NRL 2021, transfer market: Kyle Flanagan rubbishes Super League rumours,

Bulldogsforlife23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NRL 2021, transfer market: Kyle Flanagan rubbishes Super League rumours, Bulldogs sign Paul Vaughan | Daily Telegraph
Nick Campton
Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan has hosed down any potential move to Super League as the Bulldogs halfback prepares for another return to the NRL.
Flanagan has endured a difficult season at Belmore after being dropped from the top squad twice, but the 22-year-old rubbished claims he had been offered up to clubs in England for next season.

“That was a funny one,” Flanagan said. “I know there was a report they were trying to get my old man (Shane) over there. But there’s nothing there.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“I didn’t really worry about it. Sometimes you have to laugh about the things that get put in the media. I know where I am on my journey of my football career and I want to keep improving each week.

“I’ll always back my own ability and I know where I stand here at the Bulldogs.”

Kyle Flanagan is back in the halves for the Bulldogs against the Titans. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Kyle Flanagan is back in the halves for the Bulldogs against the Titans. Picture: Alix Sweeney
Flanagan is under contract until the end of 2023 but could find it difficult to crack Trent Barrett’s backline given the wealth of recruits they’ve already landed for next year.

With Matt Burton set to take up the five-eighth spot and Jake Averillo impressing through this season, Flanagan could be on the back foot.

But the former Rooster and Shark has a chance to press his claims over the rest of the season, starting this week when he partners Averillo in the halves against the Titans.

However, Flanagan says he’s not looking at it that way and is focused solely on helping the luckless Bulldogs string some wins together.

“I’m on my own journey in my own part of my career,” Flanagan said. “I’m just trying to improve each week and not worry about (next year). I want to continue on with my journey as a football player, I want to win games for this footy club.

“Sitting at the bottom of the ladder doesn’t sit well with me. There hasn’t been any chat about that (the wooden spoon). Everyone knows where we sit on the ladder but there’s six weeks left. We string a few wins together it’ll take care of itself.”

It’s been a rollercoaster ride for Flanagan over the past two years but the talented halfback is set on making his mark over the final stretch of the competition.

Not too long ago he was counted as one of the best up-and-coming halves in the competition — and Flanagan is confident he can make the best of his latest recall to the top grade.

Kyle Flanagan has had a tough first season at the Bulldogs. Picture: Bulldogs Media

Kyle Flanagan has had a tough first season at the Bulldogs. Picture: Bulldogs Media
“Baz just wants me to go out there and enjoy my footy,” he said. “Sometimes we can overcomplicate things quite a bit, he just wants me to go out there and enjoy myself and play my natural game, get myself into the game as best I can.

“I think I said it before, that’s probably been the hardest part of my career. I’m a positive person and I train so hard, and I had a goal in mind to get back into this footy team.

“My moment is here now and I can’t wait to get on the field on Sunday.”

Last edited by a moderator:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan had an interview today (can go to doggies YT) and them media would of just quoted what he said from that.

Reactions: GDR

silva

Utility
Reaction score
He’s still leading our try assists lol get after it son

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s still leading our try assists lol get after it son
I understand he hasn’t been the best but Averillo hasn’t been any better, Baz has been more blunt on Kyle who knows why. Maybe he knows something we don’t. He has dropped every spine player this year except Averillo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I understand he hasn’t been the best but Averillo hasn’t been any better, Baz has been more blunt on Kyle who knows why. Maybe he knows something we don’t. He has dropped every spine player this year except Averillo.
Because Kyle was playing like pure shit and negative impacting Jake's development. Jake showed some improvement and was learning but has regressed massively lately so it was all a waste of time in the end.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Let’s see if he is the enforcer many think he is and a good prop this weekend is where he needs to show us something. I hope he does and kills it
I'll be shocked if he does.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He doesn't have the running game or natural ability to play heads up footy. What he can do is try and do the 1 percenters perfectly like Cronk did his whole career and just be a solid and accurate link in the back line plays. He needs to work on a perfect and controlled kicking game and just get better each week. He will develop over the coming seasons and will play his best footy in his mid to late 20s. With the xfactor we have coming next year, he won't have to do too much apart from defend well, kick well and set up our back line plays. Im hoping he can do these basics well and be our long term 7. Would be nice to thank the rorters for him if we are patient and he comes good !

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Averillos got speed and only 20. He threw Averillo in the deep end playing halfback

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hes got so much to prove hes only redemption is the chip and chase from half way regardless of the media

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he at least learns how to kick, all of our kickers are pretty shocking at kicking out of danger but Kyle is definately the worst of them absolutely no distance in those legs, and the opposition would start their sets around halfway too many times.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dislike Flannagan because of his attitude. It speaks volumes that usually all he does is cry to the media about how he's been mistreated and then goes and performs pathetically in the reserves as well.

However i hope he takes his chances this time around. It's pretty embarrassing to be dropped from a team running dead last and without and established half.