot of talent.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ineffective tackles

Elliot 15
RFM 11
Jackson 9
Tolman 8
Creates opportunities through offloads, has vision and an expansive passing game.... also has a higher workload than a number of players listed in those defensive stats. He has been our best forward all year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Disagree on Finucane who should be playing Origin this season. Does what Elliott does except the bonehead dumb errors, and makes plenty of metres.
What do you mean by "does what Elliott does"? They're completely different players play style wise. Finucane's more of a prop if anything which is why the other user said he's "one dimensional". Elliott has all the skills to be a modern day lock which means you have to be able to ball play and have good lateral movement. Elliott is also more explosive than Finucane (speed, tackle breaks, offloads, etc). Finucane is solid and will get you more average metres per game running straight (but we're talking about locks not props). Also this year there's no difference between Elliott and Finucane's errors and giving away penalties.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Creates opportunities through offloads, has vision and an expansive passing game.... also has a higher workload than a number of players listed in those defensive stats. He has been our best forward all year.
That higher work rate counts for fuck all if your missed tackles and ineffective tackles are constantly high. 2nd highest and 1st highest amongst our forwards respectively, given he spends a large amount of time on the field and he defends in the middle no fucking wonder we struggle for field position and defence. I haven't even taken into account the stupid penalties or six again restarts he gives away.

Hes killing us defensively.