Rugby League Eye Test analysis

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully there is another iteration of this coming which feeds Burton out the back of the left shape, but it is interesting using him as a first receiver on the long right.

its a shame this post has 3 replies but there have been hundreds on who is our ref this Friday

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a decent enough analysis of that play, but what is missing is how did they get into position in the previous play/s to enable that attacking structure. That play doesn't work if the field spacing isn't exactly as it needs to be, for example too small and it's cramped with no room for the outside players to draw their respective defense. Plus the A & B defenders can kill the play before it gets started.

To understand attacking structure we need to not just look at the one play, we need to look at the preceding play, sometimes 2 plays, to get an understanding of how and why that play worked.

Teams are getting very good at defense, particularly inside 20 metres. One single play won't break down a decent defense, it requires 2 or 3 plays to work the chess pieces into position, both attackers and defenders.

There is a reason Ciraldo and Gould went after "seasoned" players, they can follow coaching instructions and carry them out even when stressed mentally and physically. Plainly last season's players couldn't.

Always a Bulldog

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a decent enough analysis of that play, but what is missing is how did they get into position in the previous play/s to enable that attacking structure. That play doesn't work if the field spacing isn't exactly as it needs to be, for example too small and it's cramped with no room for the outside players to draw their respective defense. Plus the A & B defenders can kill the play before it gets started.

To understand attacking structure we need to not just look at the one play, we need to look at the preceding play, sometimes 2 plays, to get an understanding of how and why that play worked.

Teams are getting very good at defense, particularly inside 20 metres. One single play won't break down a decent defense, it requires 2 or 3 plays to work the chess pieces into position, both attackers and defenders.

There is a reason Ciraldo and Gould went after "seasoned" players, they can follow coaching instructions and carry them out even when stressed mentally and physically. Plainly last season's players couldn't.

Always a Bulldog
Not in this case tbh, as they’re focusing on how we use Kikau to our advantage. I mean how far do you want to go back? They even mention tries where Kiks was involved a play or more before the try scoring one, which describes how he can be used to basically herd the opponent in a certain direction.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this video. It's so refreshing to have an edge that can match it with any team.. I've even noticed just how much traffic gets sent Critta's way.. this will become even more useful as the season progresses.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not in this case tbh, as they’re focusing on how we use Kikau to our advantage. I mean how far do you want to go back? They even mention tries where Kiks was involved a play or more before the try scoring one, which describes how he can be used to basically herd the opponent in a certain direction.
Go back one play, how did we get into a position where we have only spacing for 4 players on the short side, 1 playing the ball and 1 dummy half then 7 players on the open side? That's what makes that play possible, get the spacing wrong and that play doesn't work. The 2 players outside Kikau, Crighton and Tracey, don't have the space to draw their respective defenders, they can pinch in. If that side is compressed then the A and B defenders can get to Kikau before he gets up a head of steam.

I look at it more like what play's did we use to set up that play, rather than how did we use Kikau in that play. If there are no previous set up plays, then Kikau can't be used, not effectively anyway. That's what we saw last season.

Always a Bulldog

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hopefully there is another iteration of this coming which feeds Burton out the back of the left shape, but it is interesting using him as a first receiver on the long right.

its a shame this post has 3 replies but there have been hundreds on who is our ref this Friday
I think the key on both sides is where that play is on, Burton has more speed and can threaten the line if they slide too much towards the back rower.

I'm no Hutch lover (nor hater), but on that style of play, it's always going to be Burton at first receiver. Where it's block, short ball or short kick, they might use Hutch on the right side

Always a Bulldog
I think on their good ball sets, they'll be aiming at the far post (tackle 2 or 3), with a big body to set up 6 and 4 in the defenders. It will be something they rehearse at every training. I do it with my juniors to get set for the set play in good field position.

You're right if A & B get up quickly and or stick. But in that instance, you have Preston or Kikau 1:1 with an edge defender if Hutch does his job, or the centres 1:1 if the backrowers need to draw and pass. Critta for sure and now Kiraz are tackle breakers in the centres. It won't always work, but it spreads the line thinner and under fatigue, our edges are a chance.

Totally agree re recruitment. Those players can execute the set play AND play eyes up if the set play isn't on. It's been a big difference in our attack/play this season

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A 5 minute video reviewing some of our shapes from last weekend posted by Rugby League Writers - an independent NRL outlet:

Jason demtriou taking lessons from a youtuber..

Watch him rush his A B defenders at the ball playing lock and run all the attack at Kikau to tire him with the ball.

To counter dogs just pump it in behind markers.. a casual turning in attackers with good leg speed back in under the ruck should work a treat.. if we can get Morrin in on time against a tired Burges or even out and in balls to Taafe. happy days.

Also ensure Ur kick chase on laterall is spot on.. I hope Burton brings out his bombs on Friday.

Last edited:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing for sure is that smaller guys that defend on the edge need to be very strong defende and have a great understanding with their back row defensive partner.

Also, there have been a number of tackles Hutch has made within our 10m zone that a smaller body would have been struggling to make.

I’ve been away for a week so it was great to watch the replay - how good was Kiraz!! A number of his plays reminded me of Crichton.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I want to know is what prompted the change of having Burto run all over the park? I love it and we are way more unpredictable when that’s happening, but it just seems random. It’s not the first time he’s done ot but I wonder if coach only directs him to do it in certain games or what. It’s strange actually. Hopefully he does it every game because it definitely makes us harder to defend.