News NRL in talks about Super Lge stake

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NRL in talks about Super Lge stake: report | The Canberra Times | Canberra, ACT

CEO Andrew Abdo has been in talks about the NRL having a stake in Super League, says a UK report.

CEO Andrew Abdo has been in talks about the NRL having a stake in Super League, says a UK report.

Australia's National Rugby League (NRL) has approached its English counterpart, the Super League, about purchasing an equity stake in a deal that would shake up the sport, according to a report in Britain.
Britain's Sky News reported on Wednesday that the NRL had held talks with the Super League over the last few days about a possible deal.

The talks, which are at a very early stage, are expected to continue next week, according to insiders.
According to Sky, precise details of the terms envisaged by the NRL were unclear, although senior figures inside the sport said they expected the NRL to seek a controlling stake in the Super League if a deal is to proceed.

One observer told Sky that the value of a 50% stake in the Super League was approximately PS75 million ($A135 m).
Robert Elstone, the Super League's chief executive, has discussed the idea with Andrew Abdo, his counterpart at the NRL, although sources cautioned that there was no guarantee that a formal offer would be made or any agreement reached.

Malla

Reaction score
How good is Vlandy's

Doesn't spend money on useless shit like a bunker or hire staff on massive salaries to do fuck all

Clearly looking to buy assets and secure the future of the NRL

Genius

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is Vlandy's

Doesn't spend money on useless shit like a bunker or hire staff on massive salaries to do fuck all

Genius
All while telling the players that wage cuts are in the works because they have no money.

Malla

Reaction score
All while telling the players that wage cuts are in the works because they have no money.
Short term pain, long term gain.

Players get paid enough, long term sustainability is more important than a players wage, I am sure you understand that

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acquisition of assets is generally acquired through equity, payroll is a cash flow issue.

In saying that they could have handled the payroll better.

I 5hink its a smart move.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Short term pain, long term gain.

Players get paid enough, long term sustainability is more important than a players wage, I am sure you understand that
I'm not saying it would be a poor investment. But it would be highly hypocritical to cry poor to the players and then supposedly find a hundred million in between the couch cushions for an investment like this.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Acquisition of assets is generally acquired through equity, payroll is a cash flow issue.

In saying that they could have handled the payroll better.

I 5hink its a smart move.
It's got some risks too. Assuming that they operate on a similar financial model. Offering grants to clubs that are at present not receiving any operations budgets. The cashflow issues can become more difficult.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is Vlandy's

Genius
Yeah I think COVID was a wake up call, in more ways than one.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Overall the game has to grow if it is to have a future. So long as they really do utilise moves like this to bring about real growth, it will work out and be seen as a smart deal.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon it will make the game stronger.... Who owns the super league anyway?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me its another case of grabbing at straws in a desperate attempt to save the game, which is in big trouble because of the miss management, due to the fact that the game has been managed by two warring tribes since the SL war with the deep seated hatred still alive and well.
Proof of the fact that Ch9 are looking after their pets the Rotters, and News Limited the Storm.
If anyone doesn't want to believe it, they should just ask themselves why those 2 clubs are miles ahead of the rest.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
super league needs all the help it can get