Non existent recruitment

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done. I hope the egg cleans off ok mate :grinning:
Keep in mind, I’ve always said I’ll hold full judgement till 2021 recruitment wise... good start, with titans releasing arrow and a few other props and Holbrook there I honestly thought they’d get him.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Keep in mind, I’ve always said I’ll hold full judgement till 2021 recruitment wise... good start, with titans releasing arrow and a few other props and Holbrook there I honestly thought they’d get him.
The club were still pretty confident the whole time as I told some in PMs.
Considering what we are up against our recruitment for this season isn’t as bad as some make out either

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
November 2016:

“The Bulldogs have been seeking a fresh approach to recruitment and with the head recruitment manager role open the club wanted a bigger focus on finding not only the best young talent available”

And with that being said, what have they delivered on:

Nick meaney.... Chris Smith.... JMK.... coGGER.....

Hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahahaha

while missing out on or not even bothering an attempt:

sivo
Lomax
Ramien
Korisau
Momorovski
That big young forward from eels who signed with tigers...
Wade Egan
Latrell Mitchell
HARRY GRANT!!
Dargan
Flegler
Adam douehi

But wait.... but wait.... stick to the process we signed panthers 4th placed hooker katoa!!!!!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the positive way to look at all this questioning of the clubs recruitment is that people care, people care about the club. If there wasn't people caring or concerned that would be alot worse.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess the positive way to look at all this questioning of the clubs recruitment is that people care, people care about the club. If there wasn't people caring or concerned that would be alot worse.
Exactly. Nothing more: nothing less than love of their team and club.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I’d put it down to a combination of narrow-mindedness, ignorance and a lack of knowledge/understanding.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We've recruited one decent player that isn't going to have a major influence in other signings unless they're also English - Thompson is unproven in the NRL and isn't a marquee signing. I still think it's going to be a good signing but we're going to need a lot more than that. Also remember John Bateman joined the Raiders on 350k (and after a breakthrough season now wants an upgrade). It's likely Thompson is on a lot more money than that.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've recruited one decent player that isn't going to have a major influence in other signings unless they're also English - Thompson is unproven in the NRL and isn't a marquee signing. I still think it's going to be a good signing but we're going to need a lot more than that. Also remember John Bateman joined the Raiders on 350k (and after a breakthrough season now wants an upgrade). It's likely Thompson is on a lot more money than that.
Hundred percent... couldn’t have said it better myself... I’m More excited that tolman will be on the way out

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hundred percent... couldn’t have said it better myself... I’m More excited that tolman will be on the way out
In today's game forwards need to have variety to their game. Everyone needs to be an attacking threat inside the final third. Just look at the Broncos forwards they're the prototypes (Manly starting prop's too).

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We can always count on your glass half full approach

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everything about our club is up in the air..

No one is certain if this current board , coach or our young spine have the ability to take us to the promised land..

Wait and see time but uncertainty doesnt bring confidence..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
..................we're going to need a lot more than that.
Deserves a separate response;
I honestly don't know what we need, our current crop of developing players (Meaney, Cogger, Lewis, Harper, Wakeham, Averillo etc) have another year, this year, to grow into worthy NRL players. If Smith kicks on at centre we may not need one, if JMK keeps on his trajectory of improvement at hooker we may not need one, etc. This year is not the usual situation where if you have a weakness you try and fill it, even if we identified weaknesses today we have no Cap space to fix them. As a result this year is all about finding out who is gong to make it and who isn't. Then filling those spots before 30 June that we can via turning some players loose or by signing up the quality gap fillers for 2021. Personally I'm looking forward to this year to see which players have it and which don't.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Deserves a separate response;
I honestly don't know what we need, our current crop of developing players (Meaney, Cogger, Lewis, Harper, Wakeham, Averillo etc) have another year, this year, to grow into worthy NRL players. If Smith kicks on at centre we may not need one, if JMK keeps on his trajectory of improvement at hooker we may not need one, etc. This year is not the usual situation where if you have a weakness you try and fill it, even if we identified weaknesses today we have no Cap space to fix them. As a result this year is all about finding out who is gong to make it and who isn't. Then filling those spots before 30 June that we can via turning some players loose or by signing up the quality gap fillers for 2021. Personally I'm looking forward to this year to see which players have it and which don't.

Go Dogs
Our current team isn't good enough. That's why we're expected to come second last this season. One prop isn't going to make a big enough difference for us to make the eight. I love the team but it's obvious there isn't enough talent and game breakers in the squad. I can't question the effort tho. Like people have said we need at least two back upgrades, another half and a hooker (I know there are no halves or hooker's off contract so how are we going to get one and/or spend the money?). When I talk about recruitment it is for 2021 by the way. I know the situation we're in. If players improve then that's good and all but I'm not banking on it and as it stands we need to strengthen our weakest areas. To be honest I think we should already have a good idea who we're keeping for 2021 and looking to plan and recruit for it.

Last edited: