News NRL rivals circle Adam Elliott after Bulldogs’ ‘low-ball’ contract offer

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury favourite Adam Elliott could be in his final season at Belmore, with at least two NRL rivals circling the hardworking Bulldogs forward.

It’s understood St George Illawarra and Canberra have expressed interest in Elliott for next season and beyond.

The Bulldogs have had one meeting with Elliott’s management about extending his time at the club.

Adam Elliott has sparked the interest of other NRL clubs.
But it’s believed talks have not progressed after the initial terms of a contract extension were perceived as a “low-ball” offer.

With NSW Blues forward Tyson Frizell headed to Newcastle after season 2020 and uncertainty about the playing future of Jack de Belin, the Red V are looking to shore up their forward stocks.

The Raiders are also looking to add some starch to their pack after the club agreed to release Englishman and Dally M Backrower of the Year John Bateman at the end of this season.

Only two weeks ago Elliott talked about his affinity for the Bulldogs.

Adam Elliott could have played his last season at Belmore.
“I‘d jump in front of a train for the club but I’ve got a young family now and it’s that point in my career where I have to make smart decisions, informed decisions. I’m just going to turn up and try and play as good as I can for the Bulldogs and, hopefully, that will sort itself out,” Elliott told Fox League after Canterbury’s Round 6 loss to the Sharks.

Elliott, touted as a future Bulldogs captain, arrived in Belmore from Tathra as a 14-year-old and has played 87 NRL games since making his debut in 2016. But with the arrival of English forward Luke Thompson, and with Raiders forward John Bateman on Canterbury’s radar for season 2021, Elliott could be squeezed out. Thompson officially joined the club this week after he was granted an early release from English Super League side St Helens.

Elliott leads the competition for lock forwards this season in offloads (12) and try assists (2), and is fourth alongside Victor Radley for tackle busts.

New signing Luke Thompson during Bulldogs NRL training at Belmore Sportsground, Sydney. Picture: Brett Costello
He re-signed with the Bulldogs in 2017 despite bigger offers from at least three other clubs including Parramatta and New Zealand Warriors.

In February last year, Elliott offered to take a pay cut to help the club’s then-poor salary cap situation.

The Bulldogs have eight other players off-contract at the end of the season — Jack Cogger, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass and Aiden Tolman — while young outside back Morgan Harper has signed with Manly.

Bulldogs off contract: Adam Elliott, Jack Cogger, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/19d2e545f3ee2fe4ddaf5ce7f666a953

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NRL rivals circle Adam Elliott after Bulldogs’ ‘low-ball’ contract offer

Daily Telegraph 01/07/2020.

Canterbury favourite Adam Elliott could be in his final season at Belmore, with at least two NRL rivals circling the hardworking Bulldogs forward.

It’s understood St George Illawarra and Canberra have expressed interest in Elliott for next season and beyond.

The Bulldogs have had one meeting with Elliott’s management about extending his time at the club.

But it’s believed talks have not progressed after the initial terms of a contract extension were perceived as a “low-ball” offer.

With NSW Blues forward Tyson Frizell headed to Newcastle after season 2020 and uncertainty about the playing future of Jack de Belin, the Red V are looking to shore up their forward stocks.

The Raiders are also looking to add some starch to their pack after the club agreed to release Englishman and Dally M Backrower of the Year John Bateman at the end of this season.

Only two weeks ago Elliott talked about his affinity for the Bulldogs.

“I‘d jump in front of a train for the club but I’ve got a young family now and it’s that point in my career where I have to make smart decisions, informed decisions. I’m just going to turn up and try and play as good as I can for the Bulldogs and, hopefully, that will sort itself out,” Elliott told Fox League after Canterbury’s Round 6 loss to the Sharks.

Elliott, touted as a future Bulldogs captain, arrived in Belmore from Tathra as a 14-year-old and has played 87 NRL games since making his debut in 2016. But with the arrival of English forward Luke Thompson, and with Raiders forward John Bateman on Canterbury’s radar for season 2021, Elliott could be squeezed out. Thompson officially joined the club this week after he was granted an early release from English Super League side St Helens.

Elliott leads the competition for lock forwards this season in offloads (12) and try assists (2), and is fourth alongside Victor Radley for tackle busts.

He re-signed with the Bulldogs in 2017 despite bigger offers from at least three other clubs including Parramatta and New Zealand Warriors.

In February last year, Elliott offered to take a pay cut to help the club’s then-poor salary cap situation.

The Bulldogs have eight other players off-contract at the end of the season — Jack Cogger, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass and Aiden Tolman — while young outside back Morgan Harper has signed with Manly.

Bulldogs off contract: Adam Elliott, Jack Cogger, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Kieran Foran, Kerrod Holland, Marcelo Montoya, Sauaso Sue, Isaiah Tass, Aiden Tolman.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s time to get out the Ricky Stuart “Whiteboard”....

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd jump in front of a train......but.
I'd also strip for you and you and you.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Always start low or starting high will be their low

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliot goes alright but I reckon he thinks his worth is a bit more than most clubs would spend.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You'd think greenberg was still here with these tightass offers
Api, Granville, Morris and now our best player.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Elliott is playing the best footy of his career but I'm always dubious about guys who do that in a contract year after a few seasons of average footy.

He's not worth overpaying for and he's easily replaceable. We could spend the 400-500k or whatever he's after towards a half like Burton who would have a far greater impact than Elliott ever could.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Theres omly so many above averga first graders in the nrl, we simply cant afford to lose them, because who are we replacing them with at the same cost?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Would've 100% taken him over Jackson.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looks very good in a shit side but he is yet to play origin or rep Australia. He can move on if he gets a better offer...

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our future captain. We need him. One of our best players always 100% effort

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
resign him, he turns up every week and seems to be just coming into his peak