NRL 2018: Canterbury Bulldogs deny bombshell Kieran Foran report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s a stupid rule all the NRL have to do is say that if you retire and get the contract money but you can’t play again until that contract had run out.
That makes too much sense for the NRL to adopt.

Boldslug

Waterboy
Reaction score
What I find disturbing with this story is someone at NRL HQ must be leaking info. It sounds like a board member made a discreet enquiry about the process, and somehow it ends up in the media's hands.....

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pre existing injuries for Foran so we are stuck with him Better get used to an old man playing half for the next 2 and a half years

Maybe we can use some of Mybe's salary to purchase him a motoritsed scooter to get around the field on?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just get him to "retire" like Peter Wallace and give him another role in the club, running water during games, training the kids to run the tee to the kicker, other clubs make up bullshit roles, I'm sure we can.
What makes you think hed want to stay with us. Hes been a mercenary. 4 clubs in 4 years. Hes loyal to them all? Right!!! Agree shes a prime candidate for medical retirement. Its almost as if the whole medical retirement thing was hatched to provide an exit for players like him at the end of his career who are keen but just too busted. In professional sports a player with his symptoms should never of been signed to a new multi million dollar 3 year deal. He been needled before every game. Personality Foran and Hasler got in the way of sound business decisions.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the NRL would find a way to stop it from happening. It could be easily argued that Foran should still be under the cap as a player as he was signed as a player and we are only doing this to make cap space which is unfair.
Bullshit. Hes signed to be a player. He cant play. Any number of Drs could examine him and confirm hes held together with sticky tape...so he is medically unfit to continue so can be retired. His shoulder is stuffed - permanent ligament damage, his hamstrings are a tangled mess, he has a bulging disk in his back. He said so himself he walks around like an 80 year old in the morning. I dont know many 80 year olds playing NRL!!!!. Foran can and should be medically retired by June 30!!!

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bullshit. Hes signed to be a player. He cant play. Any number of Drs could examine him and confirm hes held together with sticky tape...so he is medically unfit to continue so can be retired. His shoulder is stuffed - permanent ligament damage, his hamstrings are a tangled mess, he has a bulging disk in his back. He said so himself he walks around like an 80 year old in the morning. I dont know many 80 year olds playing NRL!!!!. Foran can and should be medically retired by June 30!!!
I agree mate. My answer was in regard to the club asking him to retire and take on a coaching. Not medically retire.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has over 2 years to go,it’s a long time
I wonder if Foran will ever get back to his old form,wouldn’t that be great.
I’ve seen bits and pieces of good play.
Some little half breaks when running the ball out wide.
It’s bit of a mystery,anybody with a crystal ball ?

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He has over 2 years to go,it’s a long time
I wonder if Foran will ever get back to his old form,wouldn’t that be great.
I’ve seen bits and pieces of good play.
Some little half breaks when running the ball out wide.
It’s bit of a mystery,anybody with a crystal ball ?
Mate we'd all love that but he is beyond repair. Has been for 5 years.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate we'd all love that but he is beyond repair. Has been for 5 years.
Your spot on buddy so what’s going to happen
On massive dollars for a long time
No team will take him
We can’t retire on medical grounds
Stick him in reserves chewing up salary cap $$$
Terrible situation for Pay and the club

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry I worded that wrong I meant it would count on the cap. Anything where he still gets the full amount of that registered contact with NRL will count on the cap except if he gets the medical retirement.
I'm not sure that is true. If a player elects to retire from footy then the club can't be held accountable for it. Look at Tonomapea? from Melbourne. He's off next month to do the Mormon thing. Pretty sure the Storm won't have his value withheld in the cap. They will be able to promote or buy another player and use that cap space to fund it. The issue with Watmough was collecting the insurance payout so he could medically retire and get the full freight, otherwise he would have to get it from the Eels and with all the criminal issues occurring there they didn't want to do it. If Foran just up and quits it might sting us this year but next year we should get the value back. Might be wrong but ....

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is true. If a player elects to retire from footy then the club can't be held accountable for it. Look at Tonomapea? from Melbourne. He's off next month to do the Mormon thing. Pretty sure the Storm won't have his value withheld in the cap. They will be able to promote or buy another player and use that cap space to fund it. The issue with Watmough was collecting the insurance payout so he could medically retire and get the full freight, otherwise he would have to get it from the Eels and with all the criminal issues occurring there they didn't want to do it. If Foran just up and quits it might sting us this year but next year we should get the value back. Might be wrong but ....
Tonomapea is the exception I’d think there wouldn’t be too many players willing to walk away empty handed. Even if Storm have to pay Tonomapea it wouldn’t be more then $200k at most you’d think so it’s not in the same ball park as Foran. If they are suggesting medical retirement then Foran must not be willing to walk away with no money.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tonomapea is the exception I’d think there wouldn’t be too many players willing to walk away empty handed. Even if Storm have to pay Tonomapea it wouldn’t be more then $200k at most you’d think so it’s not in the same ball park as Foran. If they are suggesting medical retirement then Foran must not be willing to walk away with no money.
That's the issue though. If Foran just retires because he can't play anymore we may have his contract value this year stuck in our cap but from next year it would be gone. Then it is up to the club and Foran to work something out. It's like when Barba got sacked by the Sharks. They didn't have to carry his salary the next year. They went out and recruited. So if Foran officially retires from footy then we are all good. If he wants his entire contract paid out due to medical issues then the insurance factor kicks in and with it pre existing conditions. That's the way I read it.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the issue though. If Foran just retires because he can't play anymore we may have his contract value this year stuck in our cap but from next year it would be gone. Then it is up to the club and Foran to work something out. It's like when Barba got sacked by the Sharks. They didn't have to carry his salary the next year. They went out and recruited. So if Foran officially retires from footy then we are all good. If he wants his entire contract paid out due to medical issues then the insurance factor kicks in and with it pre existing conditions. That's the way I read it.
It all seems very complicated
If he wants to play out his time with us and collect the dollars,the club will just have to cop it

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Sharks didn’t have to pay because Barba was sacked for testing positive to coke for a second time so the contract would have been terminated on behavioural grounds. Hill said Foran was back next weekend so it doesn’t look like he is keen to retire so that might be the biggest stumbling block. I can’t see it happening.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point in sugar coating things
He is in the box seat thx to our old coach and management
Digs his heels in then we are fucked,1 million biggies

What a shameful situation we are in

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Looking forwards to seeing what he can do when we get Lewis into first grade alongside him.

He'll look wayyy better.

Hopefully we can promote Bergamin and Lewis and use the spine of:
1. Bergamin
6. Lewis
7. Lewis
9. JMK/Woolford

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I really don't buy into or believe in this "pre-existing" crap to get medically retired. There would not be any player in the NRL over the age of 25 without something broken. The only thing the NRL need to watch out for is healthy players trying to finish and get paid out. Any player who can not continue to play due to medical reasons caused in the act of playing footy would be covered providing that they are checked and proven through the NRL sanctioned doctors. That's what insurance is for, they just need to be checked and deemed unable to play. Foran would be a prime example of why they have medical retirement.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
His career is finished for sure. Should try Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.