News NRL announces rule changes to make game more entertaining

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like playing the ball properly or feeding the scrum between the packs rather than into the second row.
Walking off the mark and then the markers are pinged for not being square... That's the one that kills me.. every now and then a ref will make a player return to the mark to play it.. which is another variation.. it should be a penalty if you acknowledge they walked of the mark..

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Walking off the mark and then the markers are pinged for not being square... That's the one that kills me.. every now and then a ref will make a player return to the mark to play it.. which is another variation.. it should be a penalty if you acknowledge they walked of the mark..
100% add forward passes from the dummy half. We need less rules and refs who will enforce them. Billy Harrigan was vigilant and unapologetic Cameron Smith would have been in the sin bin for back chat every game rather than manipulating the game if Billy was the ref

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drop goal thing isn't going to make the game more exciting. Teams will just be launching dumb drop goals if they're 40+ out
Agree, This is why rugby U is flawed and boring

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm also not a fan of the 40m field goal... Rugby much? You are going to get teams that setup a wall of defense on the attacking 40 and have a sharp shooter pop goals all game... maybe if it applied only from the 70th minute, just ludicrous...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A crack down one round will stop this shit - it really gets on my tits.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If a player needs a quick spell they may fake injury
I think the point of the rule is to stop that , and teams using trainers and players feigning injury to stop the clock so they can set the defensive line and have a breather.
It’s not unlimited interchange , Coaches won’t want to sacrifice an interchange for a quick rest

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
The drop goal thing isn't going to make the game more exciting. Teams will just be launching dumb drop goals if they're 40+ out
Unless your down by a point with a minute to play

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I remember Andrew Willis from Wests kicking one from almost halfway against Norths back in the day. Go to 1:22:25 or the first comment has timestamp.

Didn’t lachie Lewis kick a winner last year or the year before to win it?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
There’s some good stuff in that. I like the captains challenge change. To many times they would deny without knowing themselves. Also the play the ball from in to touch means less so called scrums and slow play.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Teams will be too scared of giving away 7 tackles to be doing it too often. I can’t see it changing things too much.
Teams don't really care about the extra tackle though. The best teams often take the ruck infringement early on to reset their defence.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Teams don't really care about the extra tackle though. The best teams often take the ruck infringement early on to reset their defence.
They only do that to reset the defensive line it rarely happens on a 7 tackle set from a kick going dead. Some teams are even too scared to kick a grubber because of giving away a 20 tap I can’t see them regularly taking pot shots from 40 out.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They only do that to reset the defensive line it rarely happens on a 7 tackle set from a kick going dead. Some teams are even too scared to kick a grubber because of giving away a 20 tap I can’t see them regularly taking pot shots from 40 out.
Sorry you've misunderstood my point. Teams give away a "6 again penalty" to reset their defence (not talking about giving away a penalty on a 7 tackle set).

It's the equivalent of a 7 tackle set though.
Point being teams aren't too concerned about 7 tackle sets.

I can just see the gamble of: 40m out, 5th tackle, nothing on - have a shot at a 2 point drop goal and recycling possession becoming the meta. Absolute worst case scenario is the ball goes dead for a 7 tackle set.

Honestly I'm surprised teams don't go for the 1 point and recycled possession when they're 20m out, straight in front.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry you've misunderstood my point. Teams give away a "6 again penalty" to reset their defence (not talking about giving away a penalty on a 7 tackle set).

It's the equivalent of a 7 tackle set though.
Point being teams aren't too concerned about 7 tackle sets.

I can just see the gamble of: 40m out, 5th tackle, nothing on - have a shot at a 2 point drop goal and recycling possession becoming the meta.

Honestly I'm surprised teams don't go for the 1 point and recycled possession when they're 20m out, straight in front.
7 tackle sets after a ball going dead are huge momentum swinging plays when they happen opposed to a team purposely giving away a tackle restart early in the count. There’s a huge difference between the two in my opinion and I just cannot see becoming a regular play to go for the 40+ field goal.

The 40+ field goal is such a low percentage play because it’s not that easy to hit one from so far and you’re basically giving away field position to do it.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
7 tackle sets after a ball going dead are huge momentum swinging plays when they happen opposed to a team purposely giving away a tackle restart early in the count. There’s a huge difference between the two in my opinion and I just cannot see becoming a regular play to go for the 40+ field goal.

The 40+ field goal is such a low percentage play because it’s not that easy to hit one from so far and you’re basically giving away field position to do it.
If you find yourself 40m out on the last, the kick option is a midfield bomb. With 2 points now on offer from that range it's a no brainer to put training into that kick. It's low percentage because 1 point hasn't been value effective and the training hasn't been focused on that kick - not because it's impossible, northern hemisphere union has taught us what a drop kicking half can do at that range.

It has to travel a further 10m to go dead, not an automatic 7 tackles on a miss