noddys preview for round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...the-2011-seasons/story-fn2mcuj6-1226018948418

Former Kangaroos halfback and Fox Sports commentator Brett Kimmorley offers his thoughts and predictions for round one of the 2011 NRL Premiership season.

NRL 2011 Stats That Matter

Revealed: where your NRL club must improve
NRL Adjudicator

Round one: 'Exacting revenge on the evil field goal'
NRL Line-ups

Round one: NRL line-ups for the season kick-off
Total NRL News

Exclusive: join the one-stop shop for NRL fans
Fearless NRL Predictions

Big 11: post your NRL predictions for season 2011

Sydney Roosters v South Sydney, Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, Friday 7.35pm (EDT)

Noddy says: The injury to Todd Carney is bad news for the Roosters, though I don't think the drink-driving controversy will affect their football much. Braith Anasta will do a great job back in the No.6 position; they're very well settled and very well coach over there at the Roosters camp. One issue I have is that Brian Smith usually gets his club up for the first year, but struggles the second year, so I am interested to see the first month of football from the Chooks. Souths love this fixture, with bragging rides over their eastern suburbs neighbours on the line - it's like a mini grand final. The pressure for the Rabbitohs is on their halves; either Chris Sandow or John Sutton needs to stand up and lead the forward pack around. Tip: Sydney Roosters

Brisbane Broncos v North Queensland Cowboys, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Friday 8.35pm (EDT)

Noddy says: Traditionally this has been a great fixture. I expect the Cowboys to lift for this game, though I see the Broncos as clear favourites. The Broncos have had a fairly disrupted last month of preparation and we're not exactly sure why the change of coach happened. But I expect them to come out and play very, very well; a fresh Darren Lockyer will be outstanding for them. The Cowboys have a bit of pressure on them, particularly Neil Henry. I'm not too sure whether they can improve much on last year with the purchases that they've made. Tip: Brisbane Broncos

Warriors v Parramatta, Eden Park, Auckland, Saturday 5.30pm (EDT)

Noddy says: You will see a much better Parramatta side under new coach Stephen Kearney. They were erratic last year and ill disciplined with the football. The Warriors will be an en exciting machine. I look forward to seeing Felite Mateo going over there and playing some football; I like the halves that the Warriors have. It will be an outstanding game of football, both sides will chance their arm and score some exciting tries. I expect that the Warriors will just scrape home on the back of home ground advantage and with Parramatta fielding some inexperienced players. Tip: Warriors

Melbourne Storm v Manly, Saturday, AAMI Park, Melbourne, Saturday 7:30pm (EDT)

Noddy says: Melbourne played a carefree style of football after the salary cap scandal in 2010, and I thought throwing the football around helped them a little bit. It will be interesting to see whether they revert to the more disciplined side we expect under Craig Bellamy or continue to chance their arm so often. Brett Stewart's return is huge for Manly providing it is a successful one. I have my doubts about Manly being able to score points if Stewart is not at his best. There is also a lot of pressure on young halfback Dale Cherry-Evans to step up. Tip: Melbourne Storm

Gold Coast Titans v St George Illawarra, Skilled Park, Gold Coast, Saturday 7:30pm (EDT)

Noddy says: New Titans No.6 Luke Capewell is a very good player and he should do a great job following Mat Rogers's retirement. Greg Bird is a backrower, in my opinion. I love the Titans forward pack, it's a very mobile pack for a side who try to play a fast style of football. That makes for a great match-up against a Dragons side who make no mistakes, wear you down and make opposition teams tired. This will be an outstanding game of football. The Titans will be looking to get off to a big start on their home ground. Watching the World Club Challenge suggested that nothing has changed at the Dragons - any side that beats them is going to have to play very, very well. I am going to tip the Dragons because they've been able to grind out some big wins already this year. Tip: St George Illawarra

Cronulla v Canberra, Canberra Stadium, Canberra, Sunday 2pm (EDT)

Kimmorley says: Canberra have a great pack forwards. Brett White joins the club and I think is an outstanding leader as a front rower. I fear that with the football in hand they will miss Terry Campese a lot. I don't know how much attacking flair they have in Matt Orford and Josh McCrone who both play a similar style of football which is quite simple. This game is going to be a massive forward battle; the Sharks have one of the best packs in the comp by a mile. However, I can't see how the Sharks will score more than two tries per match off structured plays. The Green Machine to win by a 10-8 scoreline. Tip: Canberra.

Penrith v Newcastle Knights, Penrith Stadium, Sydney, Sunday 3pm (EDT)

Noddy says: Penrith have had some really bad trial form. It scares me a bit when teams don't look excited for a football season. I would say that more than three quarters of their tries in 2010 came off bombs - and that's going to be hard to create again. I am not sure how creative they can be with the football in hand, either. The Knights, on the other hand, are an exciting football machine. Costigan will strengthen their forward pack and the acquisition of young halfback Beau Henry should allow Jarrod Mullen and Kurt Gidley some freedom. I think Henry's a really important part of whether Newcastle do or don't become a top-eight side this year. Tip: Newcastle Knights

Canterbury-Bankstown, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Monday 7pm (EDT)

Noddy says: This is the best game of the weekend. The Tigers are tipped to be a top-four football side this year. They've got pretty much the same side as 2010 and are expected to go even better. Tim Sheens teams are always very well coached with tricks up their sleeves. With a great pack of forwards, a great dummy half and a great five-eighth you know they are going to do something throughout the game. Bulldogs fans can be very excited with the way the club has recruited. They also have an exciting new halves combination. Trent Hodkinson has great composure and will grow into a fantastic player. Kris Keating has a bit more energy and will play a lot quicker than what Trent will; we're working on these halves executing very well and becoming a Dragons-like machine.
Tip: Canterbury-Bankstown.

Status
Not open for further replies.