News Novel way Trent Barrett kicked off new Canterbury Bulldogs era

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't Barrett a 'Dogs fan growing up? It'd make a lot of sense if he was as he would've been following the 'Dogs up until he started playing for St George

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wasn't Barrett a 'Dogs fan growing up? It'd make a lot of sense if he was as he would've been following the 'Dogs up until he started playing for St George
Yup, and Baa his favorite player.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ve scrolled through 3 pages of positive commentary (and I’m certainly on that bandwagon), I think Trent is a step in the right direction and will improve the clubs standing, but for the love of football, if we get off to a poor start or lose our first three games, can we all just remember this is realistically the first year of a proper rebuild (i.e. we actually recruited talent and did so wisely) so we need to be mature enough to give the bloke a chance.

I maintain that despite our positive recruitment drive, we are still short a few quality players from playing in the same sandpit of the elite.

In the meantime, enjoying his thought process, energy and work ethic which is sure to be infectious throughout the club!

Last edited:

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Imagine if Reynolds and haz played together in their prime? Reynolds crabs across field hazem crabs to the other side
The other nrl clubs wouldnt know what hit them
That would be the purest form of the X play in the history of rugby league

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tbaz just keeps impressing this is where all that Bulldogs DNA stuff is bullshit. Just look at how quickly that someone from outside the club can buy into what the club is all about.
Helps that he supported the bulldogs as a kid and idolised Terry Lamb.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
TBaz is really going to reinstall the privilege it is to be selected to pull on this great blue and white jersey again. As it is a privilege. And current or future players will be made well aware of this and what it takes to represent this mighty club.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trent knows he needs to succeed in his tenure at the club to keep any hope of being a first grade coach in the NRL. Trent being a Bulldogs fan growing up, may also add some extra motivation for success too. I hope the success comes, for his sake, the clubs sake, the players sake and most of all, us fans sake. Feeling very optimistic with the new direction the club has taken of late.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will give his players a detailed history lesson into the club’s halcyon days of the 1980s and 1990s, declaring: “It would be nice to get back to those days.”
Barrett officially started as Bulldogs head coach on Monday morning, his first task to show the 20-strong football staff a video of the club’s amazing success over the past 85 years.

And in another crash course, Canterbury players will watch the footage when they return next Monday from their off-season break. The club’s long-term past is glorious, their short-term history diabolical.

Canterbury has not won a premiership since 2004 and has only claimed two titles in the past 25 years. The Bulldogs have not reached the finals since 2016 and since that time the underachieving Dogs have won just 31 of 92 games.

Barrett will provide new hope and enthusiasm for Bulldogs fans who have endured 61 losses in the past 4 years.

“This is a club the local area should be really proud of and I know that they are.” Barrett said. “Our fans and members certainly deserve some success and we will have to work really hard to give that to them.

New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett on his first day in the job.
New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett on his first day in the job.
“This is a very proud and big club, one of the biggest clubs in Sydney. You probably don’t realise it until you look a little deeper about how big the area is and how big the club is and how much success we have had.

“It would be nice to get back to those days. We had a bit of a history lesson on the club today. We watched the success the club had through the 1980s and then the grand finals we made and won in the 1990s, then the same in 2004, then a couple of grand finals under Des Hasler.

“Canterbury has been a very successful club for a long time. The club has a hell of a lot of history. It is important the players and staff know that.

“The video started when the club was founded right through the Berries and the club’s eight premierships. The more the players know about the club’s history the better. You could use the video as a recruitment tool as well.”

Barrett was due to begin as coach next Monday but decided to kick off seven days early. While he arrives having just guided Penrith to a grand final as the attacking coach, he is aware lifting the 15th placed Bulldogs will be his greatest challenge.

Trent Barrett on his first day at Canterbury.
Trent Barrett on his first day at Canterbury.
“We have some work to do and the club is not happy where we finished this year. The goal is to get better. I think we have a talented squad,” he said.

“It’s a new season and our job is to get in there and improve the players and improve our performances.

“It’s a short pre-season. We only have a five-week block before Christmas so it is really important we don’t waste a session.

“The club did lose a lot of close games last season and there are areas we have identified as coaches where we need to get better.

“We will go in with an open mind and to coach the players the best we can and get them as fit as we can.

“There are some blokes that we don’t know a hell of a lot about given there was no Canterbury Cup this year which was difficult. We are hoping there might be a few surprises there and a few players that jump out of the ground. It was good to get all the staff together today. We will now spend the week planning and getting ready for next Monday when the boys come back.”

Kyle Flanagan will be at the Bulldogs in 2021.
Kyle Flanagan will be at the Bulldogs in 2021.
Canterbury has secured Kyle Flanagan, Nick Cotric, Jack Hetherington and Corey Waddell for next season while continuing to talk with Panthers half Matt Burton.

While he still has another year to run at Penrith, Canterbury is monitoring the future of Panthers and NSW centre Stephen Crichton. Blues and Penrith teammate Isaah Yeo is another player Barrett is closely watching.

Showing Pride in our club & Jersey...
Something Hasler never had all the six years at the club !

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've got 16 players off contract at the end of next season - Ogden and Renouf are the only 2 I'd lean toward signing at this stage. Half our squad is pretty much dead wood (not all bad players eg Hoppa, but not needed by us anymore unless they improve a lot), which still leaves us with a pretty average squad going into '21. It'll be a massive challenge for Baz to get that lesser half of the squad to make much better contributions than they ever have before. I wonder if any of them can actually prove themselves as NRL quality - I hope so, especially someone as a dummy half.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The haters of the Bulldogs and so called experts were doing their best to divert him away from our Club, even after he signed on with us! That is a good sign in itself! lol

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The haters of the Bulldogs and so called experts were doing their best to divert him away from our Club, even after he signed on with us! That is a good sign in itself! lol
We have too many enemies...
1 The National Rorts League...for not signing Souffs off.
2 The media especially News Ltd...for suing them for damages.
3 The opposition fans...who hated and envied us for our success then.
Nothing will change that !!!
Unity is STRENGTH !!!