News Norfolk family reunited with missing cat after 13 years

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Norfolk family reunited with missing cat after 13 years
30 April 2021

FF504DEF-F53E-4F2C-AFD9-C08216447C1F.jpeg
A cat that went missing 13 years ago has been found and reunited with her owner.
Gemma Barbieri from Thetford, Norfolk, said she was "stunned" when she received a call saying 14-year-old Rose had been found.

The pet was an eighth birthday present for Ms Barbieri's daughter Alicia but went missing in 2008.
She was reported as a stray in the King's Lynn area this year and taken in by a cat charity.
Mr Barbieri said she "couldn't believe it" when Cats Protection's Downham Market Adoption Centre rang.

"I just blurted out 'have you found Rose?'," she said.
"They said a black cat brought in as a stray had been scanned and the microchip showed that she was missing.
"It was Rose. I was so stunned, I was shaking."

Ms Barbieri said Rose had gone missing a few months after her brother Tyler was hit by a car and died in June 2008.
Both cats had been adopted as kittens the year previously.

Ms Barbieri said the family, who used to live in King's Lynn, had put up posters and knocked on doors when Rose went missing, and registered her on the microchip database in the hope she would be found eventually.

Rose, named after Billie Piper's character in Doctor Who, was taken in by Cats Protection this year but her whereabouts for the last 13 years is not known.
Rose, named after Billie Piper's character in Doctor Who, was taken in by Cats Protection this year but her whereabouts for the last 13 years is not known.
Ms Barbieri said the black cat was a healthy weight and in good condition, and settled "almost immediately" when she brought her home.

"It was amazing, within an hour she'd eaten, used the litter tray, explored the whole house and was laying purring on her back while I stroked her belly," she said.
Rose has also been reunited by a video call with Alicia, now 21 and studying at university.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This is absolutely incredible. I personally can’t recall any form of pet being missing for such a length of time and being found alive

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That’s pretty amazing actually. I love good news stories. Imagine the shock and emotion when Rose came home

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How lovely.
Absolutely thread worthy.
Thank you @Horse for sharing such a touching story.
A victory for the social justice warriors!
It really is mate. I’ve lost a cat before, came back within 48 hours. Felt like 48 years. Can’t imagine how the 13 actual years of heartbreak that Ms Barbieri went through must’ve felt. Although I reckon the elation of being reunited with Rose would’ve more than made up for it.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im kinda thinking somone fed that cat for 13 years.
Cats will leave and go somewhere else if you stop feeding them.
I hope whoever was feeding the cat is ok

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cats getting home just in time for all the vet bills associated with older animals will start cropping up :anguished:

In all honesty it's pretty odd for an animal to be missing that long and be reunited with the original owner. Good news for them. But I'd assume it hasn't been on it's own for all those years given that it settled in and used the litter tray etc on the first night back.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My friend's cat went missing for 5 years. It came back a few days before they moved house.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My friend's cat went missing for 5 years. It came back a few days before they moved house.
Why wasn't a great human interest story like that on TV or in the papers.

Australian content too!

Just wondering. Do you know if the cat liked their new house?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[
Yep. Settled in fine. Just didn't like the old place I guess.
Maybe the cat had a sixth sense about the house being haunted, or bad spirits, so left and then had a premonition that it's family were moving out so thought it better head back home.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cats getting home just in time for all the vet bills associated with older animals will start cropping up :anguished:

In all honesty it's pretty odd for an animal to be missing that long and be reunited with the original owner. Good news for them. But I'd assume it hasn't been on it's own for all those years given that it settled in and used the litter tray etc on the first night back.
When's the movie coming out :grinning:
Red Dog Productions.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was a pisstake mate, to highlight some of the alleged ‘thread quality’ content on here :-).
Welcome back old chum. See you had an excursion.

Latest goss on here is that Nasheed has apparently been annointed the King of the Kennel. The Dogs are still fucking shit. And people still don't get my jokes ... well, most of them anyway.

Oh, and me, @ASSASSIN and @Alan79 are starting up a massive venga bus reality TV type show based on excessive drug use, hookers (female AND male according to Alan) and massive limos. You up for a stint on the show? Maybe we can team you up with Wendy? Reckon that'd be a cracker episode.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome back old chum. See you had an excursion.

Latest goss on here is that Nasheed has apparently been annointed the King of the Kennel. The Dogs are still fucking shit. And people still don't get my jokes ... well, most of them anyway.

Oh, and me, @ASSASSIN and @Alan79 are starting up a massive venga bus reality TV type show based on excessive drug use, hookers (female AND male according to Alan) and massive limos. You up for a stint on the show? Maybe we can team you up with Wendy? Reckon that'd be a cracker episode.
Mate I’m in! After a nasty affliction ruled me out for Round 9, a time and motion study was conducted on me (as suggested by the resident protagonist) and unsurprisingly my productivity data was off the charts! Accordingly I’m again available for selection for Round 10 and firing on all cylinders. All aboard! :-).