News NRL: Interim Canterbury coach Steve Georgallis keen to talk to Cowboys about coaching opportunities

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interim Canterbury coach Steve Georgallis has confirmed he is interested in coaching North Queensland either as a head coach or an assistant.

Georgallis is open to opportunities after the Bulldogs signed Trent Barrett as the club’s next coach for three seasons, starting next year.
Georgallis hasn’t heard from the Cowboys, but he would like to open discussions.
I’m prepared to put my hat in the ring for any job,” Georgallis said.

“As you well know, we are all off contract at the end of the year. Whether that be an assistant coach or a head coaching job.

“I’d also love to stay here (at Canterbury) as well.

“I haven’t talked to the club yet, but any interest would be great. Obviously, those head coaching jobs don’t come up too often, but I haven’t heard anything at the moment
On the recruitment front, Georgallis remains hopeful that five-eighth Kieran Foran will remain at Canterbury despite the playmaker rejecting the club’s initial offer of less than $400,000 for a season.

Foran had been linked to Newcastle where he would join lifelong friend, Mitchell Pearce
I think the negotiations are going quite well from what I hear,” Georgallis said.

“It hasn’t affected Kieran’s preparation.

“Mentally he wants to play this week and give it his best. I mean, I’m pretty sure he wants to stay here.”

Canterbury take on a Melbourne team without captain Cameron Smith and star fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen on Saturday, but Georgallis is still wary of a potent Storm side.

“Those teams that are on top of the comp, there is a reason why,” Georgallis said.

“Through their clubs they are quite structured, and everyone knows their job, so they are going to be just as hard without Cameron Smith.

“The other Smith is quite a good player and he brings a lot to their style, and we are going to have to watch him around the ruck.

“The young fullback Nico Hynes has got an opportunity to show what he can do, so they (Melbourne) are going to be just as hard to beat.”
Source Matt lounge news.com.au

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats good we need a whole clean out!
Get rid of that Hasler smell!!
Yesh i agree ... we may have seen some improvements since pay has gone but s.g was still part of the initial problem.. would t.baz and s.g have any history together considering they were both from Penrith?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yesh i agree ... we may have seen some improvements since pay has gone but s.g was still part of the initial problem.. would t.baz and s.g have any history together considering they were both from Penrith?
I think Barrett will need to get an experienced coach as an assistant to help him out.

Reactions: GDR

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran thinks he is worth more than $400k.
What an insult from a player who is physically broken and can't play out a full season in the past what, five years? Happy to be corrected because I've lost count.

As for SG, I wish him well.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me either way if SG stays or goes. As an assistant you would have to follow the main plans of the head coach so it would be hard for him to put his stamp on things.

He's done well in lower grades and his press conferences sound 100 times better than what Pay ever said but the decision is Barrett's.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me either way if SG stays or goes. As an assistant you would have to follow the main plans of the head coach so it would be hard for him to put his stamp on things.

He's done well in lower grades and his press conferences sound 100 times better than what Pay ever said but the decision is Barrett's.
I think SG has been doing a fair job taking all things into consideration,the fact he is trying to mix it up a bit and bringing others to the fold is a good ploy overall.

In saying that and absolutely nothing against him I would still prefer Trent to bring in some fresh faces to assist in general.
I’m not up to speed on all the current on field football staff which assist our head coach and not suggesting a full clean out but this is the time to freshen up a bit.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SG probably knows most players better than anyone else... As an incoming coach you would want that guy around wouldn't you?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
SG probably knows most players better than anyone else... As an incoming coach you would want that guy around wouldn't you?
He knows the players so well he has given Lewis the keys to the city so to say. And pretty much assured him an extended shot at the 7. Even though he has had plenty of shots :p

not fussed if he stays or if he goes.If he does stay I’d give him his own team. Be it flegg or reserves. No point having him as an assistant any more as he has proved he has got us playing slightly better (we must be averaging close to 20ppg in the last 3 games no?) that’s a big improvement from the end of desball and the start of pays madness strategy.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SG mention on talkin sport it not just him but all the football department is off contract.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Giving Lewis an extended run as coach is like walking into a fortune 500 company with a TAFE degree. Bloke will never get a job based off this one selection.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either that or baz has other plans or the board is going to hand the reigns to barrett to overhaul the department