Ch 9 News (inc DannyW) Nrl club to be axed for Brisbane team.

Who would you get rid of?

• Manly

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Sharks

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Gold coast

Votes: 23 51.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
  1. Nine
  2. Sport
  3. NRL
NRL club to be axed for new Brisbane team
By AAP - 2 hours ago
Cronulla, Manly and the Gold Coast are at risk of being axed from the NRL as the Nine Network pushes for a new Brisbane rugby league team.

The broadcaster's director of sport Tom Malone wants to axe one existing club to make way for a new club in the Queensland capital by 2023 with the final call to be made as early as December this year.

The newspaper reports that the Sharks, Sea Eagles and the Titans are the sides who are most at risk of the chop.

"That could come from another team being relocated there, or better still another club being discontinued and a new club established in Brisbane," Malone told the Sunday Mail.

Round 24

Sharks
VS

Raiders
NRL 2019: Round 24PointsBet StadiumSunday September 1st, 4:00 am

Round 24

Dragons
VS

Wests Tigers
NRL 2019: Round 24Sydney Cricket GroundSunday September 1st, 6:05 am

"In a perfect world you'd probably have one or two less teams.

"What clubs should go? I'm not going to get into that one. It's a hard decision but probably one that needs to be made in the longer term interests of the game."

Malone says he prefers the option of axing an existing club rather than adding another club because having 17 teams and a bye each week would increase costs without generating any "incremental revenue".

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg reportedly met with Queensland Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk on Friday to discuss a new Brisbane team.

Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany supports a second team in the River City but doesn't believe in axing an existing club.

"They love their rugby league in Brisbane and it seems a natural fit," Mr Delany told the Sunday Mail.

"You get that inter-city rivalry which enhances tribalism and that's ultimately what we want.

"It's all about generating more fans and bigger TV audiences. I don't know if you'd get that real tribal traction with rugby league in Perth that you'd get in Brisbane."

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Get rid of all 3.

Bring in another Brisbane and NZ club, and Perth.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How about just fucking off channel 9 lol what pull would they really have these days honestly

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BULLSHIT! They need to get rid of 15 clubs and only leave ONE!

THE MIGHTY BULLDOGS!!!

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
trade window, 2 teams in brisbane, api signing , thats the nba

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

"It's all about generating more fans and bigger TV audiences. I don't know if you'd get that real tribal traction with rugby league in Perth that you'd get in Brisbane
."
Translation : it's all about making more money for nine ...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL. Name me one Broncos supporter that us going to jump ship. Better off pumping that money into the Gold coast and pushing a Perth team. At least the fan base is established.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares what channel 9 wants.

If they want increased viewers put together a decent commentary team rather than has been hacks.

But I would never argue with the sharks being relocated, hopefully right out of the comp.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They try this with any other club apart from Titans and it will be welcome super league mark 2. Not opposed to this as the Nrl administration is a complete shambles run by donkeys

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How disgraceful a television station deciding the future of clubs when their only interested in betting and money.
Forget about the supporters wherever their from. I dislike some clubs but this decision should be made by the clubs who are the nrl not channel 9

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
So all this bullshit is to get more revenue .
I hope we end up with a new league, nrl is rubbish.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if they want increased viewers then they should change all the names to Australia

Australia Bulldogs, Australia Sharks, Australia Broncos

or how about world sharks etc

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who cares what channel 9 wants.

If they want increased viewers put together a decent commentary team rather than has been hacks.

But I would never argue with the sharks being relocated, hopefully right out of the comp.
I don't get the hate for the Channel 9 commentary team...

I think they are fine. Sterling, Johns, Fittler especially are great.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the NRL could actually run the sport properly they wouldn't be getting bent over by outside influences.

Look at the last TV deal they got around $2 billion dollars and then they still had to get a bank loan to make ends meet. They have no assets or anything to show for it.

They will probably buckle to channel 9's demands because they have left themselves in a such a bad position where they are dependant on money from TV rights.

It's embarrassing but not surprising when you see who is running the joint.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In what other sporting code in the world would the broadcaster dictate which teams should survive and which should be culled?

If Greenberg didn't gift 9 the TV rights for cents on the dollar compared to what 7 and 10 were willing to offer then maybe the sport wouldn't be in such a dire situation financially?

The Gold Coast should absolutely be moved to Brisbane but adding a team in Perth is far more important for the balance of the comp and trying to make it national.

This report about 9 having such influence isn't surprising but it's frightening none the less. Can we please finally remove all of these clowns and stop the corruption once and for all?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you are to close or relocate a team to Brisbane wouldn’t it be the Titans? Team with the lowest amount of fans and supporters and least history.

Is manly even a possibility? They have been around for ages.

Thing is broncos get huge crowds. What are the odds a new team in the area will be as successful. Like others stated broncos are an establishment so not many fans will jump ship. Then good luck building up a new team.

Perth might be an option. Maybe another qld team (cairns, Toowoomba, Mackay, Rockhampton etc). Fair enough they are all small cuties, but it will be something tribal and you’d imagine they could average 20k fans per game. the only un-penetrated cities are Perth, Adelaide and Hobart (maybe Darwin). And there is a reason Hobart doesn’t even have an afl team so options are limited.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
so who runs the nrl, is it the board, or channel 9 sports director
while they put up the money, they shouldnt have control of decisions like relocation or starting another team