NRL Considering 17 Team Comp

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Todd Greenberg reveals expansion decision deadline with Brisbane in ‘box seat’ for second team

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has rejected suggestions he and ARL Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V’landys don’t see eye-to-eye on expansion, but admitted Brisbane is in the “box seat” to get a second team and a final decision will be made before the end of the year.

Speaking at The Courier-Mail’s NRL season launch on Monday, Greenberg couldn’t guarantee that a second Brisbane team would be the 17th side come 2023, and that analysis of different markets would determine the NRL management team’s recommendation to the commission.

While that message appeared at odds with V’landys who said in December that “we need two games every week in Brisbane”, Greenberg said things looked good for the city based off the NRL’s research to date.

Greenberg confirmed there had been “a number of people come forward” from various consortia with the intention to formally submit bids and that those conversations will be held “at the right time”.

While the NRL CEO wasn’t worried he might miss the boat in this broadcast cycle when it came to making a decision on expansion, he did admit that any recommendation needed to be presented to the ARLC before the end of the year.

But as it stands, Brisbane remains the frontrunner.

“It’s absolutely a rugby league town and we’ve seen in particularly the last five years the strength of the game here both in participation rates but also ratings and crowds – it’s been phenomenal,” Greenberg said.

“I say they’re in the box seat because that’s genuine through the numbers and the analysis.

“One of the things we’ll have to consider is if there’s an 18th team, have we got enough players. Have we got the depth and talent to have 18 teams?

“Can we structure a competition with 17 teams? These are all questions we need to answer. That’s why it’s not just a simple question with a simply answer. Every time you consider what a future footprint of the game looks like, there are a lot of questions you need to resolve. That’s the work that’s currently underway.

“There’s no doubt it has to happen this year to give a team a proper runway to land into 2023.

“We have to make sure the recommendations are on the commission’s table toward the back end of this year, if not the middle of this year.”

Greenberg said there were plenty of fans in Brisbane who didn’t support the Broncos that a second team in the city could appeal to.

“We’ve done an enormous amount of research and some of that I can’t disclose,” he said.

“What I can tell you is there are literally 500,000 fans here in Brisbane who don’t support the Broncos but love rugby league. Whether they’re a rusted on fan of another team or they’re looking for a team, I’m not sure about the answer to that question.

“What we do know is fans here in Brisbane love the game and so we want to make sure we give them as much opportunity to watch as much footy as possible.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course Greenberg and V'Landys are butchering the expansion plans and TV rights deal..

We have 15 teams already on the eastern seaboard of Australia and one in NZ.. This is a golden opportunity to finally add Perth which would open up a whole new market and timeslot which gives even greater flexibility and exposure to broadcasters and the code..

But instead of adding two teams which creates an extra game and adds at least 12% more to the value of the rights deal, they want to add another team to the eastern seaboard, create a 17 team competiton which means we have byes every week and means we still only have 8 games a week..

So why would the TV networks pay more for a deal for the rights if they're getting the same amount of games in the same markets?

Just when you think the NRL can't get more incompetent, they reach new lows.. The ESL adds a team in Toronto, but we can't even add a team in Perth after decades of crying out for a team...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course Greenberg and V'Landys are butchering the expansion plans and TV rights deal..

We have 15 teams already on the eastern seaboard of Australia and one in NZ.. This is a golden opportunity to finally add Perth which would open up a whole new market and timeslot which gives even greater flexibility and exposure to broadcasters and the code..

But instead of adding two teams which creates an extra game and adds at least 12% more to the value of the rights deal, they want to add another team to the eastern seaboard, create a 17 team competiton which means we have byes every week and means we still only have 8 games a week..

So why would the TV networks pay more for a deal for the rights if they're getting the same amount of games in the same markets?

Just when you think the NRL can't get more incompetent, they reach new lows.. The ESL adds a team in Toronto, but we can't even add a team in Perth after decades of crying out for a team...
Whilst I agree with you the game has to tap new markets, I don’t think that’s necessarily what he was saying - that it’s a fait accompli it’s 17 teams and Brisbane only. I also agree with you a 17 team comp isn’t a good idea. I didn’t like it when we had 15 teams with a bye.

