Opinion NRL MUST BE PROUD

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been 32 games so far
The average winning margin is 20.36 points
The favourite has won on 24 of the occasions.
Only 3 teams have been behind at half time to go an win.
Vlando ball = Blow outs + predictability + injury after injury

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Because bottom teams can't compete with top 4 teams for signings and when the NRL makes all clubs spend 95% of the cap, it means non top 4 teams or bottom 8 teams have to overpay for average players just to fill their cap.

Teams should be able to spend as little cap space as they want. The whole thing is rigged to favour the established teams.

The Roosters and Melbourne have made up most of the last decade plus of Grand Finals and comps. I've never seen the league this non competitive
The other issue with having to spend 95% of your cap is that players and player managers aren’t willing to take one year cap friendly deals, so clubs are inevitably fucked for multiple years, stuck with trash players they’ve paid overs for and can’t move on.

doesn’t matter though when the successful clubs are paying players shit loads through TPAs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The other issue with having to spend 95% of your cap is that players and player managers aren’t willing to take one year cap friendly deals, so clubs are inevitably fucked for multiple years, stuck with trash players they’ve paid overs for and can’t move on.

doesn’t matter though when the successful clubs are paying players shit loads through TPAs
Exactly. Dumb clubs like us keep giving average players questionable three year deals which prolongs the pain. Foran, Napa, Chrichton, Stimson, Montoya etc..

Same with the Tigers with Cleary and his deals for Mbye, Packer, Reynolds etc..

Player managers and players get way too much money and security relative to their talent. The not having clubs spend 95% of their cap is an easy fix to the problem, but the NRL won't change it as it keeps the good teams in the top 4 and the bad teams at the bottom.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There has been 32 games so far
The average winning margin is 20.36 points
The favourite has won on 24 of the occasions.
Only 3 teams have been behind at half time to go an win.
Vlando ball = Blow outs + predictability + injury after injury
Best post! A 20 point average margin should be a fireable offence for the CEO of any sporting league.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Best post! A 20 point average margin should be a fireable offence for the CEO of any sporting league.
Just for comparison, margins for the two rounds of super league this year:
Rd1 7.8
Rd2 23.8

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just for comparison, margins for the two rounds of super league this year:
Rd1 7.8
Rd2 23.8
They were stupid enough to copy the rule changes for some reason. Usually they act more independently and for the better.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL are actually killing the game not promoting it not all teams are super teams like roosters or Melbourne

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think it has anything to do with the current draw? Ours is terrible, playing all the top teams in the first 10 rounds sometimes twice. While conversely all the top 4 teams are playing the bottom third teams. So there will be some big scores racked up as a result. As opposed to a more balanced 3rd vs 6th type of thing.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The game is clearly broken. Blowout scores should be an abnormality. As it is a close game is a rarity. There aren't a lot of fans of any sport that will want to watch their team get flogged regularly because a rule change has made the game faster. This could very quickly result in half the fans just switching off and killing the ratings. This will only become worse as more clubs lose players to injury and even less talent is available. Even if they scrub out the 6 again rules tomorrow a lot of clubs are already in serious trouble with players scrubbed out.
I agree you can say sore loser bla bla bla but I’m not watching forever if we don’t score points. Put it this way one of my my first ever pictures of me is with a Bulldogs jersey on so no one can question my loyalty but I’m not watching if we get flogged every game. It defeats the purpose of sport.