News NRL 2023: Speculation growing Mitch Moses could leave Parramatta, sign with Tigers or Bulldogs

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My 20 cents (grossly overpriced at that) on who might drop out of the 8 and why, my view is that top 8 is also about depth not just how many strike players are on the roster;

Penrith - No, they have enough depth to survive almost anything.

Chooks - Possibly, they have the same old problem, their top 17 is quality, but the drop off is sharp after that. Their main "enforcer" JWH isn't getting any younger and a few injuries (cough cough Keary) and they are farked. Plus if Robinson continues with his crazy player welfare decisions from the last 3 seasons then injuries are a likely result.

Scum - Likely, but who knows what happens to Brad Arthur if they drop a few in row. They have lost Niukore, Isaiah Papali'i, Stone, Oregon Kaufusi, Mahoney, Perham and Opacic and aside from Hodgson haven't replaced them with anyone of note.

Cowboys - No, too much home ground advantage (BTW we beat them in R1 last year) and they haven't lost much in the way of quality players.

Sharks - Possibly, same as Chooks, depth is questionable. Plus they have lost Metcalf, Pele, Fifita and Tolman (that's a hell of a lot of experience gone) and not really replaced them with anyone.

Storm - Unlikely, but Paps is out for no one knows how long, Meanie is playing fullback, and they have lost Bromwich's x 2, Nofoaluma is no longer on loan, Felise Kaufusi and of course Brandon Smith. The big question, how much has Bellamy got left in him as this his last year (maybe).

Bunnies - Possibly, they have only really lost Nicholls and Nikorima but they haven't been replaced, they are relying on promotion from within (in other words they have Cap problems). Their half back is worse than ours, Cook and Burgess are another year older and aside from Mitchell and Johnson their backline looks weak.

Raiders -Likely, they have lost Hodgson, Sutton, Elliott and CNK plus they don't have an experienced back-up halfback since Sam Williams has retired.

That's 2 x No, 1 x Unlikely, 3 x Possibly and 2 x Likely.

Always a Bulldog
Cheers for the 0.20c input bro, I think it’s undervalued at that price

Honestly I agree with you. Depth is hugely important, and imo ours is an issue aswell. Honestly if burton goes down, we’re cooked. But let’s keep that thought out of our minds.

We also need to remember we weren’t fringe top 8 last year. We finished 12th. With Manly, Broncos and Dragons above us. So realistically we need those teams to fall off/us improve more than them aswell. I have St George as wooden spooners or close to it so I think that’s one spot at least. Broncos, who knows. A lot of (reportedly) unhappy troop's up there so maybe we out perform them this year. And manly with fully fit turbo are a top 4 side. We saw it in 2021.
And if teams like Knights, Titans and Tigers improve more than we do it’ll be even harder to make the 8.
I know I sound super pessimistic, but it’s just how I’m looking at the season from my angle.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I said Chricton was coming to us over a year ago and has signed for us in '24.

As for Moses coming, I'd say it's highly unlikely he will, especially with what he is asking for.

Has no affiliation with the Bulldogs but has previously stayed loyal to the Eels and is more chance of resigning or going to the Tigers as they are offering him more than the Eels and us.

I feel Gus and Ciraldo really want to see how Flanagan goes this year and within 6 or 8 rounds of this season they'll know whether they re sign Flanagan or look outside the club. A couple from left field and for far less than Moses could be Corey Paix from the Broncos who is off contract at the end of this season and George Williams who wants to play in the NRL again and I feel he'd be a better fit for us than Moses who has a similar game to Burton in the halves.
Corey paix is fucking shit.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of our squad, you need to consider who from last years top 8 is going to fall out? To make room for us? Who gets worse by a margin big enough to allow us into the 8? Penrith? No. Roosters? No. Parra? Maybe but I still think they win enough games to make it. Cowboys? Potentially. Sharks? No. Storm? Unlikely. Bunnies? Potentially. Raiders? Potentially.
Looking at that, there will probably be 1, maybe 2 that slide down the ladder from last year.
We have a fresh squad, that will take time to click, a brand new head coach with <10 head coaching games to his name, and in those games the team effectively run itself, by his admission. I would like to think our squad will get us there and I’m very hopeful for it. But to say it’s a guarantee or poor season not to make the 8 is a bit of a stretch. Unless we come out the gates like Cowboys last year and have an outlier season. Fingers crossed.
With the talent we've bought if we don't make the 8 at the very least, we won't be making it to a Grand Final for 4 or 5 years. It will be the strongest squad we've had in years. Anything less would be a total failure. Here are the squads from 2012 to 2016 where we made the Finals in those 5 years.

