NRL 2022: Bulldogs forward Max King opens up on his vow of celibacy and Christian beliefs

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Source: The Australian newspaper

Bulldogs forward Max King is staying true to his faith and vowing to abstain from sex before marriage — and it’s a move which has the respect of his teammates.

Rising NRL star Max King has gone public with his desire to abstain from sex before marriage, admitting his teammates respect his deeply personal decision.

The Canterbury Bulldogs forward has emerged as the first professional footballer to openly discuss his plan for celibacy since former Australian, St George and Cronulla forward Jason Stevens told of his own mission to abstain in 1999.

King, 24, said he had made the courageous call due to his staunch Christian beliefs.

“Remaining abstinent is what I’m pursuing,’’ King said.

“It can be difficult. There’s lot of influences.

“It’s also about being careful with what environments I put myself in and who I hang around with outside of football.

“Obviously going to church and hanging around with other Christians or other people with faith is what I enjoy.

“And as the saying goes, iron sharpens iron.

48803E5C-7165-49B0-B8E8-7C5CA59F3106.jpeg

“I just like to be conscious of what environments I put myself in.

“I talk openly about it with the boys and they respect me for who I am.

“I don’t mind the boys taking the piss, I’m fine with it, because I’ll be taking the piss out of them for something.

“It’s footy. I know it’s not personal, I know a lot of the boys do respect it.’’
https://supercoach.com.au/
Stevens, who wrote the book “Worth The Wait”, joked: “He’s a better looking man than me, so I wish him well.

“But in all seriousness, it’s such a great thing. I have met Max and he’s a determined guy. He knows why he’s taken this stance — it’s a strong conviction.

“It’s difficult to explain to people, but ultimately he will end up earning people’s respect and admiration for being so disciplined.’’

King is the grandson of champion St George winger and seven-time premiership-winner, Johnny King.

A hard-running forward who will play for the Bulldogs in their opening round clash with the Cowboys in Townsville on Sunday night, King said his faith has only been strengthened during a tumultuous past 18 months that almost ended his NRL career.

Max King will play for the Bulldogs against the Cowboys in round one. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

Max King will play for the Bulldogs against the Cowboys in round one. Picture: Ashley Feder/Getty Images

King was forced to stop playing with his previous club the Melbourne Storm last year, unable to run or walk, due to a foot deformity known as Haglund’s Syndrome.

“I felt like I hadn’t achieved anything,’’ said King, who has played 50 NRL games.

“I felt like, if this is it, I’m going to be that disappointed.

“But as bad as I got, I always felt like I had god with me and that’s what gave me the confidence to go and get this contract with the Dogs.

“My career would be over, if not for this deal.

“I talk about God’s plan for us and just because I follow God that doesn’t mean everything works great for you.

“Sometimes you’ve got to go through those things in life to be stronger and my faith has never been stronger through those adversities.

“I know it will be hard to do, but remaining abstinent is a challenge I’m willing to take on.’’

Last edited by a moderator:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on him. That takes crazy will power and staunch faith. He must have a lot of pent up aggression in there… he’ll be absolutely whacking blokes every week on the field.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s OK King, the feeling you’ll get lifting the trophy at the end of the season will be better than any sex you’d get
I applaud Max's personal decision for the simple fact of doing what he believes in and that takes guts, especially being open with it.

But GM, although I've never lifted that trophy - I think you might be doing it wrong.

Like this one time......

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course his team mates support his decision, in a perfect wingman sort of way he'd make the break, run 50m and provide the final pass for his team mates.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on him. That takes crazy will power and staunch faith. He must have a lot of pent up aggression in there… he’ll be absolutely whacking blokes every week on the field.
Or “whacking” the trouser snake lots to deal with it!!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, he's a reverse Elliott?
Let's see if the media follow him everywhere, looking for the scoop about his "sex romp". If they can't fault him, the Murdoch pack will make something up.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was the same when I played League for a few seasons as a youngster. In my case, it was unenforced celibacy - girls avoided me like the plague due to the Psoriasis that covered my body. It does make you aggressive on the field. Or frustrated. I can't remember which.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sure he’ll be fucked over by Baz before he gets married

GG

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD.. I dont give a toss if they collect stamps, paint butterflys, are vegan, carnivorous, gay, straight, non binal, left handed, religiuos, like to bake stuff or sit in cupboards and read poetry... Stop talking and play some competitive footy, faaaaark.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Now we know why Elliott and CHN were moved on, removing the bad influences, only 1 more to go ……. tick……..tick.

Always a Bulldog