NRL Base on Tangalooma Island Resort

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
If they do this, can they play NRL virtually around the clock/ 6 days a week? You could catch up on the season and there's no other games on so scheduling not an issue. As long as teams have a 5 day turnaround.
Broncos will complain a 5-day turnaround is inhumane and unheard of. They only do 7-day turnarounds.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This idea of isolating the players on an island has as much merit as isolating them at hotels in Sydney etc. It's still a highly infectious virus and isolating the whole of the NRL squads would mean that one person with it could spread it to the bulk of the league within a few weeks. The tangalooma crew proposing this idea aren't doing so for the good of the game or their staff, they're throwing an idea out there hoping to keep their income stream flowing.

I'm sad that we're not getting to see League played this year, but I'm resigned to the fact that it's for the best.

There are far bigger issues at stake for small businesses and individuals who will suffer financially from this pandemic. As much as it will be sad if any team goes broke through this, it's hopefully going to teach them all lessons in being financially responsible in future. The fact that many clubs are in a dangerous financial position when the sponsorship deals have given the governing body unprecedented levels of money tells me that clubs need to have a bigger say in the running of the game and the distribution of the finances.

The fact that Vlandys instantly started begging for bailout money makes me angry. He did the same with racing when the horse flu threatened that industry and was given bailout money. But this isn't the only industry that has allowed overpayment of executives to leave the businesses on shaky ground. Large corporations are operating with very little financial oversight in this day and age. It's all happened because people who stand to benefit from deregulation of financial systems have been allowed to influence the governments and laws. It's a situation where they've allowed pigs to regulate how much food they're given. Deregulation has even been shown to have caused people huge issues with areas such as the building industry (Opal towers being a good example).

Anyway this idea of moving squads into isolation might or might not work. But it's such a low priority. Before I'd entertain the idea of using this resort to facilitate keeping the season running, I'd be looking at using the facilities as temporary hospital space if the pandemic keeps growing. I'm guessing that the owners wouldn't be quite as keen on this idea though.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
But then there not really in quarantine as the infection risks are far more significant.
Yeah that is why I said there is a big risk when players go to games and all it would take is for one player to somehow get infected for this whole thing to fall apart.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that is why I said there is a big risk when players go to games and all it would take is for one player to somehow get infected for this whole thing to fall apart.
Yeah agree with that which which is why I don't see it being doable or successful.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL.......NRL 'innovation' committee are working hard to get the game up and running.....innovation and NRL two things that are not a good fit.....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From a business owners perspective, I guess I can appreciate them trying to look at all the angles - if they could get it off the ground, the benefit would be just as much about international exposure as fulfilling broadcast deals.

But I can't see how it doesn't make a mockery of the advice we are given re social distancing. As much as we enjoy rugby league, is not "essential", but then again, the list of what is considered essential is pretty loose.

Currently QLD borders are CLOSED unless you have a permit, so you can't even come in and then agree to quarantine/self isolation.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you see the Kent/ Ennis set to about Toddy and his managing of the NRL. Players are royally pissed that they are being asked to take a 75% pay cut while Todd and his minions at head office cop a 25% drop. No wonder the NRL is so intent on trying to take the heat off themselves by getting the game back and running. Wonder just how much they are spending getting the bean counters to come up with ideas?
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/66a795e881de5d65cff3c4dc34033738

They are flogging a dead horse with this........season is gone, over. The NRL heirachy have been exposed in relation to their poor financial handling of the game and the jobs for the boys. Don't know about anyone else but this has made me lose interest in the game for 2020.... hopefully not for beyond...
The pay cut will most likely be linked to the CBA. So while it’s not great for the players I don’t know if they have a legal leg to stand on in regards to the pay cut.
I don’t know about the ‘jobs for the boys’ that are being referred to but the NRL should definitely review their size in the wake of this.
I’m not against the administration being paid because I’d assume while the players are on leave without pay the head office is currently still operating and trying to salvage the season.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like an expensive exercise. It could all turn to shit before a game is played if someone got infected. Thought they had no money.