NRL cop landslide weekend in rules debate

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL's new rules are back under the spotlight after the most lopsided round in almost 17 years.
A combined total of 209 points have decided the eight games of round four, with an average of 26.1 points between teams at fulltime.
Parramatta's 14-point win over the Wests Tigers on Monday capped off the biggest margin in a round since round 13 in 2004 when 29.6 was the average difference between sides.
Before Monday's game the mark was previously at 205 points for the weekend, set in round 21 of 2013.

The NRL was adamant at the start of the year that early-season blowouts couldn't be put solely on the new rules, which promote fatigue.
And while poor roster management and self-confessed "soft" efforts from teams have contributed, there is now the potential for a problem.
Just six of 31 games played so far this season have been decided by a converted try or less, denying fans regular grandstand finishes.
"I don't think any of us like seeing a game of footy when it's 30-0 at halftime," Warriors coach Nathan Brown said.
"When you see games where it's tight, they are the games we want to see from a footy fan's point of view.
"I don't think it's great for the game, but I don't know what the answer is there.
"Because I do think the new rules make for a good spectacle. I like seeing the game where smaller people can get an advantage."
Brown's side is one of the few teams to have had two close games, and are yet to have been blown off the park.
But the gulf in class is best demonstrated on the ladder, where a clear bottom pack has emerged.
While Manly, Canterbury and North Queensland would likely still have struggled under any rules, they all have for-and-against scores of minus-100 after the opening month.
Previously, the last team to have a minus-100 for-and-against after four rounds was the 2002 Cowboys.
"Some sides on the weekend had some scores put on them when they competed for a while and started to fatigue a bit," Brown said.
Then the classy players on the other side take advantage.
"Under the old rules you could slow the game up. Where now the game has quickened up for good reason.
"Sometimes it takes time for the other players to adjust."
Meanwhile three-time premiership-winning Roosters coach Trent Robinson also agreed the blowouts were a result of the rules, but didn't have an opinion on if it was a good or bad thing.
"Of course, it's down to the rules and unstructured nature, and people are enjoying that," Robinson said.
"But the flipside is you're going to get some blowout scores.
"That's natural. Some people are going to be better at unstructured than other teams."

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want to know what the base lines are for calling 6 again? I watch pretty closely and although some calls are obvious some don’t seem to be consistent at all and because it’s all so quick half the time you don’t even know what it’s for...?

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I want to know what the base lines are for calling 6 again? I watch pretty closely and although some calls are obvious some don’t seem to be consistent at all and because it’s all so quick half the time you don’t even know what it’s for...?
It's supposed to be for slowing up the ruck, inside the 10, infringements in the tackle but to me it is whoever the corrupt refs want to win. Cummins thrives with the new rules.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's supposed to be for slowing up the ruck, inside the 10, infringements in the tackle but to me it is whoever the corrupt refs want to win. Cummins thrives with the new rules.
Yeah, I know what it’s for but I am wondering what the boundaries are because it appears that it’s way tighter than it was when penalty’s were given. If each 6 again called was a penalty we might have 20+ penalties called per game which is way more than before.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I started watching every game - only watched three to completion - everyone iv spoken to over to the last three weeks is saying almost the same things - messy, one sided, refs decide winners, teas can be eveb untl the ref gets involved - even supporters of teams that are doingwell - its a lottery at best and open to "influence" at worse - penalties are or at least were more easily scrutinised - the way it was last year i thought worked well.

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The great bulldogs teams of the past would have loved this style of game, anyway the decline was happening before the rules changes so keep it real...

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what it’s for but I am wondering what the boundaries are because it appears that it’s way tighter than it was when penalty’s were given. If each 6 again called was a penalty we might have 20+ penalties called per game which is way more than before.
That is so right Bazil. That to me makes it so much more obvious that it is corrupt. If in the old days there were that many penalties fans, coaches & commentators would be going off their head! Nowadays not a word about it. I just so hate like you that we don't know most of the time what the 6 again is for. Like has been suggested on here can't they at least make an announcement of what it is for to make them more accountable.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The NRL is forgetting that the "good teams" "adapt" to the new rules quicker, because its easier for them to adapt their Roster. They get better TPA's and players will be happy to be paid unders to play for them. But the teams that are struggling dont have as attractive (if any) TPA's as well as having to pay overs for the same players.

