News NRL approaches Bulldogs and Tigers as governing body looks to build and own new stadium

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes all the parachuting into these Boards has been detailed by independent media, especially prior to the last election, where hundreds of unqualified party boffins promoted.

No I meant truly independent (or at least properly qualified) ...not party appointments.

Surely the WHOLE system has not been corrupted ...and unbiased, professionals can be found to administer in the public's favour and best practice.

And an ICAC with teeth to keep the bastards honest.

It's depressing the low standards accepted as the norm these days.
I admire idealism. I wish the world still had mechanisms for ensuring that qualified people took these key jobs rather than party plants. But in the real world we still have turds like Barnaby Joyce donating millions to his mates company in the Cayman islands to buy back water on floodplains that only see rain every 50-100 years and not facing consequences because "I can't be expected to read everything that comes across my desk for approval" or something along those lines which he said to ICAC. FFS he should have been locked out of Australian politics for having dual citizenship before then like the Greens and Labour pollies who got kicked out for the same thing.

Anyway, this is just going to piss me off talking about the bullshit low standards we're forced to accept.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I admire idealism. I wish the world still had mechanisms for ensuring that qualified people took these key jobs rather than party plants. But in the real world we still have turds like Barnaby Joyce donating millions to his mates company in the Cayman islands to buy back water on floodplains that only see rain every 50-100 years and not facing consequences because "I can't be expected to read everything that comes across my desk for approval" or something along those lines which he said to ICAC. FFS he should have been locked out of Australian politics for having dual citizenship before then like the Greens and Labour pollies who got kicked out for the same thing.

Anyway, this is just going to piss me off talking about the bullshit low standards we're forced to accept.
Know how you feel.
We accepted the skewering of standards with our apathy and we now have what we have.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Know how you feel.
We accepted the skewering of standards with our apathy and we now have what we have.
I haven't willingly accepted them through apathy. But my power in these things is limited to either signing petitions asking for a corrupt government to allow ICAC to investigate them in the hopes that ICAC isn't flawed and corrupt. In the past the only way corruption in government has been abolished has been via violent revolution. Very sad IMO, but unfortunately a truth of our world.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I haven't willingly accepted them through apathy. But my power in these things is limited to either signing petitions asking for a corrupt government to allow ICAC to investigate them in the hopes that ICAC isn't flawed and corrupt. In the past the only way corruption in government has been abolished has been via violent revolution. Very sad IMO, but unfortunately a truth of our world.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Many years back we had a state Labor member who was expelled from the party for allegedly defrauding his solicitor's trust fund. There was a by-election, and for the first time it looked like the Liberals might pick up the seat.

We had been campaigning for years for pedestrian lights at the primary school, and pedestrian crossings at the shopping centre, but were told that funding was tight and there were more important priorities elsewhere.

Overnight, we got lights for the school, the pedestrian crossing, and lights at a dangerous intersection. Surrounding suburbs also got everything they'd been asking for - and more. Labor won; but it showed the power of a marginal seat.
Does anyone remember when both Canterbury and Western suburbs hospitals were knocked down in the process to build a super hospital for the two districts ?
Canterbury won the debate to build the hospital on it's land, but after wining elections the Liberal member of western suburbs then attempted to reverse the decision.
During that period I was in the stand at Blemore for the game, as I looked to my right I glanced none other than PM Paul Keating few meters away, being me I screamed out to him " Mr Prime minister Canterbury hospital gets built on Canterbury land " He looked and smiled probably thinking when did they let this lunatic out :tearsofjoy:
A decision was made and the hospital was built on Canterbury's land, I wish it wasn't and here is the reason...
One day I was at Canterbury Council following up on something and as I was waiting to be attended to I could hear the conversation between the person next to me ( who I later learnt he was the hospital's project manager ) and the councilor, the councilor asked him about how work was progressing on the hospital
He replied all ahead of scheduled, to my shock he continued to say but something major will be missing, a special unit that would have cost 60-70 millions has been scrapped...
Sadly politics and neglect has turned Canterbury Hospital into one of the worst in the state :rage:

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Maybe we have a contract in place from when the proposed development of Homebush would have seen us without a home ground. That's my guess anyway
I didnt think they were starting it til the year after though? Oh well..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone remember when both Canterbury and Western suburbs hospitals were knocked down in the process to build a super hospital for the two districts ?
Canterbury won the debate to build the hospital on it's land, but after wining elections the Liberal member of western suburbs then attempted to reverse the decision.
During that period I was in the stand at Blemore for the game, as I looked to my right I glanced none other than PM Paul Keating few meters away, being me I screamed out to him " Mr Prime minister Canterbury hospital gets built on Canterbury land " He looked and smiled probably thinking when did they let this lunatic out :tearsofjoy:
A decision was made and the hospital was built on Canterbury's land, I wish it wasn't and here is the reason...
One day I was at Canterbury Council following up on something and as I was waiting to be attended to I could hear the conversation between the person next to me ( who I later learnt he was the hospital's project manager ) and the councilor, the councilor asked him about how work was progressing on the hospital
He replied all ahead of scheduled, to my shock he continued to say but something major will be missing, a special unit that would have cost 60-70 millions has been scrapped...
Sadly politics and neglect has turned Canterbury Hospital into one of the worst in the state :rage:
Bankstown Hospital is worse, much worse.
I'm glad they demolished Western Suburbs Hospital it was a shit hole.