The talent pool is a legitimate question though. If we are to have 18 teams including another Brisbane and say a Perth team, I don’t see how both could be brand new franchises. We saw that in the 90’s with the Crushers and Reds and irrespective of the Super League war I just don’t see that working - as it is the NRL has had to prop up too many clubs in recent years - it’s a risk. There are likely too many teams in Sydney and although the GC is prized RL real estate - are the Titans feasible just as the Suns don’t appear to be in the AFL?

My view is that any expanded competition needs to consist of some relocation or natural death of some less financially viable clubs.

The big question of course is who - and prime Sydney targets for me would be the Sharks (broke and rudderless) and Tigers (although the Magpies have money and 90% ownership).

It’s somewhat of a pity Illawarra weren’t viable all those years ago. A merge of the Dragons and Sharks would’ve made more sense with a stand alone team in the Wollongong area similar to Newcastle but of course that ship sailed long ago...

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My view is that any expanded competition needs to consist of some relocation or natural death of some less financially viable clubs.
That's a very good point in that if we don't expand than the poorer run clubs never get better. If you run a competition in order to keep struggling entities afloat, you'll end up with a competition that is based on the least, not the best, and it will go backwards.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That's a very good point in that if we don't expand than the poorer run clubs never get better. If you run a competition in order to keep struggling entities afloat, you'll end up with a competition that is based on the least, not the best, and it will go backwards.
Agree mate, if it’s not survival of the fittest it becomes a race to the bottom - and that’s good for nobody.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with you the game has to tap new markets, I don’t think that’s necessarily what he was saying - that it’s a fait accompli it’s 17 teams and Brisbane only. I also agree with you a 17 team comp isn’t a good idea. I didn’t like it when we had 15 teams with a bye.

The talent pool is a legitimate question though. If we are to have 18 teams including another Brisbane and say a Perth team, I don’t see how both could be brand new franchises. We saw that in the 90’s with the Crushers and Reds and irrespective of the Super League war I just don’t see that working - as it is the NRL has had to prop up too many clubs in recent years - it’s a risk. There are likely too many teams in Sydney and although the GC is prized RL real estate - are the Titans feasible just as the Suns don’t appear to be in the AFL?

The big question of course is who - and prime Sydney targets for me would be the Sharks (broke and rudderless) and Tigers (although the Magpies have money and 90% ownership).

It’s somewhat of a pity Illawarra weren’t viable all those years ago. A merge of the Dragons and Sharks would’ve made more sense with a stand alone team in the Wollongong area similar to Newcastle but of course that ship sailed long ago...
Merging teams, especially rivals is just too messy and doesn't work. Look at the failed Northern Eagles joint venture and how much the Tigers have struggled with in fighting over the years..

I think there is enough talent, it's just not evenly distributed. Look at the young prospects Melbourne, the Roosters, Souths and Brisbane have locked away as well as the talent they already have and it's an issue of talent equalization and the cap not working, not neccessarily a lack of talent. Those clubs have plenty of players rotting away in Reserves or on their bench that would start for most bottom 8 teams.

Vlandy's commented in December how they won't be looking at Perth for some bizarre reason which is extremely short sighted.

I agree and have been saying for years that the Titans offer nothing and no sporting franchise has historically worked on the Gold Coast over three decades plus so I agree they should be relocated and the second Brisbane team should get that franchise.

But i think if two more teams are added, there's enough NRL players that go to the ESL when they still have something left to offer, enough talented juniors and enough English Super League talent and Rugby talent that can be poached to make up the 60 extra players required for two more teams.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Because it's 2 games per week for Brisbane viewers, that's a 50% increase, and without any doubt both of them will be in prime time and most likely on FTA. It would also mean a game every week at Suncorp, so doubling its utilisation. Then they will come up with the great idea of a double header with both Brisbane teams playing, probably meaning we will have to give up another of our home games (ie; a mini "Magic Round"). Plus the Brisbane newspapers will sell twice as many copies and have twice as many clicks on their endless social media outlets.

