Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL blocks Queensland bid to select Jason Taumalolo for Origin

NRL PREMIERSHIP

• February 7, 2019 7:18am
  • by AAP
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Queensland inquired whether jason Tamalolo could quite Tonga and be eligible for the Maroons.Source: Getty Images
Queensland’s bid to poach North Queensland Cowboys powerhouse Jason Taumalolo for this year’s State of Origin tilt looks to have been vetoed by NRL chiefs.

Maroons bosses have reportedly made moves to see if the wrecking-ball backrower could be cleared to quit Tonga and become available for their side for this season’s clashes with NSW.

But the NRL have blocked the move because Taumalolo has earned 10 Test caps for New Zealand, a tier-one rival to Australia, News Corp reports.

The juggernaut forward confirmed his allegiance to Tonga last June after representing the Kiwis at the 2017 World Cup.

Under current RLIF (Rugby League International Federation) rules around eligibility, players cannot represent two Tier One nations,” a NRL spokesman said.

“If Jason Taumalolo were to play for Queensland, he would need to make himself available for Australia.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/da638e9af2eea736bf15297e94a1452e

No more Smith, Cronk or Thurston plus Inglis best days are behind him. QLD in panic mode and up to their old tricks again....

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lmao seriously I can only laugh to this, like don’t get me wrong I would love JT to play for nsw but that’s never gonna happen ever fullstop, and it’s really funny that how QLD have just lost the last series and as mentioned above are in panic mode, and I find it a bit of a dog act to the current eligible QLD players who actually wants to play for there state... all in allQLD

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
In recent years the selection criteria has been all over the shop and now its time to define the rules due to the influx of Polynesian talent and competitiveness of rep countries improving.
It will always be a grey area so the NRL need to look at it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Somebody needs to post the "That's in Queensland" song. Typical of Queensland selectors to chase talent from anywhere they please.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Only way lolo is a Queenslander is if there is a town in Tonga called Queensland. TBH im shocked QLD havent tried this years ago. Joked about them trying it for ages.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Only way lolo is a Queenslander is if there is a town in Tonga called Queensland. TBH im shocked QLD havent tried this years ago. Joked about them trying it for ages.
This us the closest I found. On the Gold Coast...

Screenshot_20190207-205531_Maps.jpg

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brad Thorne did. Maybe even tonie carol?