News NRL | Knights CEO Phil Gardner says the club will be doing everything it can to sign Kangaroos prop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
---Not sure if its been posted here yet...https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...after-getting-all-clear-to-negotiate/?cs=7580
Article:
NRL | Knights CEO Phil Gardner says the club will be doing everything it can to sign Kangaroos prop David Klemmer

Newcastle is in the box seat to sign marquee forward David Klemmer after the Kangaroos prop was formally given permission by the Bulldogs to talk to rival clubs.

The cashed-up Knights put Klemmer through a medical in Sydney on Tuesday morning which he passed with flying colours and are now preparing to bring the giant prop and his young family to Newcastle to meet with club officials and show them around the city.

Knights CEO Phil Gardner confirmed the Knights’ interest in Klemmer but denied they are on the verge of signing him.

“At this stage, he is not a free agent but he has been given permission to talk to everybody,” Gardner said.

“We would love to have Mr Klemmer here at our club and we will be doing our absolute best to get him to come to the club.

“But his agent now has the capacity to talk to anybody. I don’t want to get too excited because the moment he is a free agent, he is a free agent.

“Clearly, we would love to have him and we will be putting our absolute best offer to him within what we can afford.

David Klemmer

Asked about the chances of the Bulldogs releasing Klemmer, Gardner said:

“I’m not aware of their position but if I was in their shoes, I wouldn’t want a player who did not want to be there, particularly a marquee player like Klemmer is.

“So maybe they have come to the conclusion that if he doesn’t want to be there, they don’t want him because they can spend the money better somewhere else.”

Gardner denied the Knights have already offered Klemmer $4.6 million over four years.

“He is a marquee player so his numbers will reflect that status,”he said.

“But that [$4.6 million] wouldn’t be what we are offering. Certainly, I don’t know where that number has come from. That number has not come from us.”

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope our board puts the foot down.. We can't have bottom dwellers poaching our best player who is on contract regardless of his situation... they might think they are the Roosters but they need a reality check.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We are a fucking joke we now have shit teams like the noughts walking all over us

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Has 2 yrs left but has been given permission to talk to other clubs. That makes no fucking sense.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the club has given him permission then rumours earlier in the year must be true. 3rd party agreements went to shit when new board signed and he got pissed off when he found out how much the club was paying his best mate woods. That would have put a sour taste in his mouth and prob wants out.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fucking put your foot down and let the **** play in the ISP for the next 2 seasons

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hope his agent is keeping his tpa sponsors in the loop.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When was the last time we poached a marquee player from another club half way through his contract?

Answer : Never

When was the last time we had to let go marquee players half way through their contracts?

Answer: Hannant, Barba now Klemmer

Status
Not open for further replies.