NRL expansion: Dolphins to be new Brisbane team for 2023 season

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the cut throat world of NRL, not sure we have enough class players to make them competitive or if this is even a good idea but footy is footy and wish them all the best.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why the are removing Redcliffe from the name.

A team has an identity, location and a home ground. If they want to encompass the whole eastern area and up to Cabbo, just call them East Dolphins or something. Worked in Sydney.
Yeah it's a bit sad, we lost our identity when called just The Bulldogs. Maybe they should have gone with the Moreton Bay Dolphins. The Moreton Bay area encompasses Redcliffe and much more, and is actually the 3rd biggest council region in Aust.

Last edited:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m all for expanding the game but there needs to be more thought about the game more broadly than just adding more teams to what is already a very long season. Yes I know byes will be included but as a fan who really wants that? This has the hallmarks of 1995 all over again except that was worse in that they accepted all four teams into the competition making the competition a joke! It was nothing but pure greed from the hierarchy back then and it’s heading the same way now. If your team hadn’t won a game in the first 2 or 3 rounds you were basically gone for the season, hence this brought about the Super League takeover that got really messy but in hindsight saved the game.

If V’landys and Abdo really have the game and fans as their man priority then they should consider one of two formats in the years ahead.

Have a 14 team First Division competition with a 2nd Division competition that sees the winner of that division being promoted and the wooden spoon in 1st Division demoted to 2nd Division.

Alternately they should consider a conference set up where teams are put in a pool and play each team twice within their pool and then progress through to playoffs from other pools.

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Since when has Redcliffe been a part of Brisbane, it's the Moreton Bay Region.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Going off the struggles that the Titans have had through the years, I honestly don't see this Dolphins side having an easy run to become competitive. Even if they manage to get hold of 5-6 top notch players for their first season or two, they're going to struggle to get 17 NRL quality signings after having to splash out on their marquees. It will throw the player market into turmoil though. They'll be in a position to pay overs for quite a lot of their starting squad. I daresay they'll probably wind up with around 10 quality players and a lot of hopeful youngsters.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are they seriously not attaching an area or city to the team name? Just bite the bullet and call them Redcliffe, Brisbane, Moreton Bay or something. "The Dolphins" would be horrible from an optics and marketing standpoint.

It's going to be hard to win over Broncos fans and other footy fans when you don't even have an area in the teams name.. They say they don't want to "alienate anyone" which is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Maybe Manchester United should just be "The Red Devils" because they don't want to alienate people that aren't from Manchester..

With idiots like this running that club, they're destined to be a failure and have the NRL prop them up within a few years.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from memory, the Broncos original colours were not intended to be maroon and yellow but it was correctly pointed out (by Wayne Bennett I think) that they want to relate and sell the club to the locals and it would be a mistake not to embrace the maroon colour of QLD for the club's colours

nothing wrong with the name "Redcliffe Dolphins Rugby League Football Club"... to simply label themselves as "The Dolphins" just makes them sound like an artificial,theme park franchise

this expansion has been handled so poorly... they did a lot right when it came to the Gold Coast expansion --> colours, stadium, fan involvement, the Titans gave the comp an even numbered comp (ie. 16th team) etc. and yet they have struggled significantly... but a hastily put together "The Dolphins" is going to be a success? bullsh*t

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dolphins is a club with decades of history, a long established & strong junior pathways system, quality administration and a ship load of money backed by a very profitable and asset rich leagues club. They won't fail, not a snowball's chance in hell, this promotion to NRL has been well planned for a long time and they know exactly what they are doing. Bennett is just the first of the high quality pieces to fall into place, there are plenty to follow.

Always a Bulldog

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dolphins is a club with decades of history, a long established & strong junior pathways system, quality administration and a ship load of money backed by a very profitable and asset rich leagues club. They won't fail, not a snowball's chance in hell, this promotion to NRL has been well planned for a long time and they know exactly what they are doing. Bennett is just the first of the high quality pieces to fall into place, there are plenty to follow.

Always a Bulldog
happy to be proven wrong as I think the NRL is crying out for a Brisbane derby

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score