North Coast Bulldogs : Laurie Daley Cup (18's) & Andrew Johns (16's) 2022

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Just an update for those interested.
Don't have any inside info, just from what I have seen and heard
North Coast Bulldogs had their first training session Yesterday with a very extended training squad up here on the Mid North Coast
Apparently they were told Phil Gould is a fan and wants to put more money into it so that's good for the area and the Bulldogs overall.
I guess (only what I know) with 3 boys from the 2021 18s NC Dogs named in Sydney SG Ball training squads (2 with Dogs, 1 with Tigers) and a couple from the Area named in HM's summer squads, and one signed on with the dogs till he finish's school its worth being in the area.
Newcastle still have their academy in the area as well, And I know a couple of real good 16 yr old's in 2022 are staying with the Newcastle Academy rather than the AJC NC Dogs (My youngest is 15 in 2022 but plays up / goes to school with them / against them in club footy).

There's been some Covid isolations (Esp at Kempsey) with schools closed and need to be double Vac'd till mid Dec so some of the boys couldn't make it, and the train squad is massive, I think as were unable to trial and also Group 3 (Not sure about Groups 2) semis being cancelled in 2021 due to Covid, was hard to trim the squad at the start, so will be some pretty big cuts in a few weeks.
I guess a big squad may also be a back up if boys are lost to Isolation so a team can still put a team on the paddock if 4 or 5 from an area are stuck at home on game day.
Anyway will keep updating as I hear anything.

Last edited:

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
NC Bulldogs AJC and LDC had their second trial today at Coffs. (22/01/2022)
Both teams are now down to the top 25 playing squad, with 18 to be picked each game.
Gus made the trip up with Luke Goodwin.
They played the Northern River Titans.
First trial was against the CC Roosters a few weeks ago.
Both Trails went the same way the AJC NC Dogs went down and the LDC U18s NC Dogs got up.

Footage is from the AJC game today (u16's), I haven't seen anything that shows the 18s

Last edited:

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have the squads been posted online anywhere or only in house?

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Have the squads been posted online anywhere or only in house?
Not sure if its been posted anywhere, but from a previous local news article the 25 playing squad for each are as below.
Sorry don't have the clubs / towns they are from, but its Group 2 and Group 3 (Basically Woolgoolga to Forster, East Coast NSW)
They pick the top 18 on Tuesday pm (17 plus a concussion spare) for the first game against Northern Rivers Tigers at Wauchope on Sat 5th Feb.
From the remainder, they can still be picked for the next game and still train, just depends on how the first 18 go, who they are playing and there's already a couple hurt and I assume Covid will take a couple out each game.

Andrew Johns Cup squad U16's: Jack Davey, Caleb Rhodes, Sam Watts, Harrison Nevins, Jett Gilbert, Riley Bugden, Ethan Clarke, Luke Eather, James Wright, Liam Cuffe, Tana Hona, Lleyton Moore, Seth Tolhurst, Zailen Campbell-Cook, Colbi Hunt, Jay Crismale, Brayden Laing, Cooper Holt, Will Rosenbaum, Lachlan Smith, Logan Lacey, Jack Alchin, Patrick Carey, Clay Atkin, Kaleb Jones-Moore, Peter Woods (coach).

Laurie Daley Cup squad U18's: Bill Butlin, Blair Hamilton, Christopher Bull, Dean Jones, Finnian Walsh, Hamish Wilson, Harry Brennan, Hudson Harmer, Jack Margetts, Jedd Pratt, Joshua Power, Lachlan Mifsud, Lachlan Pensini, Lester Andrews, Luke Calthorpe, Luke Hayes, Oscar Holt, Oscar Williams, Will Batten, Xavier james Davidson-Fox, Connor Latham, Mhalikai Mercy, Josh Clark, Shane Davis-Caldwell, Tay Cochrane, Matthew Freebairn (coach), Ty-Jesse Brabant (club captain).

