NRL referees' boss Tony Archer backs Sydney Roosters prop Kane Evans' try

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Referees' boss Tony Archer has stood firm on the decision to award Kane Evans a controversial match-altering try on Friday night while the NRL has no plans to ditch the review procedure. Fairfax Media can reveal on-field referee Matt Cecchin was comfortable that Evans had put the ball on or over the try line, and only requested the video referees look at it to ensure the Roosters interchange prop had not fumbled the ball.

Evans appeared to fall short of the try line after steaming onto the ball and being met by a handful of Canterbury defenders when the Roosters were leading by just four points. But Cecchin signalled a potential try as he sent the decision to the video referee.

While replays failed to show the ball conclusively hitting the try line, video referees Bernard Sutton and Ben Galea awarded a try. Archer backed Cecchin's on-field judgment.

"Lead referee Matt Cecchin was in a very good position to make the live decision of try," Archer said. "His communication to the video referee was, 'I have a try, just check it wasn't lost before he grounded it'.

"The video referees reviewed the angles provided to them, and determined that they had insufficient evidence to overturn the decision based on the vision available. After reviewing the incident and based on the circumstances, I support that decision. I spoke to [Bulldogs coach] Des Hasler after the game and I explained that point to him."

Under NRL rules, on-field referees have to make a try or non-try decision, even if they are unsighted, before referring a decision.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said there was no plan to revert to the old system where referees would not have to make a live decision before sending a try to the video referee for a verdict.

"The system is one that is supported by the coaches and the clubs," Greenberg said. "In this case, the referee had an opinion and used the available technology to confirm his view.

"We want the referees to be the decision makers, and we want the video referees to be part of a review process rather than decision makers. That is why the system requires the video referees to have sufficient evidence to overturn a live decision."

Greenberg is pushing to have a bunker introduced into the NRL next year to produce better and faster decisions. Hasler supported a central command centre on Friday night, saying they would have "more cameras". A decision on the bunker is expected at the end of the year.

"We are also confident that the proposed central command centre will further improve our accuracy, efficiency and consistency levels in this process," Greenberg said.

The Bulldogs were unable to recover from the momentum swing after Evans' try, finishing 38-12 losers as they crashed out of the premiership race. Evans laid on another try three minutes later with a late off-load for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to put the game beyond doubt. Evans was adamant he scored: "I knew I got the ball down over the line," he said. "I knew it was a try, but when I was looking at the replay in slow motion, it looked a bit iffy. So I was happy it was awarded."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...op-kane-evans-try-20150919-gjqfp8.html?stb=fb

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
So everyone in the world says its a no try but refs and archer says its a try lol what a joke of a comp

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
So everyone in the world says its a no try but refs and archer says its a try lol what a joke of a comp
Mate iv been saying it for ever, sooner we get a break away comp the better. or else deal with these north Korean fu3kers for ever.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
he was fcken ten inches short before he propelled it over the line on double movement you incompetent dum wit!!

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Mate iv been saying it for ever, sooner we get a break away comp the better. or else deal with these north Korean fu3kers for ever.
I'm with you they can't even admit they fu##d up

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
there were 4 people closer than the Ceccin who saw no try!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So once again we have a situation where a decision is either confirmed or denied depending on the words uttered by the referee at the time. In other words it all comes down to semantics.

quote; Fairfax Media can reveal on-field referee Matt Cecchin was comfortable that Evans had put the ball on or over the try line, and only requested the video referees look at it to ensure the Roosters interchange prop had not fumbled the ball. unquote

Well in regards to this I was not comfortable that he had put the ball on or over the line and neither were the millions of other viewers who saw this little farce play out on their TV screens. Fumbling the ball was not even a consideration, considering it was a double movement.

And this little gem

quote:While replays failed to show the ball conclusively hitting the try line, video referees Bernard Sutton and Ben Galea awarded a try. Archer backed Cecchin's on-field judgment.;unquote

Don't these dicks rely on the replays to make their decisions. Once again the vision did not show the ball on or over the line until the very end and only after the vision confirmed that the ball was in fact grounded BEFORE the line and then advanced.

AND this one which really makes sense, make a decision even if it is the wrong one:

quote:Under NRL rules, on-field referees have to make a try or non-try decision, even if they are unsighted, before referring a decision.:unquote

If he was in such a good position and was confident in his decision why this?

quote:"Lead referee Matt Cecchin was in a very good position to make the live decision of try," Archer said. "His communication to the video referee was, 'I have a try, just check it wasn't lost before he grounded: unquote

And this little gem which bloody better be the case:

quote:We are also confident that the proposed central command centre will further improve our accuracy, efficiency and consistency levels in this process," Greenberg said.: unquote

Once again a cop out of massive proportions which shows the NRL is neither fair dinkum in its rulings nor caring about the fans of the game.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Don't think the Nrl will ever forget the bulldogs were the 1st team to sign with the super league back in the day. They fu3king hate us with a passion and will do anything to fu3k us over.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm sure he "backs" Cecchin all the time.

****ing corrupt faggots.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are certainly getting arrogant arnt they? This is how they do damage control by never admitting a mistake.

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the replay and can't understand how that could be given. They had 3 outs... he was short, lost control and promoted it after the tackle was complete. What has happen to this once great game!!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I see. Then Checcin is the incompetent one...he calls held...very clearly..then the Bulldogs players release their vice like grip on Evans to allow him to play the ball and as they do he then pushes down to the ground or falls......clearly short of the line ...the ball is grounded...then rolls onto the line.

After this rebuke from the NRL I want our club to write a formal letter of complaint to the NRL to protest the incompetence and lack of faith we have in the referees. For a multi billion dollar sport this is not good enough. Time to watch the Rugby World Cup. You've lost me you incompetent pack of assholes.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I just watched the replay and can't understand how that could be given. They had 3 outs... he was short, lost control and promoted it after the tackle was complete. What has happen to this once great game!!
what about the tackle was over and he was held.

jmaamary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Referee has to call held ... Would love to ask Cecchin if there was any danger he was going to call held this century

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Everyone knows it was no try. No bullsh1t spin is going to convince us otherwise. This just confirms my gut feeling from last night. If the club isn't going to stand up and protest the sh1tty treatment it is copping, the game just isn't worth me investing my emotions on it.... The club needs to know a large portion of its fan base isn't going to put up with this crap any more if it won't defend itself.

I don't care if opposition supporters call it sour grapes. Let the dust settle a few weeks if need be, but something needs to be done/ said.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Everyone knows it was no try. No bullsh1t spin is going to convince us otherwise. This just confirms my gut feeling from last night. If the dogs aren't going to stand up and protest the sh1tty treatment it is copping, the game just isn't worth me investing my emotions on it. The club needs to know a large portion of its fan base isn't going to put up with this crap any more if the club won't defend itself.

I don't care if opposition supporters call it sour grapes. Let the dust settle a few weeks if need be. But something needs to be done/ said.
If only Bullfrog was still around, He would have ripped them a new asshole.

doggies15

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"We want the referees to be the decision makers"

*cough* RIGGED! *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.