NRL expansion: Dolphins to be new Brisbane team for 2023 season

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Half of Brisbane don't like Broncs so maybe that will help.
Wayne
Harry
Kalyn
Munster
Welsh
Wendy, you have been reading my posts 8-)

In 2023 they will have the headliners in Bennett as coach (or more likely GM Football) plus from Melbourne Grant (wants to go home to Qld) and Munster (bound to fark up again and get sacked). I'd be surprised if they don't also get Ponga who will have had enough of Newcastle by then and want to be coached by Bennett.

That's more than enough draw cards to bring the rest "home to Qld", there will be a queue.

Always a Bulldog

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start looking at players off contract in 2022 and putting together predicted sides?

Munster already signalled his intentions, Mahoney is from up that way, surely Ponga ditches Newcastle.
Brandon Smith I reckon will put his hand up too.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would have thought future growth was more important. The population and projected population is far bigger, way more land, better access etc. The only thing they don't have is the quality stadium but they have a little one and they could play a few at Suncorp while the new one gets built, could even play at the Reserve.

Would allow Moreton Bay and the Sunshine Coast their own footprint for a future expansion.
The stadium would of been massive. I know that in the a league expansion for Sydney, the southern bid had a monster financial backing who would of built a massive stadium but that didn’t get them across the line

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yay very happy with this news.
I use to be a local in Scarborough.
I will be interested to see where they play most of their home games?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I reckon to stop this fucking up supercoach, players on a bye should get their predicted score. Otherwise super messy with a different team on a bye each weak
Can't give players imaginary made up points.

The best thing they can do is just make it Best Ball.

You get the scores of your best 17 players each week. That way byes don't play havoc as much.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read they won’t call themselves ‘Redcliffe’. Interested what the name will be?
Moreton Bay? North Brisbane? I would say they would keep the red and white colours if majority red then not really a clash with the dragons as they would play in the white with red v.
Having the ‘dolphins’ would push the traditions of the Queensland cup club a lot like port power in the AFL

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There isnt enough talent to spread around 16 teams, let alone 17.
Whilst I generally agree with this, I think if the NRL paid QCup or NSW Cup players a decent wage to live off and to solely concentrate on Footy rather than working and training/playing, then the standard and numbers should increase.

However, the NRL won't do this.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From a future growth perspective, a team based around Springfield along the Logan motorway could make sense, with a new stadium, in similar style to the new Western Melbourne A League team.

But as of now, Redcliffe ticks the most boxes. Hopefully they will keep at least some local identity and play a few games at Redcliffe as it's a cracking facility for smaller crowds.
afl have already got into Springfield that's where the new women's Afl league will play out of, purpose built stadium for afl soccer

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From a future growth perspective, a team based around Springfield along the Logan motorway could make sense, with a new stadium, in similar style to the new Western Melbourne A League team.

But as of now, Redcliffe ticks the most boxes. Hopefully they will keep at least some local identity and play a few games at Redcliffe as it's a cracking facility for smaller crowds.
new stadium Springfield Screenshot_20211011-210236_Gallery.jpg

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I read they won’t call themselves ‘Redcliffe’. Interested what the name will be?
Moreton Bay? North Brisbane? I would say they would keep the red and white colours if majority red then not really a clash with the dragons as they would play in the white with red v.
Having the ‘dolphins’ would push the traditions of the Queensland cup club a lot like port power in the AFL
Remember when we called ourselves the "Sydney Bulldogs" didn't work.
I will be disappointed if they don't use Redcliffe! But yeah probably be along the line you describe.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Whilst I generally agree with this, I think if the NRL paid QCup or NSW Cup players a decent wage to live off and to solely concentrate on Footy rather than working and training/playing, then the standard and numbers should increase.

However, the NRL won't do this.
This, the more full-time players with better coaching the more nrl standard players there will be.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Qld Intrust has been operating, whereas NSW Knock On Effect hasn't.

Qld player development has kept pace and continued on, and unfortunately NSW Knock On Effect players have been adversely affected by C19 and no comp.

There's plenty of players ready to step up to put in around the experienced players Wayne recruits.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Not Brisbane Broncos" has a nice ring to it

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Question: If the Newtown Jets were still in the competition, would the Ipswich Jets even be able to apply to be a franchise?

1633987631623.png

Good old Newtown Jets. I wonder what it was that inspired their logo? Hmmm...

1633987613823.png

Attachments

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Question: If the Newtown Jets were still in the competition, would the Ipswich Jets even be able to apply to be a franchise?

View attachment 31620

Good old Newtown Jets. I wonder what it was that inspired their logo? Hmmm...

View attachment 31619
They would, but one might have to change their name (like Port Adelaide).

The Qld cup has two teams called Seagulls.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There isnt enough talent to spread around 16 teams, let alone 17.
I think there is. If we have a new team come in and take a few top players from the same teams that finish in the top 4 every year, that will help balance things out a bit.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Start looking at players off contract in 2022 and putting together predicted sides?

Munster already signalled his intentions, Mahoney is from up that way, surely Ponga ditches Newcastle.
As long as they take Duffy im happy

Also they should add another brisbane side in that western corridor next