News NRL 2021: 10 massive predictions for upcoming season

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2021 season is upon us - and what a season it is shaping up to be.
Bulldogs and Tigers signing sprees won’t pay dividends (yet) as both sides make bottom four
There has been plenty of talk around the recruitment of both the Bulldogs and Tigers - but there still isn't enough there to see them making the finals.

Canterbury have picked up Kyle Flanagan, Jack Hetherington, Nick Cotric and Corey Allan. All four of them are solid players, but they are not match-winners and that's exactly what the club have been lacking.

Kieran Foran is a huge loss - when he was on the field, he was the Bulldogs' best player. Flanagan struggled to perform alongside Luke Keary at the Roosters - how is he going to step up alongside a rookie in Jake Averillo?

Their forward pack has not been their main issue in recent years, and they always compete hard. Trent Barrett will improve their attack, but it could be another 12-18 months before we see the benefits of their signings.

As for the Tigers - they have certainly strengthened up their middle. James Tamou, Joe Ofahengaue and Stefano Utoikamanu are all going to make a huge difference for them.

Unfortunately, it is their spine that is going to let them down and see them struggle. Luke Brooks needs a career year - 2018 he was the best halfback in the comp, and he needs to regain that form.

Daine Laurie (fullback) and Jacob Liddle (hooker) are both very inexperienced, while Adam Doueihi has struggled to nail down a position during the early stages of his career.

Their centre pairing of Joey Leilua and James Roberts could be the best in the comp, or it could be one of the worst. Real rocks or diamonds scenario there at Concord.

While the recruitment for both clubs has been really good, neither of them are making the finals this year, and the benefits of those signings won't be seen until at least 2022.

After all the disruptions that 2020 threw at the game and its fans with COVID-19, the slate has been wiped clean and there is much to be excited about.

Wayne Bennett is looking to ride out a winner with the Rabbitohs, as they look to break their preliminary finals curse and get through to the first Sunday of October.

Gold Coast are welcoming two of the brightest young talents in the NRL and will want to make a return to the finals, while the Tigers and Bulldogs have also picked up some big names.

St George Illawarra and Brisbane will be looking to turn around their poor 2020 seasons with new coaches - but do they have the talent to do it?
After some lean seasons, the only two remaining sides in the NRL not to win a premiership will both need big years in 2021.

For the Titans, the signings of David Fifita and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui are going to see their forward pack improve massively on last season. Herman Ese'ese is also an astute buy.

But what is most important for Justin Holbrook's side is the halves combination of Jamal Fogarty and Ash Taylor. If they can produce the form they did in the second-half of last year, the Titans are in for a big one.

Patrick Herbert and Brian Kelly is a solid pairing, while AJ Brimson at the back will give them the spark and class they need to score plenty of points and compete with the top dogs.

For the Warriors, there is a heap of pressure on new coach Nathan Brown to get this side to perform. New faces Addin Fonua-Blake, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Bayley Sironen and Euan Aitken are all fantastic buys.

Fonua-Blake is one of the best front-rowers in the competition, and he wanted this change after requesting a release from Manly. He needs to stand up and lead the Warriors, and there's no reason why he won't.

Their back three is close to the best in the NRL. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, David Fusitu'a and Ken Maumalo all do plenty of work out of their own end, and all know how to find the try line.

Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi Nikorima both had strong seasons in 2020, but they will need to step up another level in 2021.

Both of these sides should be making finals with the rosters they have, and we're predicting them to get it done.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scary thing is - if I had to put my house on this Bullfogs team prediction, I probably would.

Comes after a lot of scar tissue built over the last 5 years

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about this beauty from last pre-season:

JOHN DEAN, foxsports.com.au

Dally M rookie of the year guides Dogs into finals

Canterbury discovered the formula to knocking off a number of competition heavies in the back end of the 2019 season so they now know what it takes to jag tough wins.

Yes, Kieran Foran is a cruel blow for the club, but they’ve had all pre-season to adapt to having their star playmaker on the sidelines.

Despite only having three NRL games under his belt, Brandon Wakeham has a huge breakout season in the halves and takes out the Dally M rookie of the year award.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We won't be bottom 4.

I agree the Tigers will be though.

Kevin Walters has a terrible club coaching record in ESL, wouldn't be suprised to see the Broncos near the bottom again as well as St George.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we have massive injuries to our spine players there is no way we'll finish bottom 4. Worst case scenario we'll finish 10th or so but with a bit of luck, or Burton, we'll make the 8.

The Tigers prediction though is spot on. I don't know why my Tigers mates are so excited about this season....delusional c***s think they're going to make the 8 even with that horrible spine :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unless we have massive injuries to our spine players there is no way we'll finish bottom 4. Worst case scenario we'll finish 10th or so but with a bit of luck, or Burton, we'll make the 8.

The Tigers prediction though is spot on. I don't know why my Tigers mates are so excited about this season....delusional c***s think they're going to make the 8 even with that horrible spine :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Laurie - Allan
Doueihi - Averillo
Brooks - Flanagan
Liddle - JMK

Not much difference tbh. Laurie and Doueihi have potential (Doueihi's first season at five-eighth) and I can say the same about Liddle (who is better than JMK imo) but he's been injured more than Foran, they also have Jake Simpkin who was the next best hooker after Grant in QLD. Brooks looks like a dud but does have some ability and Flanagan's a work in progress. Both spines have potential (bar 1 player) imo.

I think it's pretty hard to say worse case scenario for us is 10th... we're looking at 11-12th which would be a good season. That would mean worst case is somewhere below that (bottom 4).

