NRL 2022: Bulldogs forward Max King opens up on his vow of celibacy and Christian beliefs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he roots better than he passes from left to right.

Otherwise she will be back on the market the day after their wedding

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Source: The Australian newspaper

Bulldogs forward Max King is staying true to his faith and vowing to abstain from sex before marriage — and it’s a move which has the respect of his teammates.

Rising NRL star Max King has gone public with his desire to abstain from sex before marriage, admitting his teammates respect his deeply personal decision.

The Canterbury Bulldogs forward has emerged as the first professional footballer to openly discuss his plan for celibacy since former Australian, St George and Cronulla forward Jason Stevens told of his own mission to abstain in 1999.

King, 24, said he had made the courageous call due to his staunch Christian beliefs.

“Remaining abstinent is what I’m pursuing,’’ King said.

“It can be difficult. There’s lot of influences.

“It’s also about being careful with what environments I put myself in and who I hang around with outside of football.

“Obviously going to church and hanging around with other Christians or other people with faith is what I enjoy.

“And as the saying goes, iron sharpens iron.

View attachment 42937

“I just like to be conscious of what environments I put myself in.

“I talk openly about it with the boys and they respect me for who I am.

“I don’t mind the boys taking the piss, I’m fine with it, because I’ll be taking the piss out of them for something.

“It’s footy. I know it’s not personal, I know a lot of the boys do respect it.’’
https://supercoach.com.au/
Stevens, who wrote the book “Worth The Wait”, joked: “He’s a better looking man than me, so I wish him well.

“But in all seriousness, it’s such a great thing. I have met Max and he’s a determined guy. He knows why he’s taken this stance — it’s a strong conviction.

“It’s difficult to explain to people, but ultimately he will end up earning people’s respect and admiration for being so disciplined.’’

King is the grandson of champion St George winger and seven-time premiership-winner, Johnny King.

A hard-running forward who will play for the Bulldogs in their opening round clash with the Cowboys in Townsville on Sunday night, King said his faith has only been strengthened during a tumultuous past 18 months that almost ended his NRL career.

Max King will play for the Bulldogs against the Cowboys in round one. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Max King will play for the Bulldogs against the Cowboys in round one. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

King was forced to stop playing with his previous club the Melbourne Storm last year, unable to run or walk, due to a foot deformity known as Haglund’s Syndrome.

“I felt like I hadn’t achieved anything,’’ said King, who has played 50 NRL games.

“I felt like, if this is it, I’m going to be that disappointed.

“But as bad as I got, I always felt like I had god with me and that’s what gave me the confidence to go and get this contract with the Dogs.

“My career would be over, if not for this deal.

“I talk about God’s plan for us and just because I follow God that doesn’t mean everything works great for you.

“Sometimes you’ve got to go through those things in life to be stronger and my faith has never been stronger through those adversities.

“I know it will be hard to do, but remaining abstinent is a challenge I’m willing to take on.’’