News NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Play the ball correctly or hand it over?
The refs will love it.
i agree with it, i hate the roll the ball with their foot up, play it properly

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Here we go again.....the inevitable raft of rule changes designed to "improve" the game. Half of the so called new rules are ones that have been in existence prior and were either changed slightly ( such as the play the ball rule) or bought in to 'speed' up the game

Ironic isn't it? Field goals from anywhere used to be two points and then they changed the rule to stop blokes like Eric Simms taking shots all game for a two point gain...eighty six fg in his career....

He was a notable goal-kicker (field, penalty and conversion) who once kicked five field goals in eleven minutes (in a match against Penrith in 1969).[8] It has been said of Simms, and specifically his ability to kick field goals, that he's "one of the few men whose influence was such it single-handedly changed the game".

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Problem is though the refs let 90% of them go and just pull a random penalty out for it on other occasions. So inconsistent.
Yeah I think all these new rules are not only going to change the game but also faze out a lot of the big forwards who always get lazy playing the ball when tired. Especially the big Polynesian boys like AFB and Ogden and alike. NRL players might start looking like AFL players pretty soon!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL players might start looking like AFL players pretty soon!!!
I'm not convinced that that is a good thing. The rule changes may be aimed at speeding up the game but at the same time they are forcing changes in the make up of the teams. I don't see much of a future for "true" prop forwards, as the pace inevitably increases they would need interchanging 3 times in a game which would necessitate a bench full of prop forwards only. I believe we are heading towards a forward pack made up of second rower "style" players and a bench that aligns with that, plus maybe 1 utility. Of course some will play wide and some tight, but they will be of the body type and have the conditioning to run many kilometres in every game, week in week out. It will be all about run, run, run each game will be a mini marathon of running.

All of that pretty much rules out the 115+ kgs props, strong carries, powerful hit ups, big hits in defence etc, all gone like the softening up period. Features which have been an integral part of the game for over 100 years. In 5, maybe 10 years, we will look back and wonder where all of the true prop forwards have gone.

Go Dogs

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that that is a good thing. The rule changes may be aimed at speeding up the game but at the same time they are forcing changes in the make up of the teams. I don't see much of a future for "true" prop forwards, as the pace inevitably increases they would need interchanging 3 times in a game which would necessitate a bench full of prop forwards only. I believe we are heading towards a forward pack made up of second rower "style" players and a bench that aligns with that, plus maybe 1 utility. Of course some will play wide and some tight, but they will be of the body type and have the conditioning to run many kilometres in every game, week in week out. It will be all about run, run, run each game will be a mini marathon of running.

All of that pretty much rules out the 115+ kgs props, strong carries, powerful hit ups, big hits in defence etc, all gone like the softening up period. Features which have been an integral part of the game for over 100 years. In 5, maybe 10 years, we will look back and wonder where all of the true prop forwards have gone.

Go Dogs
The bigs hits will still be there. They’ll still be big ... but leaner and faster. Like SBW.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Just for SBW they outlawed shoulder charges years ago.

Go Dogs
Mate, you don’t need to shoulder charge to hit someone. And you don’t need to be 115kg or more to hurt them. If you want overweight lumbering dudes who can’t last more than 20 mins go play NFL

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want overweight lumbering dudes who can’t last more than 20 mins go play NFL
if you want 90 kg players who run 40 kilometres in a game go watch AFL.

Go Dogs

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score

Go Dogs
You selectively cut and paste my words then repost it up and respond to the bits you want to try and win an argument or impress... I’d say it’s both.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
A crack down one round will stop this shit - it really gets on my tits.
Every year we see crack downs in the first couple of rounds - and we're usually the unfortunate mugs who lose a game because of it.
Then the crackdowns just melt away, and it's back to normal for the rest of the season.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you want overweight lumbering dudes who can’t last more than 20 mins go play NFL
You selectively cut and paste my words then repost it up and respond to the bits you want to try and win an argument or impress... I’d say it’s both.
I was simply responding to your comparison to NFL with my comparison to AFL. I care not for winning arguments or impressing anyone, it was just a satirical response to a satirical suggestion, nothing more.

Go Dogs

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The drop goal thing isn't going to make the game more exciting. Teams will just be launching dumb drop goals if they're 40+ out
The reason they change from two points to one was Eric Simms kept kicking two pointers as soon as they were close enough the game became boring ...... Shit idea .

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I was simply responding to your comparison to NFL with my comparison to AFL. I care not for winning arguments or impressing anyone, it was just a satirical response to a satirical suggestion, nothing more.

Go Dogs
Yeah but you delete half of my post!... anyway we’re all on the same team.

go dogs