NRL expansion: Dolphins to be new Brisbane team for 2023 season

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
King of the back flippers might be tempted...

'We want him to stay': Sea Eagles not prepared to lose Daly Cherry-Evans to NRL newbies

Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn is adamant that club captain Daly Cherry-Evans will retire a one-club player despite links to the NRL's newest franchise.

The Queensland native has been linked with a move to the Dolphins having played with Redcliffe in his junior career, with his existing relationship with newly-installed Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett also a factor.

While Cherry-Evans' eight-year, $10 million deal expires at the end of the 2023 season, Penn and the Sea Eagles aren't prepared to see their No.7 walk out the door.

"It's definitely our plan to make sure Daly finishes a one-club player," Penn told The Sydney Morning Herald. "He's our club captain and we want him to win another comp for us and help bring the young guys through.

Manly is keen to retain club captain Daly Cherry-Evans beyond his current deal (Getty)
"Of course there is that [history with Redcliffe], but he's been with us since he was 17 or 18, his family is well entrenched on the northern beaches and it would be a big move.

"We have unfinished business, and that will be at the front of his mind. We won a comp 10 years ago, but it's been a dry argument since. I'm sure he's keen to prove a point and make sure he goes out on top.
"We want him to stay. It's only a matter of time before we work through the details."

Bennett was unveiled as the inaugural coach of the Dolphins this week, with the master-coach admitting he "had no idea this would happen" at the start of the year after guiding South Sydney to a grand final appearance.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll consider it, wouldn't mind it for the sake of seeing what the atmosphere was like back in the days. The Bulldogs and Blue Bags hold a joint record for the only ever 0-0 draw played in Henson Park, wet weather, back in 1982.
I was at that game. Field goal attempts to break the deadlock were difficult. The ball would hit the deck and plug in the mud. Thus kickers could not get the ball in the air.

Warren Ryan as coach of Newtown said after the game that the better side drew.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Manly are crazy to not move DCE on. They could manage their cap way better without him and Schuster belongs in the halves. But with Des controlling the cap, it's no wonder..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Manly are crazy to not move DCE on. They could manage their cap way better without him and Schuster belongs in the halves. But with Des controlling the cap, it's no wonder..
Manly need DCE. Just not on ridiculous money. Schuster is the future, but he can’t run a team yet. No kicking game, no game management. He purely plays a short side when it suits. Foran needs to go for Schuster, yet he’s probably on peanuts. DCE in my opinion is in the top 4 halves of the game easy. He’s on overs now, I’m assuming manly are banking on him being loyal after deal expires and signs for much less. I don’t believe they can win the comp without him

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Manly need DCE. Just not on ridiculous money. Schuster is the future, but he can’t run a team yet. No kicking game, no game management. He purely plays a short side when it suits. Foran needs to go for Schuster, yet he’s probably on peanuts. DCE in my opinion is in the top 4 halves of the game easy. He’s on overs now, I’m assuming manly are banking on him being loyal after deal expires and signs for much less. I don’t believe they can win the comp without him
He's a good club level half and better than anything else out there but he's on $1.2 million for another however many years and Turbo is on about the same with Jake on just under a million. So as usual under Des they'll be cap fucked for forever.

I don't think they'd lose too much with Schuster and Foran as the organising half and Cust in the mix. They could sign three good players to fill out that squad with the money saved from DCE'S deal.