NRL Live Pass

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To all the technically gifted members of the kennel.

I have the NRL Live pass (Telstra mobile), where i can watch all the live games on my phone.

The question is, how can i watch it on my TV? I have an android box, so im not sure if i can download the NRL app and watch ith through there, or any other possibilities?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To all the technically gifted members of the kennel.

I have the NRL Live pass (Telstra mobile), where i can watch all the live games on my phone.

The question is, how can i watch it on my TV? I have an android box, so im not sure if i can download the NRL app and watch ith through there, or any other possibilities?
Does the app allow for chromecasting?

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does the app allow for chromecasting?
Wouldn't have a clue.

I have Telstra TV set top box, which i originally received when i signed up with Telstra back in 2011.

I havent used the Telstra TV since 2012, so im not sure if i can access it through that as well?

I had foxtel since 2011, though i had another outage last month, and i had enough of the pricks over the years so i got rid of it

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you have Apple TV you should be able to

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@Juicydog I can't speak much for Android based solutions but Apple-TV works solidly for both the NRL Live Pass and Kayo assuming you have decent Wi-Fi in your home.
For a while there they blocked casting on the NRL app and also limited the picture size to 7" on mobile (which was more obvious on a tablet than a phone) but I just checked the NRL app and AirPlay/casting function is back, so if you wanna invest in an Apple-TV, that's all you'll need for a pretty good experience.
For bang for buck purposes Apple-TV might be good for you for other things beyond the footy too - I use it for Netflix, Prime, Stan, the catch-up apps of the networks (9Now, iView etc) as well as Apple Music from time to time and other services.
Hope that helps.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
can only watch live pass on 7inch screen now, not on computer or tablet

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
can only watch live pass on 7inch screen now, not on computer or tablet
So they still limit Live Pass to 7" even though casting functionality is back in the app? That's one thing I haven't yet tried and haven't bothered since I've had Kayo - but if so, yeah, that would be a pretty poor experience on a TV.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So they still limit Live Pass to 7" even though casting functionality is back in the app? That's one thing I haven't yet tried and haven't bothered since I've had Kayo - but if so, yeah, that would be a pretty poor experience on a TV.
last night live pass wouldnt work on computer only on phone

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Haven't used it for a couple of years but they always had a anti-streaming stuff that blocked you if you attempted to stream it to TV.

That said, if you have the right Android TV box that thinks it's a phone then it may works but when it detects the TV out (HDMI) then it'll probably block it.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
@Juicydog I can't speak much for Android based solutions but Apple-TV works solidly for both the NRL Live Pass and Kayo assuming you have decent Wi-Fi in your home.
For a while there they blocked casting on the NRL app and also limited the picture size to 7" on mobile (which was more obvious on a tablet than a phone) but I just checked the NRL app and AirPlay/casting function is back, so if you wanna invest in an Apple-TV, that's all you'll need for a pretty good experience.
For bang for buck purposes Apple-TV might be good for you for other things beyond the footy too - I use it for Netflix, Prime, Stan, the catch-up apps of the networks (9Now, iView etc) as well as Apple Music from time to time and other services.
Hope that helps.
Thanks mate!!!!!

Much appreciated

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks mate!!!!!

Much appreciated
No worries mate but hold fire before you make any decisions on how you spend your hard earned...
I just tested it on Apple TV - Cocks v Panfers.
Seems you can cast non-game content from the NRL app from phone to TV (pressers, other video content) but actual game content they still block casting.
See attached pics - the one of Uncle Wayne is cast to a 65" TV via Apple-TV from the NRL app on iPhone, but the game ones are phone only - no casting allowed.
Also because the broadcast via the NRL app is the Fox broadcast, they're clearly directing traffic to Kayo, which they own.
You can get Kayo for $300/year or $200/year if you're an NRL club member - and that gives you a nice big screen experience via the Kayo app on your preferred TV interface - games and other Fox content including NRL360 and more - again in my case Apple-TV, but no pairing with phone required, just flick your TV/Apple-TV on.
Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. Cheers.

BigScreen.jpg

Phone1.jpg

Phone2.jpg

Last edited: