NRL makes massive blunder re Rhyse Martin kicking position.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who were wondering why it looked like Reece was kicking the goal a lot
More wider than were we scored close to full time,
Well the mark was set incorrectly and Graham Annesley Called dean pay to apologise.
I’m sure the few metres would of made a huge difference?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still think kicking from the sideline was an easier shot. Had he have gotten it, other fans would've been calling us cheats. Just can't win.

Martin will learn from that experience. We were just unlucky in the end.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still think kicking from the sideline was an easier shot. Had he have gotten it, other fans would've been calling us cheats. Just can't win.

Why would other fans be calling us cheats if he had kicked it?

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
what pissed me off most is that the try scorer made no attempt to come back in. He wasted a good 3-4 metres running towards the sideline when he was well in the clear. Selfish and shortsighted of him. No one thinks about how to make the job easier for the next guy. It’s always about themself

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

The laws of geometry say its an easier kick closer to the sticks .. i dont know why people think its easiser to kick from the sideline

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

>

BULLDOGS

Canterbury's crucial conversion attempt taken from wrong spot after refs error

AuthorBrad WalterNRL.com Senior ReporterTimestampMon 8 Apr 2019, 05:26 PM

aterbury coach Dean Pay has expressed his disappointment at revelations a last-minute conversion attempt by Rhyse Martin to send Sunday’s match against Melbourne into extra time should have been taken three metres closer to the goal posts.

Martin missed the shot at goal from the sideline after winger Reimis Smith had scored to give the Bulldogs a chance to snatch a golden-point win but it was discovered on Monday he took the conversion attempt from the wrong place.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley spoke to Pay after the error was detected in a review of the round by match officials and he said referee Ben Cummins and assistant referee Tim Roby "clearly weren’t paying enough attention".

Martin, who has now kicked 41 goals from 45 attempts in his 16 NRL appearances, took the conversion attempt directly in line with where Cummins had walked after the Refs' Bunker awarded Smith’s try.

Roby had stood on the mark about three metres in from the sideline while Cummins was in the in-goal area talking to match review officials.

After the try was awarded to reduce the Storm’s lead to 18-16, Cummins and Roby began walking towards each other and they moved to the sideline.

Match Highlights: Storm v Bulldogs

"In our view the referees should not have allowed that to happen - particularly in the circumstances of the game - and that kick should have been taken another three or four metres in from touch," Annesley said.

"That doesn’t mean he would have got the goal but the referees have got a responsibility to ensure the kick is taken from the mark in line with where the try was scored."

Annesley said Pay wanted to know how the error had occurred.

"I have spoken to the Bulldogs about it but they didn’t bring it to our attention," Annesley said. "In fact, we were at our review this morning looking at it when I got the phone call.

"[Pay] was OK but he queried why it was taken in the wrong spot. He wasn’t blowing up about it.

"The goal misses by a fair margin and it is impossible to know if the extra three or four metres would have made any difference to that but this is something we should not be getting wrong.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who were wondering why it looked like Reece was kicking the goal a lot
More wider than were we scored close to full time,
Well the mark was set incorrectly and Graham Annesley Called dean pay to apologise.
I’m sure the few metres would of made a huge difference?
There are times when SORRY is not enough and this one of them

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
These last two games have galvanised us, we beat unbeaten team and went close to knocking off the runner up premiereships and in my opinion the bench mark team of the year

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the end of the day Martin kicked the tee, probably because it was a pressure kick on his weaker side and he would have been tired af… Shit happens... Move on.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

>

BULLDOGS

aterbury coach Dean Pay has expressed his disappointment at revelations a last-minute conversion attempt by Rhyse Martin to send Sunday’s match against Melbourne into extra time should have been taken three metres closer to the goal posts.

Martin missed the shot at goal from the sideline after winger Reimis Smith had scored to give the Bulldogs a chance to snatch a golden-point win but it was discovered on Monday he took the conversion attempt from the wrong place.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley spoke to Pay after the error was detected in a review of the round by match officials and he said referee Ben Cummins and assistant referee Tim Roby "clearly weren’t paying enough attention".

Martin, who has now kicked 41 goals from 45 attempts in his 16 NRL appearances, took the conversion attempt directly in line with where Cummins had walked after the Refs' Bunker awarded Smith’s try.

Roby had stood on the mark about three metres in from the sideline while Cummins was in the in-goal area talking to match review officials.

After the try was awarded to reduce the Storm’s lead to 18-16, Cummins and Roby began walking towards each other and they moved to the sideline.

"In our view the referees should not have allowed that to happen - particularly in the circumstances of the game - and that kick should have been taken another three or four metres in from touch," Annesley said.

"That doesn’t mean he would have got the goal but the referees have got a responsibility to ensure the kick is taken from the mark in line with where the try was scored."

"I have spoken to the Bulldogs about it but they didn’t bring it to our attention," Annesley said. "In fact, we were at our review this morning looking at it when I got the phone call.

"[Pay] was OK but he queried why it was taken in the wrong spot. He wasn’t blowing up about it.

"The goal misses by a fair margin and it is impossible to know if the extra three or four metres would have made any difference to that but this is something we should not be getting wrong.
Good to see the dogs questioning the NRL and letting them know they aren't happy about the situation's we are being put it. Expect some 50/50s boys and gals..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because its easier to kick it from the sideline than other spots on the field, mainly due to training. Everyone practices from the sideline.
Martin didn’t move it though he kicked it from where the refs told him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I dunno much about goal kicking but does the 3m thing matter? He sprayed it so hard, I doubt it would have helped.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

>

BULLDOGS