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if its been posted anywhere, but from a previous local news article the 25 playing squad for each are as below.
Sorry don't have the clubs / towns they are from, but its Group 2 and Group 3 (Basically Woolgoolga to Forster, East Coast NSW)
They pick the top 18 on Tuesday pm (17 plus a concussion spare) for the first game against Northern Rivers Tigers at Wauchope on Sat 5th Feb.
From the remainder, they can still be picked for the next game and still train, just depends on how the first 18 go, who they are playing and there's already a couple hurt and I assume Covid will take a couple out each game.

Andrew Johns Cup squad U16's: Jack Davey, Caleb Rhodes, Sam Watts, Harrison Nevins, Jett Gilbert, Riley Bugden, Ethan Clarke, Luke Eather, James Wright, Liam Cuffe, Tana Hona, Lleyton Moore, Seth Tolhurst, Zailen Campbell-Cook, Colbi Hunt, Jay Crismale, Brayden Laing, Cooper Holt, Will Rosenbaum, Lachlan Smith, Logan Lacey, Jack Alchin, Patrick Carey, Clay Atkin, Kaleb Jones-Moore, Peter Woods (coach).

Laurie Daley Cup squad U18's: Bill Butlin, Blair Hamilton, Christopher Bull, Dean Jones, Finnian Walsh, Hamish Wilson, Harry Brennan, Hudson Harmer, Jack Margetts, Jedd Pratt, Joshua Power, Lachlan Mifsud, Lachlan Pensini, Lester Andrews, Luke Calthorpe, Luke Hayes, Oscar Holt, Oscar Williams, Will Batten, Xavier james Davidson-Fox, Connor Latham, Mhalikai Mercy, Josh Clark, Shane Davis-Caldwell, Tay Cochrane, Matthew Freebairn (coach), Ty-Jesse Brabant (club captain).
Couple of really handy players in the 18s

Reactions: ATT

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Couple of really handy players in the 18s
Yep, A little scrappy at times in the trials, but when they have there "likely" 13 on the field they look pretty good, when the final combos have a little time together hopefully will click to a pretty strong side.
Look good either side of ruck as well if the ball can get out there, both halves are pretty creative and both centres and backrowers are solid players (Well my guess for halves, backrowers and centres, will know on Tuesday... LOL)

The hooker and lock positions are abit wide open, with a few combinations been trialed. Will depend if they want defensive or ball playing players in those roles. May lack a little defensive ability tight around the ruck if they go for the ball players in the middle, but time will tell I guess.

There's a few to watch, hard to comment on any until the real games start and will be a couple of surprises I think,

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew Johns Squad for Round 1.
1. Lachlan Smith
2. Jay Crismale
3. Colbi Hunt
4. Will Rosenbaum
5. Brayden Laing
6. Logan Lacey
7. Ethan Tombs
8. Jack Davey captain
9. Jack Alchin captain
10. James Wright
11. Lleyton Moore
12. Sam Watts
13. Patrick Carey.
14. Kayden Jones Moore
15. Liam Cuffe
16. Jett Gilbert
17. Caleb Rhodes
18. Clay Atkin
19. Ethan Clarke
20. Tana Hona

Will post Laurie Daley Cup side when I get it

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
The LDC (u18s) for Sats first game has been announced on

Not sure if there's a drama but ASSUME Chris Bull will be the centre not listed, he trained Ok on Sat, and he would be in the team.
Good work from all the boys, couple of little surprises but should be pretty strong.
Best of Luck to both AJC and LDC on Sat

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LDC (u18s) for Sats first game has been announced on

Not sure if there's a drama but ASSUME Chris Bull will be the centre not listed, he trained Ok on Sat, and he would be in the team.
Good work from all the boys, couple of little surprises but should be pretty strong.
Best of Luck to both AJC and LDC on Sat
Chris is a handy player just needs to keep a level head on him played strong last in last years comp and the 5/8 is another really good player can break the game wide open. the LDC have a strong side should do well

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Chris is a handy player just needs to keep a level head on him played strong last in last years comp and the 5/8 is another really good player can break the game wide open. the LDC have a strong side should do well
Agree, Think should be pretty strong, if they can utilise both sides of the ruck out wide will do well, will take some pressure off Chris's side as most teams will be expecting it to be the focus of attack with Nemo and Chris on that side and will be expecting good stuff from them.

