News NRL 2022: Canterbury Bulldogs win 16-12 over Sydney Roosters in thriller

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touch judges (if they are in the right position) are better placed to pick up forward passes than a referee 10 metres back from the play the ball. Problem is most of them are referees of lesser ability. This is why sometimes in big important games you see refs like Butler, C.Sutton,and Ziggy doing 2 games per weekend, one in the centre and one running the line.
I've been a big critic of Gerard Sutton in particular and sometimes Cummins, but I didn't think there was a massive problem with Cummins last night.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Can’t knock the effort of the team under Baz.. however our inability to attack and lapses in defence make you question if he can get the best out of our side.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been a big critic of Gerard Sutton in particular and sometimes Cummins, but I didn't think there was a massive problem with Cummins last night.
Thats only because we won. Lol did his beat, as usual, to prevent it happening though. Had that last try been awarded, the kennel would have been in conspiracy meltdown!! Lol

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guts and determination and a never say die attitude is essential and often game-winning, but commonsense and basic discipline are even more important so incessantly giving away silly penalties and making basic mistakes negate all that good hard work and effort.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Like you I’m not a fan of Cummins and brothers inc. aka the 3 stooges. Cummins last night wasn’t anywhere near as bad with us as he has been in the past. I looked up Cummins profile yesterday on nrl web site. He was 48 in February. Surely he is close to the end. Badger who was forcibly retired at a slightly younger age was a better ref. By comparison i reffed the far slower junior league from ages 16 to 38 and I knew half way through my last season that I was cooked.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still not on the sack Barrett bandwagon yet. If you listen to both pressers after the game both coaches were articulate, calm and level headed with regards to team performance. We are a halfback away from being a good team. I'm confident this team will improve under Barrett. If we loose the next four games however my confidence could be rocked. If Robinson was the Bulldogs coach there'd be calls for his sacking too.

I didn't see the game just listened and read the negativity on here at halftime, but we beat the roosters. My favourite team to hate. Happy days.
I don't think Baz is out of the woods at all based on the Rorters game. While it was great to get the win our attack was still pedestrian as usual. The Rorters attack was horrible and we had enough ball to put 30 on them. Any other NRL side would have done so I don't Gus will be convinced by this win at all. It came on the back of hunger and desire to win but that won't sustain itself for the rest of the year. We need to be able to score more than 16 points to win a few more games

While I agree we need a gun halfback, we also need a change in our attacking structure, fitness, discipline and a few other things I've forgotten about. It seems like the only way to fix that is with a new coach. While I'd love to win the next few games, even if we do, I think the writing is on the wall and Baz will be sacked. He deserves to be for being loyal to plodders like JMK and Jackson

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was solid for 70 mins then gave roosters every 5050 call

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bunker gave it the all clear all the way to the end where it was eventually disallowed because of Suali’s foot going out. He even stated that Burton was impeded and said it was play on FFS
The bunker had money bags on roosters surely he can't be that dumb as it clearly was an obstruction

Reaction score
Thats only because we won. Lol did his beat, as usual, to prevent it happening though. Had that last try been awarded, the kennel would have been in conspiracy meltdown!! Lol
yeah true, but in the general run of the game he put his whistle away and let us play,
was refreshing not being penalised every 5 minutes

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Baz is out of the woods at all based on the Rorters game. While it was great to get the win our attack was still pedestrian as usual. The Rorters attack was horrible and we had enough ball to put 30 on them. Any other NRL side would have done so I don't Gus will be convinced by this win at all. It came on the back of hunger and desire to win but that won't sustain itself for the rest of the year. We need to be able to score more than 16 points to win a few more games

While I agree we need a gun halfback, we also need a change in our attacking structure, fitness, discipline and a few other things I've forgotten about. It seems like the only way to fix that is with a new coach. While I'd love to win the next few games, even if we do, I think the writing is on the wall and Baz will be sacked. He deserves to be for being loyal to plodders like JMK and Jackson
I think Jacko deserves he’s place in team. Just limited to what he’s getting. Maybe the players really lifted yesterday out of respect for him. Hard to know, I’d be happy with Jacko playing two, twenty minute stints. Where he just focuses on yardage, and tackling he’s heart out

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The bunker had money bags on roosters surely he can't be that dumb as it clearly was an obstruction
Same referee in the bunker (Adam Gee), who screwed up the Tupou high shot on the field on Anzac Day. Dropped to video ref as a result. He might get dropped to n.s.w. Cup now. Pity as I have felt for a couple of years he is a good young ref on the way up

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In hindsight Burton saved the match for us, yet should he have taken a dive. Risky as bunker would of probably ruled it his fault

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Jacko deserves he’s place in team. Just limited to what he’s getting. Maybe the players really lifted yesterday out of respect for him. Hard to know, I’d be happy with Jacko playing two, twenty minute stints. Where he just focuses on yardage, and tackling he’s heart out
JJ should just concentrate on defence and stop trying to be an Isiah Yeo type ball player. Keep out of the road when we are trying to break the line but back up anyone who makes a break.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
She’s a French national, apparently, he met her when he was there.
He speaks fluent French, his kids all speak fluent French and when they were interviewing Block of Cheese he said when he was at Trent Robinsons house Trent only spoke in French to his kids which blew him away lol
I see what you did there - French, Cheese… :-).

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JJ should just concentrate on defence and stop trying to be an Isiah Yeo type ball player. Keep out of the road when we are trying to break the line but back up anyone who makes a break.
Pretty much hey. He can still offer good yardage, but playing direct in behind the ruck. No more being a link player. We’ve got a ball playing fullback who can fill that role

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Here as a Chooks supporters, congrats on a decent win. Towards the end of the game when the Chooks looked like they could score I said to my mate, if we win it's no reflection of the game.

Reckon the fans and players can take a lot out of that win. You blokes showed real ticker and JAC....FMS he's a talker in that side BUT he walks the walk
man.
I reckon break that drought, you're gonna see a needed turnaround.

Congrats guys on a good deserved win.....mind you if it was Souffs I'd be pissed deluxe. But I have a soft spot for the Berries.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who wants Waddell over him is kidding themselves. Put Jackson in his role and he’s fine. He’s just playing in a terrible attacking system for his play style. Should not be a ball playing lock.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Last week I mentioned that we need a new captain. Jackson hasn’t had much luck leading this team. This week we win. What are your thoughts
Put Jacko back in his correct position, play him less minutes and remove the captaincy. I think taking all that pressure off him will get the best from him.

Yeh its weird having jac as captain in his first year here, but he's up to it and the biggest talker in the side. Titans made tino a captain straight away so its not unprecedented