2012 Grand Final Teams

2013 Qualifying Final

2014 - Grand Final

2015 - Semi Final

2016 - Qualifying Final

Bulldogs predicted side for Round 1 of 2023 Season.

Canterbury Bulldogs
1. Hayze Perham
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Jake Averillo
4. Paul Alamoti
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Max King
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Fa'amanu Brown

15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Andrew Davey
17. Franklin Pele

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corey paix is fucking shit.
OK scrub him then, but he's still only 22 and can only improve as anyone would at that age, with more First Grade experience.

A bad team can make a good player look ordinary, conversely a good team can make a bad player look good.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
OK scrub him then, but he's still only 22 and can only improve as anyone would at that age, with more First Grade experience.

A bad team can make a good player look ordinary, conversely a good team can make a bad player look good.
Just the same as a shit player can still be shit.

Flanagan is what 23-24?

Shit at chooks. Shit here.

I understand what your saying if we miss moses, Gus will no doubt go for someone like George Williams.

Though let’s not get it twisted. Flanagan is fucking woeful. He isn’t the answer. He won’t be in the nrl beyond depth. I’d struggle to name a worse halfback.

There is also no way paix is the back up. He’s fucking trash.

George Williams. Sure great option. If he wants to return. Big if.

Moses is a top 3-5 halfback in my opinion. Is he overpaid next contract. No doubt. Says how thin the quality is and the available options coming up. I personally hope we land him.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With the talent we've bought if we don't make the 8 at the very least, we won't be making it to a Grand Final for 4 or 5 years. It will be the strongest squad we've had in years. Anything less would be a total failure. Here are the squads from 2012 to 2016 where we made the Finals in those 5 years.

2012 Grand Final Teams

2013 Qualifying Final

2014 - Grand Final

2015 - Semi Final

2016 - Qualifying Final

Bulldogs predicted side for Round 1 of 2023 Season.

Canterbury Bulldogs
1. Hayze Perham
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Jake Averillo
4. Paul Alamoti
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Kyle Flanagan
8. Luke Thompson
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Max King
11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Fa'amanu Brown

15. Tevita Pangai Junior
16. Andrew Davey
17. Franklin Pele
Our 23 team doesn’t need to compare to our previous finals teams to determine whether we make the 8 or not. Our 23 team needs to be compared to the other 16 teams in the comp this year.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our 23 team doesn’t need to compare to our previous finals teams to determine whether we make the 8 or not. Our 23 team needs to be compared to the other 16 teams in the comp this year.
Spot on!!!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The game hasn't changed that much over the last 10 years and if you can't see the level of improvement in not only our team from those 5 years where we had a very handy side but that made it to 5 Final Series, but also the coaching staff. We had Des during that period and during the last 6 years we have had Dean Pay, Trent Barrett and improved a little under Potter.

Having Ciraldo, Gould and more rep players in our squad since we last won the competition in 2004. We're NOT the finished product yet but are without doubt a top 8 team for this year's Finals, IMO.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also remember reading a report last year about which teams had the best draws and which didn't.

We had to play more teams in the top 8 twice from the previous year and the TWO teams that were advantaged with last year's draw were both Cowboys and Sharks who played less top 8 teams from the previous year twice.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The game hasn't changed that much over the last 10 years and if you can't see the level of improvement in not only our team from those 5 years where we had a very handy side but that made it to 5 Final Series, but also the coaching staff. We had Des during that period and during the last 6 years we have had Dean Pay, Trent Barrett and improved a little under Potter.

Having Ciraldo, Gould and more rep players in our squad since we last won the competition in 2004. We're NOT the finished product yet but are without doubt a top 8 team for this year's Finals, IMO.
I’m not really sure how previous finals teams are relevant in the current competition, but each to their own.
To be completely honest with you I hope you’re right. I hope we shoot up the ladder and go deep into the finals. I just don’t think it will be as certain as you think it will be.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 20 cents (grossly overpriced at that) on who might drop out of the 8 and why, my view is that top 8 is also about depth not just how many strike players are on the roster;

Penrith - No, they have enough depth to survive almost anything.

Chooks - Possibly, they have the same old problem, their top 17 is quality, but the drop off is sharp after that. Their main "enforcer" JWH isn't getting any younger and a few injuries (cough cough Keary) and they are farked. Plus if Robinson continues with his crazy player welfare decisions from the last 3 seasons then injuries are a likely result.

Scum - Likely, but who knows what happens to Brad Arthur if they drop a few in row. They have lost Niukore, Isaiah Papali'i, Stone, Oregon Kaufusi, Mahoney, Perham and Opacic and aside from Hodgson haven't replaced them with anyone of note.

Cowboys - No, too much home ground advantage (BTW we beat them in R1 last year) and they haven't lost much in the way of quality players.