Always a Bulldog

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I honestly don't mind Olympic Park. Ok soulless when we are shit, but we have had great times there when we were good.
Do yourself a favour, go to a 20000 attendance game at Bankwest and you'll see the difference in atmosphere and viewing angle. Day and night difference

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour, go to a 20000 attendance game at Bankwest and you'll see the difference in atmosphere and viewing angle. Day and night difference
I haven't been. Something about watching a bulldogs game in Parramatta that doesn't appeal to me. I should however try my best to attend one.

Reactions: ATT

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're presuming that everyone lives in the Canterbury district because they go for the Dogs. I live in the Liverpool district and would love to see them out here in a state of the art stadium instead of that soul less Homebush stadium where you need binoculars to see the players....each to their own, I suppose.
One main reason I mentioned the need for Liverpool earlier is that the government has been and is pumping money into infrastructure there. Liverpool is way easy for people to travel from Canterbury Bankstown and suburbs inner west, also for the fans at Parra, Fairfield, not sure how our fans around Auburn, Strathfield, Campsie will travel but Liverpool's convenient enough with the roads and rail.

Reactions: ATT

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I haven't been. Something about watching a bulldogs game in Parramatta that doesn't appeal to me. I should however try my best to attend one.
I get u, U know they played at Belmore for a bit while Parra stadium was being built

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bankstown Hospital is worse, much worse.
I'm glad they demolished Western Suburbs Hospital it was a shit hole.

Always a Bulldog
Sadly I agree on the three hospitals...
Neglect in these areas is a result of being heavily populated by new Australians who doesn't know how to raise awareness to the people who can make a difference, politicians.
Unfortunately politicians are taking advantage, no mater which side of the politics they are on !!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Canterbury Hospital is an asbestos filled, run down outdated glorified medical centre. It shouldn't even be called a hospital.

I worked for the Sydney Local Health District for a while which covered RPA, Concord, Canterbury.. It wasn't a huge surprise but it was disgraceful how poorly run everything was. No one gave a shit. Everyone there was 50-70 years old that avoided doing any work at all costs. They just complained and bludged all day. All of the records and systems are outdated. There was so much red tape to do the simplest of things so nothing ever got done.

They get hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars in funding and you'd think they were cold war Romanian hospitals.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on where you sit in regards to the view and the atmosphere at Stadium OZ was always pretty good in The Kennel when we were kicking ass and taking no prisoners. Atmosphere is created by the 3,000 Bulldogs supporters sitting around you, not the 17,000 on the other side of the ground half of which hate your guts anyway.

Getting to Wankfest is a huge inconvenience for me, 2 x buses and 2 x trains, ~1.5 hours each way, that's longer spent travelling than watching the game. Belmore is ~20 minutes in 1 x bus and Stadium OZ is ~25 minutes also in 1 x bus. Liverpool would be around 40 minutes on 1 x bus and 1 train.

Driving wise Belmore is by far the best and after decades of attending games there I do know where to park. Stadium Oz and Liverpool would be about the same timewise and Wankfest is by far the worst, plus parking is expensive and I have this thing about not paying the Scum 1 cent if I can avoid it.

Of course the above is a totally narcissistic view, but in the end it's all about me, me, me.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury Hospital is an asbestos filled, run down outdated glorified medical centre. It shouldn't even be called a hospital.

I worked for the Sydney Local Health District for a while which covered RPA, Concord, Canterbury.. It wasn't a huge surprise but it was disgraceful how poorly run everything was. No one gave a shit. Everyone there was 50-70 years old that avoided doing any work at all costs. They just complained and bludged all day. All of the records and systems are outdated. There was so much red tape to do the simplest of things so nothing ever got done.

They get hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars in funding and you'd think they were cold war Romanian hospitals.
Are we talking about the same Canterbury Hospital, this is the one I have been to recently to visit my mother.

1638486454727.png

This the old Canterbury Hospital that I remember from my childhood.

1638486649467.png

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same Canterbury Hospital, this is the one I have been to recently to visit my mother.

View attachment 34708

This the old Canterbury Hospital that I remember from my childhood.

View attachment 34709

Always a Bulldog
A exterior renovation doesn't change how outdated the equipment, staff, setup and mindset is inside those hospitals.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I have to agree on most pointers, but neglect started when the government abolished a 60-70 million dollars special unit when the hospital was built and failing to direct better staff doctors and nurses to the joint that would have turned the place into a real hospital and not a rundown outdated medical centre.
It starts from the top !
Honesty I can't comment on the millions or billions you've quoted, we know it is costly to run hospitals but the question remains is Canterbury hospital getting a fair financial funding and highly qualified doctors and nurses ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have to agree on most pointers, but neglect started when the government abolished a 60-70 million dollars special unit when the hospital was built and failing to direct better staff doctors and nurses to the joint that would have turned the place into a real hospital and not a rundown outdated medical centre.
It starts from the top !
Honesty I can't comment on the millions or billions you've quoted, we know it is costly to run hospitals but the question remains is Canterbury hospital getting a fair financial funding and highly qualified doctors and nurses ?
Definitely not in comparison to RPA and other bigger hospitals. They definitely get neglected.