The RHS side will go well anyway, (I am a bit biased though lol, I have to feed the back rower) the half can do enough and on the wing, Xavier is one to watch. normally a fullback / centre, great turn of speed, steps off both feet and strong fend.

Anyway will see how they go on Sat. proud of the efforts of the young men in the team.

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some familiar names there in Alchin and Bugden. Any relation to the doggies with the same surnames?

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Well first game done for the NC Bulldogs. (5th Feb 2022)
Both AJC and LDC games were against the Greater Northern Tigers at Wauchope on a very heavy field after 1 week of rain.
I guess any result is a good one for the Bulldogs with the Tigers being a Bulldogs feeder area as well.

The NC Dogs went down in AJC, Scored first but lost the momentum (Mainly in defence) in a scrappy game and lost 24-18.

In the LDC the score went back and forth multiple times with the game being won in last 3 minutes by the NC Dogs 32-28 after a change in possession strip turned defence to attack and next play an individual game breaker dummy and run from the Dogs (Shane Davis-Caldwell) ran straight thru for the winning Dogs try
Was a real first game of the season game with dropped ball, poor completion and silly penalties.
NC Dogs showed some good signs, plenty there in attack, but had some defensive lapses.

Both teams lost props due to injury in the lead up, and Tigers lost another 5 mins in. NC Dogs played with 12 for 10mins, after a sin bin (Shoulder charge or off ball play , couldn't tell).
Anyway plenty to work on I think for both teams

This Sat is against Northern Titans up at Murwillumbah, best of luck to all the boys involved.

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can watch some games on the nswrl Facebook page. LDC is on now. 15 to go in first half..

NC Bulldogs 18-6 over Titans.

Hemirob

Waterboy
Reaction score
Second game complete for the AJC and the LDC. Both teams went up North to Murwillumbah (12th Feb) to play the Northern Rivers Titans, and were met with some very variable weather. There were brief periods of heavy rain, light rain and bright sunshine. Very steamy on a heavy field,
But the field looked good and the Titans supporters and Murwillumbah Colts club were very welcoming of the NC Dogs players and supporters

The AJC boys got off to a flying start and put some points on and looked better, but the game became scrappy, mistakes and poor completions.
The NC Dogs started to miss a few tackles as the Titans started running a touch wider and with a NC Dogs disallowed try the Titans got back into the match. The bulldogs got away with a win in what ended up being a close one, 18 points to 14. So that's 1 win and 1 loss for the AJC NC Dogs. In patches showing potential but need some constancy.

Th LDC boys started badly with a knock on, but held the line and got some early points off kicks to be on top, looking good and leading at half time.
Second half different story with the Titans coming back hard and the NC Dogs dropping off to be a nail biter again at the finish. LDC NC Dogs got away with the win 30 to 36. The LDC seem to have a couple of periods were they drop off and lose intensity, and start making mistakes, giving penalties and losing awareness. Look pretty good at times. but cant leak 30 points a game and keep in the comp. That's 2 wins from 2 for LDC,

Both AJC and LDC have Newcastle and Maitland Knights at Cessnock this Sat (19th).
In LDC the Knights gave the Monaro Colts a 50 to 6 thrashing on Sat The next three games are tough (Knights, Dragons and Roosters) as all had massive wins on Sat and look like being the form teams.
But good luck to both teams, and the boys / young men involved and representing the Bulldogs

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NC Bulldogs LD cup boys are fun to watch. Been watching them give CC Roosters a hiding, leading 30-6 with 20 to go (if it's 70 mins long?) plenty of potential NRL plays in the team.