News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Don't listen to the Haters boys it's called earphones music and ignorance

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Some of theses fellas cop more harassment than Lucifer maybe we should get him here to support the Dogs

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Surely Burtons been promised the #6 jersey but fuck me I think Avo would be a devastating #14. He’d come on and wreak havoc in attack. We need X FACTOR

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be more than happy to jump on the Avo hype train if he could defend.... but he cant.
Hopefully he developes that part of the game because teams are gonna exploit that weakness regardless of where you put him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not doubting him and I have said he 's probably the better half at this stage, but he's defenitely overhyped when there's posters talking about us finishing top 4 with him and acting like he's the finished product when he barely has a couple a games to his name.
We're not making the 4 this season with or without him. Next year is a different story if we recruit well again and the team performs well this season and gets around the top 8.

He's not the finished product at all and will have bad games like any player, but he's ready to make an impact more than most young halves. . What impresses me about him though is that every time he's had an opportunity in the NRL, even in the games he played off the bench, he hasn't looked fazed at all. He's heavily involved, is ready physically and mentally and he's an extremely confident and competitive player. I just think he's a natural footballer who has the ability to prove to be the best signing we've made in a long time.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck penrith and Cleary we need to come in hard on critchon and drive his price up
So we get burton who’s on 220k and we foot napa at 650k no thanks
As for avo he has talent don’t think he can play in the spine yet we have him signed for a few years

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck penrith and Cleary we need to come in hard on critchon and drive his price up
So we get burton who’s on 220k and we foot napa at 650k no thanks
As for avo he has talent don’t think he can play in the spine yet we have him signed for a few years
Won't work. He's committed now and you'd run the risk of actually having to pay him like $800k.

Just offer us Ogden with one of the halves you don't want with a little cap thrown in and you'd likely get what you want.(Idea from Panthers forum which seems reasonable.)

Reactions: mez

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not making the 4 this season with or without him. Next year is a different story if we recruit well again and the team performs well this season and gets around the top 8.

He's not the finished product at all and will have bad games like any player, but he's ready to make an impact more than most young halves. . What impresses me about him though is that every time he's had an opportunity in the NRL, even in the games he played off the bench, he hasn't looked fazed at all. He's heavily involved, is ready physically and mentally and he's an extremely confident and competitive player. I just think he's a natural footballer who has the ability to prove to be the best signing we've made in a long time.
Yep well said!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Won't work. He's committed now and you'd run the risk of actually having to pay him like $800k.

Just offer us Ogden with one of the halves you don't want with a little cap thrown in and you'd likely get what you want.(Idea from Panthers forum which seems reasonable.)
Ogden, a half and some Cap thrown in? Your constant remarks that you guys are a given for top 4 this year. Geez your lot have become arrogant.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ogden, a half and some Cap thrown in? Your constant remarks that you guys are a given for top 4 this year. Geez your lot have become arrogant.
The expectation should be top 4 after last year. You'd do the same.

Hey I'm happy to keep Burto just making suggestions since you'll need to offer something fairly one sided but hopefully you can find something that doesn't hurt too bad.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yes the expectation should always be Top 4 however I already resisted a few times when you were defending Burton staying at the Panthers as better development option. Several times you said almost in past tense that we will be preparing for a top 4 run, finals footy, possible GF etc etc. It's never a given.

Cleary Snr has to stand on his own two feet this year so it will be very interesting to see how he goes and tbh him messing around with the teams morale by playing the spite card will most likely backfire if he keeps it up. Your club doesn't need this avoidable distraction. The whole footy world including some Panthers fans know Ivan is being a dick by asking ridiculous deals.

Now your forum says that they think a Prop, a half and some cap $$$ is fair for a player you guys don't even consider a top 17 player in your own team? "But we value him as a person?"

Napa with us covering maybe 100k would be more than fair if not very one sided for you guys.

Your lot should do what is right and decent for the kid. RL has always had an understanding of not getting in a kids way. If you can use him great, but if he's surplus (which he is) then let him move on and stops being dicks.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The expectation should be top 4 after last year. You'd do the same.

Hey I'm happy to keep Burto just making suggestions since you'll need to offer something fairly one sided but hopefully you can find something that doesn't hurt too bad.
Do you Think Tyrone May is sufficient cover for Cleary and Luai? I would say he is.. I think Burton is genuinely surplus to requirements. Not that he shouldn’t still honour his contract in a perfect world but the likelihood is his development will be hampered this year not playing first grade.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes the expectation should always be Top 4 however I already resisted a few times when you were defending Burton staying at the Panthers as better development option. Several times you said almost in past tense that we will be preparing for a top 4 run, finals footy, possible GF etc etc. It's never a given.

Cleary Snr has to stand on his own two feet this year so it will be very interesting to see how he goes and tbh him messing around with the teams morale by playing the spite card will most likely backfire if he keeps it up. Your club doesn't need this avoidable distraction. The whole footy world including some Panthers fans know Ivan is being a dick by asking ridiculous deals.

Now your forum says that they think a Prop, a half and some cap $$$ is fair for a player you guys don't even consider a top 17 player in your own team? "But we value him as a person?"

Napa with us covering maybe 100k would be more than fair if not very one sided for you guys.

Your lot should do what is right and decent for the kid. RL has always had an understanding of not getting in a kids way. If you can use him great, but if he's surplus (which he is) then let him move on and stops being dicks.
I didn't say it was better I said if you don't get him it's not a bad second choice for his development to be at a club that values development of young players and should be fighting for top 4 and another gf. Nothing saying we will get there but the attitude around training and prep should be that including Burton preparing as if he'll play half in big games for us this year because an injury to Luai/Cleary and he'll have to.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do you Think Tyrone May is sufficient cover for Cleary and Luai? I would say he is.. I think Burton is genuinely surplus to requirements. Not that he shouldn’t still honour his contract in a perfect world but the likelihood is his development will be hampered this year not playing first grade.
May's versatility hurts him. If we need to go into finals with halves cover for example it'd more likely be Burton so May can shift around the field as necessary.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
May's versatility hurts him. If we need to go into finals with halves cover for example it'd more likely be Burton so May can shift around the field as necessary.
Do you think that would depend on game time though? If May is on the bench as a utility each week and Burton played 3 games max - similar to last year would you still throw him in the pressure cooker at finals time? Common sense you would go with experience which May has over him.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Do you think that would depend on game time though? If May is on the bench as a utility each week and Burton played 3 games max - similar to last year would you still throw him in the pressure cooker at finals time? Common sense you would go with experience which May has over him.
I suspect with how we are sitting on Burton over anyone else there's a plan for him. No other player has had this happen regardless of the club they are leaving us for.