FWIW the best ground to watch football at is Robina Stadium, too bad the team is crap.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But i think if two more teams are added, there's enough NRL players that go to the ESL when they still have something left to offer, enough talented juniors and enough English Super League talent and Rugby talent that can be poached to make up the 60 extra players required for two more teams.
Too easy, just make the Chooks Cap compliant which will free up enough players for a pretty good team.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Add 8 teams, 4 new franchises plus elevate 4 existing clubs, and split into two divisions of 12 teams each, full home and away season, plus more room in the middle of the season for rep games. The best players will naturally migrate to the top division, which will become a higher quality product as a result, while 2nd division will easily be better quality than current Cup level.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Because it's 2 games per week for Brisbane viewers, that's a 50% increase, and without any doubt both of them will be in prime time and most likely on FTA. It would also mean a game every week at Suncorp, so doubling its utilisation. Then they will come up with the great idea of a double header with both Brisbane teams playing, probably meaning we will have to give up another of our home games (ie; a mini "Magic Round"). Plus the Brisbane newspapers will sell twice as many copies and have twice as many clicks on their endless social media outlets.

FWIW the best ground to watch football at is Robina Stadium, too bad the team is crap.

Go Dogs
I'm not saying not to add a second Brisbane team. I'm saying they need to add Perth too. They should have done it the last two rights deals. If not now, then never.

And you have to keep the competition at an even number of teams. Either 16 and relocate the Titans or 18. Adding one team and having a 17 team comp is ridiculous.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not saying not to add a second Brisbane team. I'm saying they need to add Perth too. They should have done it the last two rights deals. If not now, then never.

And you have to keep the competition at an even number of teams. Either 16 and relocate the Titans or 18. Adding one team and having a 17 team comp is ridiculous.
17 team Comp is ridiculous alright, even with 16 teams 15 of them suck lol, so you would have to add 2 an make it 18 or leave it as is..!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry maybe I was too subtle ................ Brisbane (QRL) will get whatever they want, no matter how badly it affects every other team eg; Magic Round. The QRL has the Donkeys, Cowboys, Titans and Melbourne (the real south Qld team) so it's obvious that they need another team added so they get even more say in what goes on in the NRL. eg; Grand Final to Qld etc.

Other logical applicants (Perth and Central Coast) will just have to wait until the QRL demands are satisfied.

Go Dogs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A second team in SEQ is a dead set no brainer, but i still think it should be based in n area away from the city, as you will potentially end up with a Crushers situation.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry maybe I was too subtle ................ Brisbane (QRL) will get whatever they want, no matter how badly it affects every other team eg; Magic Round. The QRL has the Donkeys, Cowboys, Titans and Melbourne (the real south Qld team) so it's obvious that they need another team added so they get even more say in what goes on in the NRL. eg; Grand Final to Qld etc.

Other logical applicants (Perth and Central Coast) will just have to wait until the QRL demands are satisfied.

Go Dogs
Move Melbourne to SEQ...more fans for the Storm, more QLD games, keep 16 teams (no bye), team close to where their players come from, Melbourne basically couldn't give two shits about RL anyway

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Move Melbourne to SEQ...more fans for the Storm, more QLD games, keep 16 teams (no bye), team close to where their players come from, Melbourne basically couldn't give two shits about RL anyway
Melbourne (18k) had the equal (with Parramatta) 3rd highest attendance at games last season with the Donkeys on 30k as the highest and Newcastle 2nd on 19k. FYI we were 9th with 15k.

Go Dogs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne (18k) had the equal (with Parramatta) 3rd highest attendance at games last season with the Donkeys on 30k as the highest and Newcastle 2nd on 19k. FYI we were 9th with 15k.

Go Dogs
Yeah, its funny when people say how the Storm don't get anyone to their games.

Our attendances have been nothing to write home about for a while (and yes, as I now live intestate, I am part of that statistic).

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thr NRL is that fucked that off course they would rather have 17 teams than 18.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, its funny when people say how the Storm don't get anyone to their games.
They are all expats from NSW and Qld forced to work in Melbourne by their employers, they go to Storm games to watch them play their team.

Go Dogs

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 2nd team in Brisbane wouldn’t work they won’t do anything to help them and considering the titans in the same area they need to looks at Perth a lot of ex east coast people there and a form of a rugby team would be great time slot works too

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So, this whole conference thing is so American. Leave it as it is.

As for expansion... FFS Greenterd... expand it by 2 teams not 1 :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink: