News NRL draft system could replace player transfer market between clubs

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can’t even see that working. They would have come up with a whole new junior comp like the college system in USA with no connections to clubs.
Exactly. I have been saying that for years. You’d need to get players up to the age of 18 through schooling programs. That will be without affiliation from nrl clubs who pour money into junior programs. Players can’t get paid in effect being amateurs until 18. Then hope they get picked up in a draft which would be maybe 32 players per year.

We don’t have the structure of America which has a college system and apart from the top prospects go through between 2-4 years of college.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was never a fan of’s draft system , but when teams continually rort the system it needs to happen

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What you could do I guess is have a draft when the player is 18. Make a comp for 18 year olds only who are fully paid. So say in 2020 it’s guys born in 2002.

you have say 22-25 players per team so in effect 400 players to be drafted. Team that finished last in nrl picks first. So you can secure the best talent. And after 18 they join a reserve grade Comp that is say 19+

down side is you’d have kids unable to decide their location for their rookie deal. And the club would have players living away from home at a very young age full time. The club would need places for these guys to live and I’m not sure what mental affect that would have on players (which has been a huge issue in the league for a while).

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I can’t see how a junior draft will ever work in NRL with the current set up. There will be no incentive at all for clubs to develop their own players. The whole junior pathways will have to be restructured.
Will just make clubs like the roosters stronger imo