News NRL 2020: Who is the NRL’s highest paid coach?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL
NRL 2020: Who is the NRL’s highest paid coach?

Coaching in the NRL is a cutthroat business but, for the very best, it can be a very lucrative occupation — even for those having a bludger of a season. CHECK OUT THE BIG EARNERS

Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph

Anthony Seibold is having a bludger of a season at the Brisbane Broncos.
Yet he is on a wage that is $300,000 more than Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s $549,250 salary.

In fact, there are a dozen NRL coaches earning more than the PM.
Plus they get bonuses for making the finals and winning premierships.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained the salary estimates from an NRL study that was recently set-up as part of cost reduction planning for the future.

These salaries are one of the biggest issues facing the NRL administration moving forward.
We learnt during the COVID-19 shutdown that most clubs have unsustainable cost structures and have to slash spending.
That there needs to be a cap on football department expenditure from the head coach to his assistants, physios, doctors, dietitians and sports science experts.

Craig Bellamy is far and away the highest paid coach in the competition.
We are told Bellyache is earning around the $1.4 million mark. That he may even have third parties on top if that.

Storm’s rich owners were forced to bump up his salary when the Broncos tried to pinch him to replace Wayne Bennett during the 2018 season.
Storm matched the offer and the Broncos had to settle on Seibiold.

No one can begrudge Bellamy being on the big bucks.
Apart from the salary cap scandal season of 2010, the club has never missed the finals under his watch. They haven’t finished lower than sixth in his 17 years at the club.

Yet should he really be on four times more than a rival coach?
You look at the work John Morris is doing at Cronulla.
He took on the job at a time when the Sharks were cash-strapped and had to accept only $350,000. As a rookie he had no bargaining power.
Morris not only steered the Sharks into the finals last year but has them on track again this season.

He has overcome enormous pressure of having his job scrutinised and credentials questioned when the Shark
Whatever they are getting paid it is a tough gig.
No less than 17 coaches have been sacked in the last five years.
You look at their working conditions.

There’s no such thing as having a family weekend or even two days off.
Most would work a minimum 60 hour-week. s were struggling earlier in the season.

Some are awake half the night analysing video and planning for the next game.
Yet the clubs are facing huge financial challenges.
The 17 coach sackings have cost the game more than $12 million in payouts.

If the Broncos sack Seibold it will cost them $2.5 million.
The NRL has already slashed staffing numbers and will announce more job reductions at the end of the season.
Players won’t get the salary cap increase that was originally part of their collective bargaining agreement because the money just isn’t there.
At some stage, the coaches will need to take pay cuts across the board too.

COACH SALARY ESTIMATES
Craig Bellamy $1.4 million
Wayne Bennett $1.1 million
Ivan Cleary $1 million
Trent Robinson $900,000
Paul Green $900,000
Ricky Stuart $875,000
Anthony Seibold $850,000
Des Hasler $700,000
Brad Arthur $700,000
Paul McGregor $600,000
Justin Holbrook $575,000
Michael Maguire $575,000
Stephen Kearney $500,000
Adam O’Brien $400,000
Dean Pay $400,000
John Morris $350,000

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2020-who-is-the-nrls-highest-paid-coach/news-story/c854f5b0ceac2ca783ca0c1adbc04359

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No one can begrudge Bellamy being on the big bucks.
Apart from the salary cap scandal season of 2010, the club has never missed the finals under his watch. They haven’t finishedlower than sixth in his 17 years at the club.

Could have sworn they were stripped of a couple of titles and so it wasn’t just one season? Journalism lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s about right, Bellamy deserves his pay check .!!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Missing the finals once in 17 years deserves 10x more than coaches like Morris and Pay ffs

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How does Ivan Cleary get so much money with such below average results?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleary $1M?????????
Penrith are going great because of their roster (made up of gun juniros) and Barrett. WTF does Clearly have to do with that?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How the fuck did pay get 400k a year? wtf??? I wish I could be paid 400k for a job im not fit or skilled for and deliver nothing for years

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He did not get the million based off this years results champion
Other coaches can recruit players but cleary produces them with his nuts.

But yeah i think its overkill. Yes they offered him 5 years and a mil. i think that tigers wouldve been paying what they are paying Madge so they could have got him for 700 easy with the kid factor and length of the deal.

slight overs to compensate for the messy break up.

PS. One thang the list doesnt portray is exit conditions.

Seibs gets a full payout of his money if he is sacked, but others might only get fiddy percent. Thats a huge difference.
the coach on a long term full payout deal at 500 is more dangerous to a club than 600 with soft exit clauses.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How the fuck did pay get 400k a year? wtf??? I wish I could be paid 400k for a job im not fit or skilled for and deliver nothing for years
Exactly. Pay should started and remained on minimum wage 50k. He was an unproven first time NRL coach. How does he get 400K for the job he was doing ?? I'm in the wrong business obviously.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trent Robinson I thought be on the million mark
Uncle nick side deals
House in Bondi
2020 merc Amg
Ect.....
Same with sonny bill, 150k my ass. Apartment and car waiting for him