NRL Player draft: Phil Gould

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lls-for-nrl-player-draft-20170412-gvjikm.html

Say what you will about Gus but the guy is bang on in this case. One of the smartest ideas of how to spread the talent. Almost like waiving a player in American sport. With this system you can even have a player trade system too so you can trade players who are contracted.

Would be good to have a mind like his more involved in decision making in league hq.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith boss Phil Gould has called on the NRL to introduce an internal draft to level the playing field and take the air out of the inflated marquee player market.

The Network Nine commentator and premiership-winning coach said players and their managers were holding clubs over a barrel and able to drive up their asking price.

He pointed to the impending moves of Ben Hunt to St George Illawarra and Kalyn Ponga to Newcastle on contracts in excess of $1 million per season as proof that the have-nots of the competition were being forced to pay overs and that was inflating the market.

He said the NRL needed to introduce another market force to level the playing field and suggested that any off-contract player wanting to test the market should be entered into a draft.

NSW's most successful State of Origin coach said that the previous season's last-placed side would get first crack at meeting that player's asking price and that would force the game's biggest stars into re-thinking whether they wanted to leave their club.

"The market for marquee players is so high because there is such high demand and low supply for marquee players, particularly in key positions like your halves, your fullbacks," Gould said on his 'Six Tackles with Gus' podcast on the Channel Nine website.

"Because the market is set by the desperate clubs - the Dragons are desperate for success - they need to buy a player to get out of the doldrums they've been in over the last couple of years.

"So they go out into the market and they play extravagantly for Ben Hunt and that sets the market value for players of that position."

The NRL has reportedly put an offer to the Rugby League Players Association to set next year's salary cap at $8.3 million and Gould said at that mark no player was worth $1 million a year.

He was critical of the constant speculation about player movement which is being driven by the dozens of high profile stars - such as West Tigers' Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco, Cronulla centre Jack Bird and Warriors half Kieran Foran - who are off contract at the end of 2017.

He said an internal draft would not only force players to reassess whether to leave their clubs, it would allow the competition's strugglers to be competitive in the player transfer market.

"How can Newcastle replenish its stocks it if can't attract a marquee player? The only way it can is to pay double for probably an ageing player to finish his career at the club and that's not going to help them," Gould said.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The draft has already been deemed illegal in the courts. So really no point even discussing it.

The only reason he bring this up now it because Panther spend so much their juniors the draft would enable them cut spending on development.

Hôt-dawg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree there needs to be a system to keep your promising players.
Imo the NRL needs to stop making U20's the stepping stone. It's a big difference stepping up to first grade from playing ya own age. Asking or offered ridiculous money from playing in that grade is stupid. A small percentage of players live up to there U20's hype.
Make reserve grade the main passage again

jasonsmith1994

Waterboy
Reaction score
YEAH SURE DRAFT JUST LIKE IN THE NBA WHERE THEY CASH IN ON THE HYPE AND THEN WHEN THEY CANT DELIVER THEY GO STRAIGHT BACK TO DENIAL AND FAKE AN INJURY OR WHATEVER THEY DID FOR BENJI MARSHALL, ALL I WANTED TO SEE IS BENJI MARSHALL PLAY CENTRE FOR BRONCOS,IT HAD TO BE BULLSHIT

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The draft has already been deemed illegal in the courts. So really no point even discussing it.

The only reason he bring this up now it because Panther spend so much their juniors the draft would enable them cut spending on development.
He isn't saying put every nrl player through a draft. Only off contract players. So you still have your juniors and you can still renew your players contracts.

But the situation like with the dragons and knights who chased pinga and hunt and paid overs for them wouldn't exist because you either re-sign at your club or you test the market (literally) and you don't know if you will end up at the premiers or the wooden spooners.

Also with a trade if a team is desperate for a player (è.g the roosters for Tedesco) they will compensate the club (tigers) to attain the player instead of hoping he clears waivers to sign him.

A junior draft system won't work in the nrl because the clubs develop their own talent (as opposed to the NBA, NFL etc which college teams develop the juniors who have no affiliation with professional teams). A system like that will never work in Australia unles the NRL owns and runs every single junior league and club which will never happen.

I thought goulds idea was bang on and will stop some of these crazy contracts. 1.1 million or what ever it was for pinga is insane considering he only had 1-2 games under his belt.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He isn't saying put every nrl player through a draft. Only off contract players. So you still have your juniors and you can still renew your players contracts.

But the situation like with the dragons and knights who chased pinga and hunt and paid overs for them wouldn't exist because you either re-sign at your club or you test the market (literally) and you don't know if you will end up at the premiers or the wooden spooners.

Also with a trade if a team is desperate for a player (è.g the roosters for Tedesco) they will compensate the club (tigers) to attain the player instead of hoping he clears waivers to sign him.

A junior draft system won't work in the nrl because the clubs develop their own talent (as opposed to the NBA, NFL etc which college teams develop the juniors who have no affiliation with professional teams). A system like that will never work in Australia unles the NRL owns and runs every single junior league and club which will never happen.