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 2021 season is upon us - and what a season it is shaping up to be.
Bulldogs and Tigers signing sprees won’t pay dividends (yet) as both sides make bottom four
There has been plenty of talk around the recruitment of both the Bulldogs and Tigers - but there still isn't enough there to see them making the finals.

Canterbury have picked up Kyle Flanagan, Jack Hetherington, Nick Cotric and Corey Allan. All four of them are solid players, but they are not match-winners and that's exactly what the club have been lacking.

Kieran Foran is a huge loss - when he was on the field, he was the Bulldogs' best player. Flanagan struggled to perform alongside Luke Keary at the Roosters - how is he going to step up alongside a rookie in Jake Averillo?

Their forward pack has not been their main issue in recent years, and they always compete hard. Trent Barrett will improve their attack, but it could be another 12-18 months before we see the benefits of their signings.

As for the Tigers - they have certainly strengthened up their middle. James Tamou, Joe Ofahengaue and Stefano Utoikamanu are all going to make a huge difference for them.

Unfortunately, it is their spine that is going to let them down and see them struggle. Luke Brooks needs a career year - 2018 he was the best halfback in the comp, and he needs to regain that form.

Daine Laurie (fullback) and Jacob Liddle (hooker) are both very inexperienced, while Adam Doueihi has struggled to nail down a position during the early stages of his career.

Their centre pairing of Joey Leilua and James Roberts could be the best in the comp, or it could be one of the worst. Real rocks or diamonds scenario there at Concord.

While the recruitment for both clubs has been really good, neither of them are making the finals this year, and the benefits of those signings won't be seen until at least 2022.

After all the disruptions that 2020 threw at the game and its fans with COVID-19, the slate has been wiped clean and there is much to be excited about.

Wayne Bennett is looking to ride out a winner with the Rabbitohs, as they look to break their preliminary finals curse and get through to the first Sunday of October.

Gold Coast are welcoming two of the brightest young talents in the NRL and will want to make a return to the finals, while the Tigers and Bulldogs have also picked up some big names.

St George Illawarra and Brisbane will be looking to turn around their poor 2020 seasons with new coaches - but do they have the talent to do it?
After some lean seasons, the only two remaining sides in the NRL not to win a premiership will both need big years in 2021.

For the Titans, the signings of David Fifita and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui are going to see their forward pack improve massively on last season. Herman Ese'ese is also an astute buy.

But what is most important for Justin Holbrook's side is the halves combination of Jamal Fogarty and Ash Taylor. If they can produce the form they did in the second-half of last year, the Titans are in for a big one.

Patrick Herbert and Brian Kelly is a solid pairing, while AJ Brimson at the back will give them the spark and class they need to score plenty of points and compete with the top dogs.

For the Warriors, there is a heap of pressure on new coach Nathan Brown to get this side to perform. New faces Addin Fonua-Blake, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Bayley Sironen and Euan Aitken are all fantastic buys.

Fonua-Blake is one of the best front-rowers in the competition, and he wanted this change after requesting a release from Manly. He needs to stand up and lead the Warriors, and there's no reason why he won't.

Their back three is close to the best in the NRL. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, David Fusitu'a and Ken Maumalo all do plenty of work out of their own end, and all know how to find the try line.

Chanel Harris-Tavita and Kodi Nikorima both had strong seasons in 2020, but they will need to step up another level in 2021.

Both of these sides should be making finals with the rosters they have, and we're predicting them to get it done.
I hope TBaz and the players have read this rubbish !!!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laurie - Allan
Doueihi - Averillo
Brooks - Flanagan
Liddle - JMK

Not much difference tbh. Laurie and Doueihi have potential (Doueihi's first season at five-eighth) and I can say the same about Liddle (who is better than JMK imo) but he's been injured more than Foran, they also have Jake Simpkin who was the next best hooker after Grant in QLD. Brooks looks like a dud but does have some ability and Flanagan's a work in progress. Both spines have potential (bar 1 player) imo.

I think it's pretty hard to say worse case scenario for us is 10th... we're looking at 11-12th which would be a good season. That would mean worst case is somewhere below that (bottom 4).
Yeah I think we have them beat in 3 out of the 4 spine positions. I think Liddle is better than JMK and I don't rate Liddle at all. Overall in terms of fitness and attack we'll be better than them. I think Baz shits all over Madge as a coach so I see the Tigers slipping from their usual 9th position into the bottom 4

It's very easy for me to say worst case we'll finish 10th...it's called being optimistic. :laughing: Since 2017 I've gone into every season expecting for us to be wooden spooners. Now it looks like we can make the 8. How friggin good.

In our first game with new players and combinations we competed well against a near full strength Sharks side, who made the 8 last year, so early signs are looking good for a top 8 spot. C'mon Bradyk, forget the stats for once and dare to dream

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has to be a better year than the last one and optimism is good, however our first 5 games are :
Knights(W),Panthers(L unfortunately),Broncos(W),Souths(L),Storm(L) then we play the Cowboys up in TSV and really we should be able to beat them with our improved fitness.
Will know how we're tracking by this stage for the finals(at least 3-3 would be a good solid start), to me that's a fair stretch although Burto would be a big help obviously.At 3-3 we would need to win 11 of our last 19 to make the 8?

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
3-3 after six rounds would be outstanding, however I’d be happy to see improvement in all areas week to week as priority 1 and being less concerned on win/loss record. If we do improve, results will look after itself.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
While Brooks leads the tigers they will struggle to make the 8.