NRL is ruined

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL is quickly becoming the worst run professional sport on the planet.

Bad calls in every game that is blunt cheating.

Vlandy wants gambling part of the game.

Fox sport saying south’s are pride of the league.

2gb happy and bragging south’s are first on the ladder.

we need super league 2.0

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL is quickly becoming the worst run professional sport on the planet.

Bad calls in every game that is blunt cheating.

Fox sport saying south’s are pride of the league.

2gb happy and bragging south’s are first on the ladder.

we need super league 2.0
Doubt they give a single fuck about an opinion like this. Overall viewership is through the roof this year

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, through inflated attendance numbers and TV ratings
You ever see the bot who posts replies on YouTube comments associated with rugby league?

The bot is correct.
In the next 20 years rugby league will pretty much be extinct in Australia.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do you have proof that they’ve fudged the numbers?
Nope I don't need it but using your brain it's not hard to figure out.

The quality of matches gets worse each week through changing variations of rules that confound people to no end adding to incompetence by match officials. Plus the fact that foxtel is owned by newscorp who have been known to over exaggerate ratings.

Plus based on the matches I've attended this year its pretty obvious the viewer ratings are aggrandized

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personal public attacks, gutless shit is a brain hemo.
So much for unbiased refs.
Turn the shit off.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Also the competition being so tight is no coincidence.

The way the comp is panning out this year it's going to be sudden death for a 3-8 spot until the final round!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Even though gambling has been associated with the NRL since at least 2013, long before PVL. And where else do they get the money? Even big sponsors like Telstra won’t pony up enough…
we need super league 2.0
Great idea.
Because Super League 1.0 worked so well :-).

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even though gambling has been associated with the NRL since at least 2013, long before PVL. And where else do they get the money? Even big sponsors like Telstra won’t pony up enough…

Great idea.
Because Super League 1.0 worked so well :-).
NRLol isn’t working well, every week there is something wrong with the game, new rules more penalties.
They want the game to be faster and at the same time safer.
One team gets players sent to the bin for hip drop another puts them on report.
It’s a circus.
tell me you are happy with the game as it is?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
NRLol isn’t working well, every week there is something wrong with the game, new rules more penalties.
They want the game to be faster and at the same time safer.
One team gets players sent to the bin for hip drop another puts them on report.
It’s a circus.
tell me you are happy with the game as it is?
Not completely but the fact is it’s now a multi billion dollar business, it’s not the traditional sport that was around when I was a kid and I get that reality. With every game live now it’s much easier for people to sit on their couch than bother going. That affects everything from gate takings to merch sales, F&B and sponsorships. The NRL needs to fight for wallet share with Netflix, Uber Eats and every other service of convenience we have today. If it’s not entertaining, people switch to one of many other options that was once never an issue for the NRL but now is.

If they’ve stuffed up anything in my opinion it was getting rid of the second referee when they brought in set restarts - sped up the game and less officiating, not very bright and just to save costs (mainly during Covid). Referees don’t ‘cheat’ mate - they do their best in a fast paced game and have to make split second calls which yes, they get wrong but that doesn’t equate to cheating or fixing. I’d love to see the armchair experts have a crack at the real thing and see how they go. That would be entertainment :-).

So no, it’s not perfect, they need to make rule interpretations more consistent and probably stop changing rules annually like they do and they need to supply more support for officials to create a fast and entertaining yet consistent and fair product.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not completely but the fact is it’s now a multi billion dollar business, it’s not the traditional sport that was around when I was a kid and I get that reality. With every game live now it’s much easier for people to sit on their couch than bother going. That affects everything from gate takings to merch sales, F&B and sponsorships. The NRL needs to fight for wallet share with Netflix, Uber Eats and every other service of convenience we have today. If it’s not entertaining, people switch to one of many other options that was once never an issue for the NRL but now is.

If they’ve stuffed up anything in my opinion it was getting rid of the second referee when they brought in set restarts - sped up the game and less officiating, not very bright and just to save costs (mainly during Covid). Referees don’t ‘cheat’ mate - they do their best in a fast paced game and have to make split second calls which yes, they get wrong but that doesn’t equate to cheating or fixing. I’d love to see the armchair experts have a crack at the real thing and see how they go. That would be entertainment :-).