Juniors? Hah! Forget that now! Imagine throwing a new player in a bad team in this fast paced game! Some might do well sure, but this clearly advantages clubs that are already in a good spot.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bring back the wrestle! A physical game is a good game and it's what the foundations of the sport were built on.

If they wanted to speed it up, penalise grappling and slowing down heavily, reduce the interchange to 6, get rid of scrums and bring in the 5 minute sin bin for repeated infringements.. Those simple fixes would have opened the game up while still allowing physicality.

Penalties should still be a kick for touch..

Gey rid of this six again shit completely and fire V’landys before he changes the sport into Oztag on speed any more than he has.

The NRL has always been a poorly run league, but the way they've allowed a Horse Racing administrator completely change the way the sport is played within two years is incomprehensible even for them.

RIP Rugby League.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This was the problem that was noted when they trialed this rule about 5 years ago. As I recall it was done in two games in the last round in which the teams involved had no chance of making the 8. The reviewers found that the refs gave away 6 agains for infringement levels they probably wouldn't have if they had to give a penalty.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So many tries these days are off kicks, that is partly due to the absence of gaps. Problem with relying on fatigue to open up gaps is everyone is fatigued, and players are noticeably struggling to execute their skills at the back end of each half.

Scrap the 6 again, and scrap the lock forward position. And make tries directly from kicks worth 2 points instead of 4. Conversion worth 1 point. We'll start seeing more exciting but close games again quicker than you can say "Uncle Nick wears a sombrero"

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Has the English Super League adopted these new rules?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another issue is that teams often can't construct points anymore when they're against a set defence as they're so used to scoring off 12 tackle sets through the refs opening the game up. So there's less skill in some of the tries than ever and more barge overs from hookers and forwards close to the line. Real exciting!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have already lost interest this season just in general and we aren't even into round 5 yet. Just look at round 4 and the first 4 matches, absolutely ridiculous the blow out scores and even the rest of the round there was still a decent margin between those games. I enjoy a close game where both teams are fighting to the death to get those 2 pts. Wow, we are seeing lots of tries, but the games are boring as hell to watch as there is no competition.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
NRL now stands for NOT RUGBY LEAGUE ... 6 again rule should be scrapped or undergo a full review and feedback from fans of all clubs.

When cowbells start ringing, the game just looks cheap and messy, if anything it's making a mockery of the games 100+ year old history.

It's evident the 6 again rule is administered differently across the 16 clubs ... with so many lopsided scores in opening rounds.

Why do top sides get more six agains? ... is it to validate endorsement of new rules and to show us that they're working?

Is it because there's a decline in rugby league junior registration numbers? ... worried by soccer and AFL youth registrations are on the rise.

They want us to believe that everyone is on board and people are loving the new rules and the speed of the game makes for a greater spectacle.

However, conversations I've had with people find it hard to follow referees use of the six again rule particularly when no explanation is given.

We no longer hear commentary challenge calls just from the sheer pace of the game and refs don't give a shit because they know the NRL has their back, and front their puppet spokesman (Graham Annesley) on a Monday to bore us with his selective edited analysis carefully scripted for media to use against clubs.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Yea they have fucked this sport with the 300 rule changes in the last couple years but the 6-again is the worst by far it’s shit to watch most of the games on the weekend were over at halftime
Fully agree and most importantly, it is "discretionary" for the referee. Some ref's seem to police it hard and others just let the game flow a bit more. We have copped a couple of referees (not forgetting Ben Cummins) who just like to nit pick and then generally not with any consistency. I watched a couple of games in round 4 where if it were the Dogs, we would have been pinged, but some of the "better" sides seem to not get caught at all. Rabbits on line defence was reported as great, but rarely were they back the 10 or one foot behind the line......blind eye turned......

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The great bulldogs teams of the past would have loved this style of game, anyway the decline was happening before the rules changes so keep it real...
The "Entertainer" Bulldogs would have thrived under the new rules; but the "Dogs of War" would be beaten by 30+ every week.