Sharks - Possibly, same as Chooks, depth is questionable. Plus they have lost Metcalf, Pele, Fifita and Tolman (that's a hell of a lot of experience gone) and not really replaced them with anyone.

Storm - Unlikely, but Paps is out for no one knows how long, Meanie is playing fullback, and they have lost Bromwich's x 2, Nofoaluma is no longer on loan, Felise Kaufusi and of course Brandon Smith. The big question, how much has Bellamy got left in him as this his last year (maybe).

Bunnies - Possibly, they have only really lost Nicholls and Nikorima but they haven't been replaced, they are relying on promotion from within (in other words they have Cap problems). Their half back is worse than ours, Cook and Burgess are another year older and aside from Mitchell and Johnson their backline looks weak.

Raiders -Likely, they have lost Hodgson, Sutton, Elliott and CNK plus they don't have an experienced back-up halfback since Sam Williams has retired.

That's 2 x No, 1 x Unlikely, 3 x Possibly and 2 x Likely.

Always a Bulldog
I said Chricton was coming to us over a year ago and has signed for us in '24.

As for Moses coming, I'd say it's highly unlikely he will, especially with what he is asking for.

Has no affiliation with the Bulldogs but has previously stayed loyal to the Eels and is more chance of resigning or going to the Tigers as they are offering him more than the Eels and us.

I feel Gus and Ciraldo really want to see how Flanagan goes this year and within 6 or 8 rounds of this season they'll know whether they re sign Flanagan or look outside the club. A couple from left field and for far less than Moses could be Corey Paix from the Broncos who is off contract at the end of this season and George Williams who wants to play in the NRL again and I feel he'd be a better fit for us than Moses who has a similar game to Burton in the halves.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One post u say he hasn’t decided then you say he’s staying at the eels. You’re a confusing little man
Lol. Poor guy is desperate for Moses to sign with us. He is going to go insane unless Moses quickly makes a decision

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not really sure how previous finals teams are relevant in the current competition, but each to their own.
To be completely honest with you I hope you’re right. I hope we shoot up the ladder and go deep into the finals. I just don’t think it will be as certain as you think it will be.
I explained it to you. Game hasn't changed that much over the last 10 years but we made Finals footy for 5 years in a row with less rep players and were stuck with players on back ended contracts but still were still competitive enough to make the Finals.

We now have more room to move in the salary cap and it's showing with more rep and premiership players being signed for '23 and more again in '24.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the best laugh I’ve had in years.

Either you’re an Eels supporter infiltrating the Kennel or you’ve been living under a rock for sometime.

With the team we have this season any true blooded Bulldog supporter would be disappointed if we didn’t make the 8 at the very least. We’re not premiership material yet but we’re not far off. 12 current players are off contract at the end of this season. Most will go leaving us with more room in the cap to buy better players. You may have missed it but we’ve signed Chrichton for ‘24 so there’s the FB spot sorted. Burton is our number 6, jury is out on Flanagan but he’s still young and needs to be given a chance in a better squad and under a new coach. Not saying he’s the answer to being our long term half but he has to prove himself, more than anyone, as this is his last year in his contract with us. Oh you may have also missed that we’ve signed a young and one of the better hookers in the game in Reed Mahoney.

Last time we made the 8 was 2016 and we were finalists from 2012 to 2016 with a far weaker squad than we have now.

Oh and if you believe the season round results are a good guide to Finals then you haven’t followed the game to long. Who was it that beat the Eels in the GF last season?

Finally Eels are weaker this season than last, they still have enough good players to make the 8 but are no hope of winning a comp while they persevere with Brad Arthur as coach. Last time they won a comp was 37 years ago in 1986!
Dogs supporter through and through for over 40 years. I hate the Eels. They are our arch enemy.
Much as I hate to admit it, I can't see us finishing in the 8 this year. We should finish 9th or 10th. Next year, 2nd year with Ciraldos systems and another at least 2 good contracted additions in Crighton and Xerri we should make the top 8.
The best team in the comp beat the Eels last year, after losing twice to the Eels during the season.
Yes we are better in 2023, but not better than 8 teams.
I win footy tipping competitions just for fun. How do you go in them?
In 23 we don't have an elite 1, 6 or 7.
Our 6 could become elite in the future. ATM he's a rep centre. The teams with the best spines make the finals and ATM those teams are...in no particular order....Penrith, Souths, Roosters, Storm, Eels, Sharks, Cowboys and Manly.
Next is Tigers, Dogs, Broncos, Raiders
Then Warriors, St George, Titans, Newcastle and Dolphins
There's a lot of ordinary teams with ordinary spines there in that bottom 9.