News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I also think there is a massive difference in the personalities of Burton to Klemmer and CHN (not so much Hannant, who was one of the first 'homesick' releases). Penrith are probably satisfied that he won't cause trouble around the group if he is not released. Klemmer and CHN would have been absolute cancer.
They're also on a substantial amount of money compared to Burton and that makes it easier to enter the market and find a replacement. A replacement for Burton is literally just promoting a kid into their 30.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But we've never gotten compensation. Not for Hannant or Klemmer or CHN or anyone else.
That's through poor management by our club & not being strong in our negotiations. Do you see Melb folding if it doesn't suit them?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give the bloke a break. His first season in first grade playing for a rubbish team with a rubbish coach that would struggle to run a bath.
I'm giving the bloke a break by NOT HYPING him up over a hand full of games he played in with what you call a rubbish team with a rubbish coach. As I said let's see how he preforms this year before we over hype him and place unrealistic expectations on his shoulders.

Last edited:

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
I know if the shoe was on the other foot I wouldn't want the Dogs to release him without some significant compensation!!
We have released starters on big money who we have had to pay and recieved nothing in the past.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
One thing's for sure, any young bloke at the Panthers (unless for great money) won't be signing any deal lasting more than 1 or 2 years from now on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have released starters on big money who we have had to pay and recieved nothing in the past.
You can disclude the players we had to shed due to Dib and Castle F'ing up our salary cap (Woods, Mbye, etc). We couldn't actually take much in return as our salary cap was beyond F'd. It isn't the same. I'm not sure what other players you're referring to in regards to paying them to play elsewhere. There are players like CHN and Reimis who we're not paying anything to play at their new respective clubs, but since they were contracted we should of got something in return, a trade.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The thing I think is one thing this does do is any talented kids will be cautious with the panthers. While within their right and understand the process ultimately its proven they are being insanely salty with it all. Napa on 650k paid for? Lol.

If you were a kid this would be something noted with them as ultimately burton is the one losing couple hundred thousand.

If brandy was so concerned as halfback depth they would ask for Lewis or wakeham and probably get it despite no doubt being double the pay burton is on. Lewis is Fucking triple...
They already have more halves than both of the Cleary's have brain cells....between them.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
as much as i would love Burton to come across this year, we have no right to him. He is contracted to Penrith and he should honour his contract.
As Brandy stated this morning, if Cleary goes down he is their only halfback. Luai is a 6 same as May.
We really have no right in this matter IMO.
Funny how Brandy conveniently forgot to mention the Panthers signing of former Eels half Salmon.

The great thing out of all of this is that Matt is still turning up with the right attitude.

Not only are we getting a great young player, it sounds like we are getting a great human being. We need those.

Well done Matty.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Funny how Brandy conveniently forgot to mention the Panthers signing of former Eels half Salmon.

The great thing out of all of this is that Matt is still turning up with the right attitude.

Not only are we getting a great young player, it sounds like we are getting a great human being. We need those.

Well done Matty.
Absolutely. He could easily force his way out if he was as vocal and as much of a diva as other players who force their way out by being a massive headache or distraction.. But he's doing the right thing by keeping his head down staying quiet and hoping it sorts itself out between his management and the two clubs.

As you said it speaks volumes to the character of Burton and it bodes well for his future with us the next time he wants a new contract or increase in salary etc...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He needs to back off himself and remind us just how he " stayed on the bus" at the Tigers.... and Brandy needs to give himself an uppercut...

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yep, good player and all, but I still can’t for the life of work out why we signed Allen, unless we shafting Hoppa after this year, and he moves to Centre and Avo moves to fullback. Otherwise it’s a dumb signing.
I like the signing of Allan, he's solid, athletic, big
I think he balances our team out
I prefer Allan at fullback
I'd like to see Averillo at 6 and Burton play a ball playing lock role.
Alternatively, I could see Burton at 6 and Averillo at 14.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How many threads do we need that are basically discussing the same subject?. We can speculate all we want... if he come to us great.... if he doesn't, contrary to what a few may think I think he'll get a fair crack in FG this year. Why else would Penrith want to retain him. He's a quality player with little experience in the big show. If he is in better form than players in front of him he'll play and that player will have to force him out of the FG team. That's how it works. Every club wants to put their best team on the park every week period. It's only for external reasons like discipline, illness or personal reasons that this isn't the case. Everyone just relax. let's have a solid 2021 and hope Avo turns into a FG player because at the moment as much as a few of you rate him I reckon he'd struggle to make most first grade teams with the exception of cellar dwellers.
go dogs

Malla

Reaction score
I'm giving the bloke a break by NOT HYPING him up over a hand full of games he played in with what you call a rubbish team with a rubbish coach. As I said let's see how he preforms this year before we over hype him and place unrealistic expectations on his shoulders.
Huge ok

Gawd_Dawg_BB

Banned
Reaction score
How many threads do we need that are basically discussing the same subject?. We can speculate all we want... if he come to us great.... if he doesn't, contrary to what a few may think I think he'll get a fair crack in FG this year. Why else would Penrith want to retain him. He's a quality player with little experience in the big show. If he is in better form than players in front of him he'll play and that player will have to force him out of the FG team. That's how it works. Every club wants to put their best team on the park every week period. It's only for external reasons like discipline, illness or personal reasons that this isn't the case. Everyone just relax. let's have a solid 2021 and hope Avo turns into a FG player because at the moment as much as a few of you rate him I reckon he'd struggle to make most first grade teams with the exception of cellar dwellers.
go dogs
Time to clean the kennel delete all threads and start fresh ? Lmao