News NRL Memes case

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From, news.com.au today:

Montanna Geyer: Fouad Ghosn, alleged NRL Memes owner, claims he has never used social media
A man accused of running meme pages that wrongly said an NRL star’s daughter was in a sex tape has denied lying during a heated cross examination.

Heath Parkes-Hupton
NCA NewsWireNOVEMBER 12, 20209:08AM

An aspiring journalist accused of running a rugby league memes pages on Facebook that wrongly linked an NRL great’s daughter to a sex scandal claims he has never used social media as he is “extremely private”.
Montanna Geyer, daughter of Panthers icon Mark Geyer, is suing western Sydney man Fouad Ghosn for defamation over the March 2019 posts incorrectly naming her as the woman shown in Penrith player Tyrone May’s infamous sex tape.
Ms Geyer is seeking damages and claims the posts defamed her on six grounds, including that she was intimately involved in May’s sex scandal, and that she was an “indecent and lewd person” who allowed May to film her during sex for the purpose of sharing with others.
Fouad Ghosn denies posting the memes. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel Carrett

Fouad Ghosn denies posting the memes. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
Fouad Ghosn claims to have never used social media.

Fouad Ghosn claims to have never used social media.Source:Supplied
Mr Ghosn, 24, denies ever owning or running the pages involved – NRL Memes and NRL Quality Memes – and told the District Court civil trial on Thursday that the allegation he did was “completely false”.
Under tense cross-examination from Ms Geyer’s barrister, Roger Rasmussen, the recent University of Western Sydney graduate denied publishing the two memes at the centre of the case on March 4, 2019.
“I don’t use social media and I don’t believe in it,” he said.
The court heard Mr Ghosn was “outed” as the administrator of both pages, which have since closed, on live radio by 2GB’s Ray Hadley on March 7, 2019.
Montanna Geyer says she was “broken” by the wrongful link.

Montanna Geyer says she was “broken” by the wrongful link.Source:Instagram
Montana Geyer arrives at court with father Mark Geyer on Thursday. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel Carrett

Montana Geyer arrives at court with father Mark Geyer on Thursday. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
The court had previously heard Mr Hadley received a call from Mr Geyer on the night the memes were posted, with the former State of Origin forward also making a call out through his Facebook to find the culprit.
Mr Geyer gave evidence on Tuesday that “everybody who responded” named the owner as Fouad Ghosn.

Mr Ghosn said he was “quite confused and upset” to find himself publicly named and shamed, claiming he was told of the outing by friends who came to his North Parramatta home because he didn’t take calls or texts.
A day later, on March 8, 2019, the court heard NRL Memes posted a picture of Mr Hadley calling him a “petulant, egotistical, plagiarist d***head”.
Ray Hadley named Fouad Ghosn on his 2GB program. Picture: Renee Nowytarger / The Australian

Ray Hadley named Fouad Ghosn on his 2GB program. Picture: Renee Nowytarger / The AustralianSource:News Corp Australia
Mr Ghosn denied making the post, telling the court he had “absolutely nothing to do” with the page and sought legal advice from a lawyer.
He could also not explain how Ms Geyer’s statement of claim, hand-delivered to his house on May 23, 2019, ended up being posted to the page that same day.
Mr Ghosn was shown a screenshot of a Facebook profile from March last year bearing his name, photo and a banner picture of a Sydney Roosters player, but could not explain its existence.
Fouad Ghosn flanked by his barrister Jonathan Cohen (right). Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel Carrett

Fouad Ghosn flanked by his barrister Jonathan Cohen (right). Picture: NCA NewsWire/Joel CarrettSource:News Corp Australia
Mr Rasmussen pressed the defendant on how a communication student who majored in journalism would be able to graduate from university without using social media.
“Do you seriously tell this court that in a bachelor of communication at the University of Western Sydney they did not teach you about social media?” the barrister asked.
Mr Ghosn said it was not a requirement for him to personally use social media platforms.
“Sir, you are lying to this court that you did not publish those memes,” Mr Rasmussen later said.
“I’m not lying,” Mr Ghosn replied, having earlier stated he had taken an oath to tell “nothing but the truth”.
He also denied sending texts in 2015 to a man called Michael Ippaviz purporting to claim ownership of NRL Memes: “It never took place.”
The trial continues.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
How the hell would the statement of claim that was delivered to his house, end up on the NRL Memes page the same day if it wasn't him running the page? This guys defence is pretty stupid.

Although I guess knowing and proving this is are two different things.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How the hell would the statement of claim that was delivered to his house, end up on the NRL Memes page the same day if it wasn't him running the page? This guys defence is pretty stupid.

Although I guess knowing and proving this is are two different things.
It does seem a pretty high risk strategy - just claiming complete ignorance "it wasn't me".

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I want to buy a pair of those glasses he is wearing...... what a look!!!!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This little pooof (Not that there's anything wrong with that!) needs a good old fashion clip around his ears. Do they realise the lives they ruin could easily be theirs?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lel
We all know it was him
Awaiting sentencing. Should be good for some lols

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably will just declare himself bankrupt and nothing will come of it except an inconvenience if he applies for Credit and stuff. Looks like his lives at home so no assets to go after.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a utter and complete fuck wit! "I've never used social media" has got to be the worst defence in history ever!

He got found guilty of defamation (just read on foxsports). And he will probably declare bankruptcy (as Rockford said) pay fuck all and get away with it. I hope he cops some unavoidable punishment. Needs life lesson this ****! A nice slap across the face from Mark would do fine.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a fuck wit
Geez the bird looked like her tho lol