NRL Footy Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No it isn't.
But seriously dude... I think it’s influence on the game is pretty transparent at times...
No it isnt.

People gamble every single day of their lives
Well yeah, of course they do .... that’s not really an argument...

People do all sorts of things on a daily basis you could argue to be non constructive... no doubt to many it is harmless... but for me the societal question is really does it do more harm than good?

The footy related question is different altogether- does gambling have too much influence on the game and the way it is officiated and administered?

I’m not lobbying to prohibit it, I’m not into prohibition. But I think personally it has a detrimental impact on society and wouldn’t punt myself... I’ve seen it do a lot of damage. I do think it’s a bit of a scourge tbh.

Not for prohibition but the industry should be more strictly regulated and it’s influence over sports and sporting agencies should be reined in IMO

In short, yes it is! :p

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But seriously dude... I think it’s influence on the game is pretty transparent at times...

Well yeah, of course they do .... that’s not really an argument...

People do all sorts of things on a daily basis you could argue to be non constructive... no doubt to many it is harmless... but for me the societal question is really does it do more harm than good?

The footy related question is different altogether- does gambling have too much influence on the game and the way it is officiated and administered?

I’m not lobbying to prohibit it, I’m not into prohibition. But I think personally it has a detrimental impact on society and wouldn’t punt myself... I’ve seen it do a lot of damage. I do think it’s a bit of a scourge tbh.

Not for prohibition but the industry should be more strictly regulated and it’s influence over sports and sporting agencies should be reined in IMO

In short, yes it is! :p
Tl;dr ;)

No it isn't

You can argue detrimental to any aspect of society. Excess of anything may be bad but it shouldn't mean a complete ban. Yes varying degrees of limitations dependent on the impacts

As far as gambling ruining lives, there's a number of combining factors it's not just gambling itself

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Tl;dr ;)

No it isn't

You can argue detrimental to any aspect of society. Excess of anything may be bad but it shouldn't mean a complete ban. Yes varying degrees of limitations dependent on the impacts

As far as gambling ruining lives, there's a number of combining factors it's not just gambling itself
Well if you’re not going to read my posts I’m certainly not going to debate you... but I WILL argue

Yes it is

I know, I know... that’s just a contradiction

Any other minty python fans out there may be mildly amused by this! Haha

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well if you’re not going to read my posts I’m certainly not going to debate you... but I WILL argue

Yes it is

I know, I know... that’s just a contradiction

Any other minty python fans out there may be mildly amused by this! Haha
There was a wink, I read it, A WINK!!!!!

snowflake :tonguewink:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There was a wink, I read it, A WINK!!!!!

snowflake :tonguewink:
Haha but I specifically said I wasn’t gunning for prohibition but for tighter regulations as a while and more controls to curb influence in sporting comps.

I agree it is a part of life these days, but the industry is running roughshod right now...

It’s like saying the banks are a scourge. I think you could say that in many ways, but I’d still advocate for investigating and better regulating them, not out and out shutting them down.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The pube ad is digusting, but the Tallis ones are cringeworthy and creepy as fuck.

They need to ban betting advertising in the same way alcohol and smoking advertising is banned.
It’s funny, they say gambling can be linked to depression and mental health issues and it’s so bad, yet they promote it and get away with it by saying ‘gamble responsibly’ lol like what the fuck does that even mean.

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was watching the Sunday Footy show and then there's stupid chick Alana Ferguson. Nothing she says has any insight. It's usually an opinion someone else has said in her own words. I hate this stupidity of putting women on these shows to get who, other women? I'm sure they would say the same IF they were footy fans. I don't mind Erin Molan because to me it seems like she does her homework and sounds somewhat knowledgeable.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was watching the Sunday Footy show and then there's stupid chick Alana Ferguson. Nothing she says has any insight. It's usually an opinion someone else has said in her own words. I hate this stupidity of putting women on these shows to get who, other women? I'm sure they would say the same IF they were footy fans. I don't mind Erin Molan because to me it seems like she does her homework and sounds somewhat knowledgeable.
I think Yvonne Sampson fox sports is the most tolerable of the females. She at least let’s the guys talk and doesn’t try and act like she knows more than the actual players and shit.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love watching the matty johns and the professor so funny and players more relaxed and less cliche on there

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently ratings are falling at an astounding rate.