So no, it’s not perfect, they need to make rule interpretations more consistent and probably stop changing rules annually like they do and they need to supply more support for officials to create a fast and entertaining yet consistent and fair product.
I respect your choice to think the way you do. But I just look at the slide from the point where rules were black and white to now where the refs interpretation can be miles apart on similar offences. I can't help but think that this slide started when gambling got it's hooks into the game. The NRL have implemented rules to try and stop clubs from pointing out the obvious fuck ups. But the standards have become incredibly poor despite abundant technology to help.

You do what you have to to keep enjoying the game. I personally think you are burying your head in the sand. I wish that I could. But I see things how I see them and that's basically the view that the refs couldn't be this inconsistent with calls if they weren't cheating.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I respect your choice to think the way you do. But I just look at the slide from the point where rules were black and white to now where the refs interpretation can be miles apart on similar offences. I can't help but think that this slide started when gambling got it's hooks into the game. The NRL have implemented rules to try and stop clubs from pointing out the obvious fuck ups. But the standards have become incredibly poor despite abundant technology to help.

You do what you have to to keep enjoying the game. I personally think you are burying your head in the sand. I wish that I could. But I see things how I see them and that's basically the view that the refs couldn't be this inconsistent with calls if they weren't cheating.
To each their own Al. Gambling got involved years ago, when brands like Tom Waterhouse were around. Same with fines for coaches bagging referees - that goes back probably 20 years so neither are new, so it’s not that. But as you say, everyone is entitled to believe whatever they wish and for mine it’s not head burying, it’s being able to understand perspective and reasoning beyond what you see right in front of you. The administrators aren’t stupid nor would they deliberately set up anything that is effectively criminal behaviour eg: Fraud. Why would they do that and risk the consequences? It just doesn’t make sense.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its footy. Its sport. Sport is about fair competition.

No way games are rigged for betting outcomes. No way refs can rig games. Too complex.

but

There is player bias, favoritism to "stars". You'd have to be blind not to see it (just ask Ricky:tearsofjoy:). Its fueled by the spectacle, the selling of NRL.
Players sign for under market value to certain clubs.
There is inconsistency from one match to the other on any given day with officiating that can hugely impact the game.
No-one can convince me there isn't a conflict of interest with the Sutton clan.
NRL have all this technology yet so many grey areas that leave you scratching your head asking how the fuck did they arrive at that conclusion.
More often than ever before.

Im sure I could go on but my point is how can there possibly be a fair competition?

Sometimes I wonder why I watch the sport.
It is purely because of the Dogs.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

No way games are rigged for betting outcomes. No way refs can rig games. Too complex.

but

There is player bias, favoritism to "stars". You'd have to be blind not to see it (just ask Ricky:tearsofjoy:). Its fueled by the spectacle, the selling of NRL.
There is inconsistency from one match to the other on any given day with officiating that can hugely impact the game.
NRL have all this technology yet so many grey areas that leave you scratching your head asking how the fuck did they arrive at that conclusion.

Im sure I could go on but my point is how can there possibly be a fair competition?

That’s exactly how I see it.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I understand what you’re saying, but at the same time you have to scratch your head with some of the calls the refs give out, I’m not just talking about referring the dogs I’m talking about the whole comp in general.
Game by game you can have the same action but different ref interpretations.
Ref has his point of view then the bunker has its own view and the match committee has its own views.
There been a few games won by refs decisions and that’s the problem there is no compensation for a bad call.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying, but at the same time you have to scratch your head with some of the calls the refs give out, I’m not just talking about referring the dogs I’m talking about the whole comp in general.
Game by game you can have the same action but different ref interpretations.
Ref has his point of view then the bunker has its own view and the match committee has its own views.
There been a few games won by refs decisions and that’s the problem there is no compensation for a bad call.
Yes that’s true so that’s why officiating overall likely needs to be examined and why I say bring back the second ref. Covid is over, it’s not a cost saving measure anymore. Or are they trying to justify the millions spent on the bunker? Technology was supposed to improve officiating and make it more accurate but it’s probably achieved the opposite - made it more complicated and inconsistent. I don’t disagree with that at all. But that’s quite different from ‘cheating’ or ‘fixing’ results. NRL referees are highly paid professionals earning $250k+ annually, so they should be accountable for consistency and the NRL should be running this tightly. I’m guessing one of the issues is scrutiny which makes it harder to attract recruits, but I agree It’s not really good enough for Annersley to come out on a Monday and say ‘we got that wrong’. There will always be mistakes but there appears to be a lot more of them these days.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score

but

There's been known betting scandals in the past but in no way is the game rigged