News NRL news: Unvaccinated players face sack after RLPA and clubs meet

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a nightmare scenario for the 24 registered NRL players still yet to be vaccinated, even their own union has backed a proposal that could see them lose their jobs.

Unvaccinated players could be given eight weeks to get the jab or face the sack under a “last resort” proposal that has been hatched by the players union and a cohort of club bosses.

The plan, which was shared with chief executives on Tuesday as part of a discussion paper, also gives clubs the option to place unvaccinated players on an inactive list for the entire season and pay them a fraction of their salary.

The players union and a select group of club chief executives have been locked in talks for several weeks as they attempt to find a uniform way to deal with unvaccinated players.

The draft discussion paper is the result of those talks. The most significant power for clubs would be the ability to terminate the contract of players who refuse to be vaccinated, although the Rugby League Players Association insists the power must only be invoked as a “last resort”.

The paper deems that clubs must give players eight weeks notice of their intention to mandate vaccinations. If the players fails to take steps to be vaccinated inside the eight weeks, the club has the right to terminate their contract. The player would then be free to sign with a rival club.

The document states that unilateral termination “should only be exercisable when a player does not comply with lawful and reasonable club direction”.

The document also insists that clubs should exercise extreme caution when directing players to be vaccinated and terminating their contract for failing to do so.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on Tuesday confirmed that as many as 24 players were yet to be vaccinated, although he remains confident that the majority of those will eventually fall into line.

Among their numbers are Melbourne star Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Manly back Dylan Walker. Clubs would also have the right to place the player on an inactive list, which would mean they were sidelined for the entire season.

The player would then be paid either 25 per cent of their salary or the minimum wage commensurate with their place in the salary cap.

The document makes it clear that the preference of both the RLPA and the clubs is that the player would be paid from a central fund.

The club would also be given the right to sign an additional player as a replacement. A third option would be for the club to retain the player on their roster and then dock their pay for each week of the season they are unavailable.

The final alternative would be a mutual termination.

“It is still a discussion document for the clubs but obviously we want the NRL to be part of it,” RLPA chief executive Clint Newton said. “At the moment we are trying to work through it with clubs and then align on something that we can take to the NRL.

“Different clubs will have different policies. Some clubs will be happy to carry a player through the season. Everything is up for discussion.”

Abdo addressed the vaccination issue earlier in the day, refuting suggestions that head office had gone soft by not mandating vaccinations.

“I think to think that just by making something mandatory people will blindly follow is not the only form of leadership,” Abdo said.

Just because we haven’t made it mandatory does not mean we’re not strongly supportive of vaccination. In fact, we’ve run a marketing campaign that the players have been front and centre of.

“We’ve provided access to healthcare experts. We’ve worked individually with all clubs, both the NRLW teams and NRL teams. We’ve really facilitated and led and over-indexed on education.

“As a result, we’ve seen a strong response from the players. I don’t think there’s anything soft about our policy. I think what we are doing is giving people freedom of choice, no different to many global sports around the world.

“We’re allowing people the freedom of choice, which I think is important, but we’re putting health at the forefront of our policy.

We believe in vaccination, and we want everyone to get vaccinated accordingly

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So how can another team sign a sacked player, if they are sacked for refusal to get the vaccine if you can’t play without it?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So how can another team sign a sacked player, if they are sacked for refusal to get the vaccine if you can’t play without it?
They must be the clubs mentioned that will be happy to sit players out (with full pay?)

"Different clubs will have different policies. Some clubs will be happy to carry a player through the season. Everything is up for discussion.”

Everyone will want a transfer to that team lol

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I look at it this way if you want to earn a 6 figure + playing a game you love just get it done. Other wise you will be on centerlink and struggle to make ends meat. most everyday jobs now require to have the jab it's the new normal we got live with weather we like it or not !!!!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely gutless by Vlandy and Abdo.. Leaving the hard work and responsability of policy to the clubs, and staying arms length when they should be showing leadership from the top the way the AFL has.

If you want to call not doing what the other 90+% of the country has by getting vaxed a "personal" choice then good for you. But, your personal choice has consquences and that includes not being able to fullfill your work obligations. By all means stay unjabbed, just get a new job.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a moral right on religious or family reasons for their actions,as I’m sure they understand the rights of their club to terminate their employment,the reality of 10k a week compared to $800 a week will sink in very quickly.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FMD Abdo has lost me (even more than he had before), he gets accused of going soft, denies it and then spends the next 10 minutes confirming that he is in fact going soft. Check out the "soft" words, "draft discussion paper" FMD why do they need draft of something that is going to be discussed. "Trying to work though it", try, you have got to be kidding;

1636510856113.png

WTF does this mean, "by making something mandatory people will blindly follow", hello that's the effect of making something mandatory, they either follow or they're out the door. Nothing blind about it.

Always a Bulldog

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL= weak as piss. So are teams going to have to pay players to stay in NSW when having to travel interstate????

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We can breath test people, make them wear a uniform or certain work gear, enforce start and finsih times, have performance clauses, non disclosure clauses, enforce union membership, protect against abuse or violence and dozens of other work related contract conditions that must be obliged that all of us happily comply with. But we cant make less than 10% of people be vaccinated like everyone else?

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We can breath test people, make them wear a uniform or certain work gear, enforce start and finsih times, have performance clauses, non disclosure clauses, enforce union membership, protect against abuse or violence and dozens of other work related contract conditions that must be obliged that all of us happily comply with. But we cant make less than 10% of people be vaccinated like everyone else?
<24 players unvaxed
16 clubs
30 players

16 x 30 = 480
24 / 480 = 5%

Weak as Piss NRL, letting less than 5% of players handicap you.

Always a Bulldog

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the NRL aren't going to lead like they should then the clubs should say they just won't go to victoria to play matches.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
QLD refusing to let unvaxed too?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s gonna happen one way or another only a matter of time till rugby league was gonna have to comply

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So they have a "freedom of choice" but they're being given no option but to get vaccinated? Just come out and admit it's compulsory. I hate how much these fuckwits at the NRL sound like politicians and contradict themselves.

I have no sympathy for those that don't want to get vaccinated. But don't pretend like they're not making it mandatory. As usual they're letting the RLPA and the clubs do all the heavy lifting.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If the NRL aren't going to lead like they should then the clubs should say they just won't go to victoria to play matches.
So they have a "freedom of choice" but they're being given no option but to get vaccinated? Just come out and admit it's compulsory. I hate how much these fuckwits at the NRL sound like politicians and contradict themselves.

I have no sympathy for those that don't want to get vaccinated. But don't pretend like they're not making it mandatory. As usual they're letting the RLPA and the clubs do all the heavy lifting.
And NZ too.

Always a Bulldog

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
QLD refusing to let unvaxed too?
I think they aren't going to let unvaccinated people into stadiums at the very least.

i heard on the radio this morning the Broncos are close to being fully vaccinated, and the other two teams said they were confident they would be right in time, so it might be a non-issue at least for the QLD teams.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think they aren't going to let unvaccinated people into stadiums at the very least.

i heard on the radio this morning the Broncos are close to being fully vaccinated, and the other two teams said they were confident they would be right in time, so it might be a non-issue at least for the QLD teams.
Qld teams playing in Qld would be a non issue, they'll just demand that all of their games are played in Qld, problem solved. Tough luck if their opposition is missing some players.

Always a Bulldog

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m surprised it’s not mandatory across all workplaces. I’m hearing there’s worker’s compensation claims left right and Center, from people contracting COVID at work because there were unvaxxed workers. If someone was to die, they’d be sued for god knows how much