News NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Things like this just allow teams and coaches to exploit the rules. I'll be interested to see the stipulations around the challenge system (is it only for tries, or knock ons and forward passes as well?)? Depending how it's implemented coaches and captains could use it to break attacking teams momentum and earn a breather (like the HIA system is becomming).

20/40 is a massive risk, but I guess gives teams a chance to risk getting out of their own end if caught on their goal line.

No idea why they have changed the scrum rule, when everyones been saying for ages "Get rid of them".
A hand over is all that is required. It would speed up the game as well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just watched the video of Annesley explaining the new rules.

There was a bit of an emphasis on the trainers on the field issue. Said 90%? of the 20,000 fans who completed the survey felt that was the major complaint in the game.

They need to treat the player and get off, not loiter in the backplay. Be interesting how it goes. Alan Langer was mentioned lol.

We have first game of the season so need to be across all these new rules. Can't let Parra get a 20/40 ;)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Easiest way to resolve the trainer issue:
- If a player is injured, either it is drawn to the attention of the team by player raising hand (for officials to see), or by a fellow player. ONLY then can a trainer enter the field and ONLY to treat the player in question.
- If a player comes to the sideline they are replaced and it automatically counts as an interchange (drinks break or injury).
- During a stoppage they may enter the field once every 10 minutes to provide drinks to players, but must NOT engage in conversation with the player (coaching from sideline).

The more successful teams out there are rorting the HIA and trainer on field scenarios for a long time.

20/40 is actually good for blokes like Lewis who has a massive boot on him. Get a wind behind him, and he'll definitely nail one in 2020. Should keep wingers more aware.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Easiest way to resolve the trainer issue:
- If a player is injured, either it is drawn to the attention of the team by player raising hand (for officials to see), or by a fellow player. ONLY then can a trainer enter the field and ONLY to treat the player in question.
- If a player comes to the sideline they are replaced and it automatically counts as an interchange (drinks break or injury).
- During a stoppage they may enter the field once every 10 minutes to provide drinks to players, but must NOT engage in conversation with the player (coaching from sideline).

The more successful teams out there are rorting the HIA and trainer on field scenarios for a long time.

20/40 is actually good for blokes like Lewis who has a massive boot on him. Get a wind behind him, and he'll definitely nail one in 2020. Should keep wingers more aware.
I can see a few charge downs next season.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watched the 1998 prelim final again the other day and a few things I noticed which made for an exciting and entertaining game compared to today's game. Well its just my opinion and might not be the view of others. Ive occasionally watched older games and find it more enjoyable to watch to todays game. I think Origin is nowhere near the standard it once was. I believe fatigue played a massive part in Origin. Those bloody Queenslanders use to always play threw fatigue and put in brilliant performances at the back end of games years ago.

Anywhos - back to the 1998 game

No trainers in back play
No wrestle in the tackle which is probably why
relatively quick play of the ball for most of the game
minimal stoppages = free flowing footy
Commentators called the game without the small talk, ego and bias.
No bunker, only went to video review twice. On top of that it wasn't re-watched over and over again, once/twice was enough then on with the game.
Pretty big crowd, electric. With that I dare say the audio quality captured at the ground during broadcast these days is far superior to some old youtube clip.
No smart arses, just tuff no nonsense footy because the biff hadnt been outlawed yet
Halligan confident, stern and immediate with his officiating. He didnt call blokes mate, he policed them.

There where times this year I was seriously contemplating not following the sport anymore but being a Dogs supporter for some time, its not as simple as that. Reality is, change is inevitable but that doesnt mean it has to be negative.

I think Gus actually gives a shit about the sport and where its heading. Cant stand the bloke in commentary. Perhaps he'd be better suited to Greenbergs job or have a major roll with power behind the scenes in the running of the NRL. Ive always thought he was one smart cookie when it comes to league.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Watched the 1998 prelim final again the other day and a few things I noticed which made for an exciting and entertaining game compared to today's game. Well its just my opinion and might not be the view of others. Ive occasionally watched older games and find it more enjoyable to watch to todays game. I think Origin is nowhere near the standard it once was. I believe fatigue played a massive part in Origin. Those bloody Queenslanders use to always play threw fatigue and put in brilliant performances at the back end of games years ago.

Anywhos - back to the 1998 game

No trainers in back play
No wrestle in the tackle which is probably why
relatively quick play of the ball for most of the game
minimal stoppages = free flowing footy
Commentators called the game without the small talk, ego and bias.
No bunker, only went to video review twice. On top of that it wasn't re-watched over and over again, once/twice was enough then on with the game.
Pretty big crowd, electric. With that I dare say the audio quality captured at the ground during broadcast these days is far superior to some old youtube clip.
No smart arses, just tuff no nonsense footy because the biff hadnt been outlawed yet
Halligan confident, stern and immediate with his officiating. He didnt call blokes mate, he policed them.

There where times this year I was seriously contemplating not following the sport anymore but being a Dogs supporter for some time, its not as simple as that. Reality is, change is inevitable but that doesnt mean it has to be negative.

I think Gus actually gives a shit about the sport and where its heading. Cant stand the bloke in commentary. Perhaps he'd be better suited to Greenbergs job or have a major roll with power behind the scenes in the running of the NRL. Ive always thought he was one smart cookie when it comes to league.
League changed for the worst in 2007 imo... The begging of the wrestling and cheating Storm era

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Going to see a lot more tries scored from cross field kicks if you can’t tackle an attacking player in the air.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Evolving the game is questionable, next thing you have something that is nothing like it used to be.
Do they have the right?