I thought goulds idea was bang on and will stop some of these crazy contracts. 1.1 million or what ever it was for pinga is insane considering he only had 1-2 games under his belt.
I understand what your saying but it would a restriction of trade.

The players association would never go without major pay off like doubling the salary cap.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A Draft would not work because a player if drafted to a team he doesn't want to go to can pack up and go to French or Japanese Rugby.

It works in NFL, NBL, AFL because players can't really go to a comparable sport.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand what your saying but it would a restriction of trade.

The players association would never go without major pay off like doubling the salary cap.
I hear what your saying here, but really, restriction of trade is a bullshit excuse!!! Players wanting too much money is sending teams broke. And the struggling teams cant afford the best players. Nor do the vest players want to play for the worst teams. So its a vicious circle and all the RLPA want is to fatten the players pockets, which in reality only happens for the elite. So as far as im concerned its just a selfish money grab.

Perhaps there should be a maximum amount that any club can spend on any one player. Restriction of trade you say? Maybe. But if you dont like it you dont really have a choice unless you play a different sport, as the best money in rugby league is in australia. So if you want more money, then see you later. Go find another sport that can afford you.

As it is they are incresing the cap, but also adding another 5 players to your squad and increasing the min wage. But along with this every player also wants more money. Something has to give. Struggling teams like newcastle shouldnt have to pay overs to sign quality players.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A Draft would not work because a player if drafted to a team he doesn't want to go to can pack up and go to French or Japanese Rugby.

It works in NFL, NBL, AFL because players can't really go to a comparable sport.
In this case i say see you later. If you really want to play a different sport just for money, then go. Good luck to you.
The game is bigger then the players, and it provides the players with a fucking great lifestyle. If this isnt good enough for you, go and live in japan or france. Trust me, im living in france and as much as i love it here, id rather live in australia.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Gould I made a comment earlier this year where I said that a draft followed by the nines could generate more interest in teams and help teams with progression.

The youth system would need to and should be changed so that players that are 18 and eligible to play in the Nrl can declare for the draft and then on a fixed date all the teams would have a couple of picks with the wooden spooners going first and so on. Then a couple of weeks after the nines would be held with the clubs and there fans having a chance to see there drafted players for the first time which would not only increase interest in the Nines but also give the fans of lesser teams something to cheer about.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's a stupid idea. Every player has a right to work where they want just like how we have the same right. The only draft that can work is a rookie draft.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's a stupid idea. Every player has a right to work where they want just like how we have the same right. The only draft that can work is a rookie draft.
Only problem with a rookie draft is each team puts hundreds of thousands of dollars a year into junior league and develop their players from u5 all the way through to u20.

A rookie draft will more or less mean districts like the panthers and the knights and st George wouldn't be putting money into their junior teams if once they turn 17 any team can pick them up.

The only reason rookie drafts work in America is because the sport isn't professional until the top level. And no clubs have junior teams. There are 16 year olds in rugby league on professional contracts. The best players get signed up at 16 so a rookie draft will never work in the nrl unless the nrl runs and finances all the junior leagues. Or has a scholarship program similar to the collage system in America.

Imagine the outcry if you have someone like Cleary coming through your system for 5 years then when he turns professional any club can pick him up in a draft and the panthers get nothing for all they invested in him.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Obviously if there was a rookie draft no club would be allowed to have any teams besides in the NRL and Reserve grade. Let NSW/QLD cup teams run the juniors and they get rewarded financially for every player they produce.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They would still have a right to. Just dont sign elsewhere. The difference between the job of a professional athlete who wants to earn as much money as his greedy hands can hold, and a average income blue collar worker like the majority of australians is astronomical!!!! Therefore i dont think this is much of a comparison.
Sure its not perfect, and im not saying that i would personally enjoy this as a player, but the good of the game, and the longevity of the clubs that participate are far more important then one players cash grab. I think this is the real point here.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They would still have a right to. Just dont sign elsewhere. The difference between the job of a professional athlete who wants to earn as much money as his greedy hands can hold, and a average income blue collar worker like the majority of australians is astronomical!!!! Therefore i dont think this is much of a comparison.
Sure its not perfect, and im not saying that i would personally enjoy this as a player, but the good of the game, and the longevity of the clubs that participate are far more important then one players cash grab. I think this is the real point here.
And how about guys like Tim Browne who aren't on more than around 100K a year? You want him moving all across Australia every year or 2?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Drafts are bullshit.
They don't work.
So a superstar kid gets drafted to the knights ? Till when ? As soon as the transfer window opens, along comes uncle nick with $80squillion to play from the bench of the roosters.
All it really does is force poor teams to invest in development and never see any of the rewards.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Say good bye to junior Rugby League. What club will pay to develop anyone that could go anywhere else without anything they can do.

I didnt read the article though haha/.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The draft wouldbe an excellent idea. Stops players from club hopping. Stops teams from dumping players willy nilly. Forces teams to really engage in proper recruitment. Stops players salaries from reaching preposterous levels.
League is a business snd if you want to earn the money then you have to go wherever there is employment opportunities. Not a restriction of trade. You either play and accept the rules or you fuck off somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.