Both it and AFL Footy Show on 9.

Guaranteed it still wins a Logie though.
The Matty Johns show is out rating it. How many people even have Foxtel? 5%? How does a Foxtel show out rate a FTA show in the same timeslot directly after an NRL game?

It boggles the mind and clearly shows how absolutely ratshit the product channel 9 is putting out is.

It makes me laugh how much effort they put into this new format considering just how shit it is. Everything about it is bad.

Having said that, going back to the Fat is NOT the answer. I mean that may appeal to some fans, but clearly when the Fat was around the show was not rating well enough because they sacked him, so how is going back to that going to help? Sure you might get a few thousand extra retards who sign petitions to watch, but they are probably already watching at the moment.

I think they need to do the following:

1. Sack Beau Ryan
  2. Remove Erin as the main host and throw big bucks at Sterlo who is already on their books (cannot think of someone else on 9's books who is better suited) and have Erin cohost if you absolutely must keep her around
  3. Change the time slot. Now this one is tricky because Thursday night footy has taken up their prime timeslot but I honestly think they need to give in to Matty Johns and move the show to Wednesday. Thursday night after a game is too late for a lot of people as well. Just have a casual post game show after Thursday Night Footy that hardcore fans may watch
  4. Fix up the format of the show.
    • Put them all on a couch so they are relaxed.
    • Keep the content short and to the point and then move on. Andrew Johns has a lot of knowledge and is incredibly interesting but he cannot be allowed to ramble on for too long.
    • Keep the mood light and humorous. Don't be 100% serious then throw in a bad comedy routine
    • Hire someone actually funny, for example anyone but Beau Ryan

That is all I can think of right now.

Gallo2014

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Yvonne Sampson fox sports is the most tolerable of the females. She at least let’s the guys talk and doesn’t try and act like she knows more than the actual players and shit.
Australia played Thailand in women's soccer last night and it was shown on SBS. There were NO male commentators...WTF??? Is that what they call equality? We have to put up with stupid female commentary in males sport but it's obvious not reciprocated.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Not so much a footy show but The Back Page is a great show. Always seem to get a good laugh and a wrap of the sports from around the world.
My Dad absolutely loves this show and I series linked this show for him so that he never misses this ever

I find all betting ads disgusting tbh.

Gambling is a scourge on this game and society.
You sir are not wrong - they are fucking up everything and you wonder why I am anti-gambling

Australia played Thailand in women's soccer last night and it was shown on SBS. There were NO male commentators...WTF??? Is that what they call equality? We have to put up with stupid female commentary in males sport but it's obvious not reciprocated.
I grew up being brainwashed by teachers who believe that the only sport we girls were allowed to play was Netball - I for one think that sport is a joke

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I grew up being brainwashed by teachers who believe that the only sport we girls were allowed to play was Netball - I for one think that sport is a joke
When I played club footy as a kid they had girls playing in sides, they weren't allowed to play after a certain age (13 I think) for obvious reasons.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Matty Johns show is out rating it. How many people even have Foxtel? 5%? How does a Foxtel show out rate a FTA show in the same timeslot directly after an NRL game?

Having said that, going back to the Fat is NOT the answer. I mean that may appeal to some fans, but clearly when the Fat was around the show was not rating well enough because they sacked him, so how is going back to that going to help? Sure you might get a few thousand extra retards who sign petitions to watch, but they are probably already watching at the moment.
I'm guessing there is an overlap between the people who are passionate enough to want to watch a show about rugby league and the people who spring for foxtel so they can watch their team play every week.

I have to agree that going back to the Fat is not the answer. Apparently this new show is significantly cheaper for Nine to be running, maybe that makes up for the shit ratings.

With the gambling thing. We ban ads for junk food during kids shows. Why not ban ads for Gambling during football matches? Do people really need an update at half time of what the odds are or pre games running through the markets?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
When I played club footy as a kid they had girls playing in sides, they weren't allowed to play after a certain age (13 I think) for obvious reasons.
Yep, I coach a girl in my Under 6's team, she is a little beast too lol

Under 12's is the maximum age limit for mixed gender teams

Status
Not open for further replies.