News 'No scattergun approach': Cashed-up Dogs happy to wait for key targets

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get Clark and Walmsley over and go for an all British front row.

8. Walmsley
9. Clark
10. Thompson
Sounds good but wait there’s more if you sign them before 2021 we’ll even throw in an interpreter! :blush:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get Clark and Walmsley over and go for an all British front row.

8. Walmsley
9. Clark
10. Thompson
I have said this a few tines but when i was in the uk last year i went to the Challenge Cup final at Wembley. Those three players stood out. Clark won the official Man of the match award the Lance Todd trophy. Similar to Josh Hodgson as a dummy half runner but doesn't appear to have a kicking game. When the uk super league resumes shortly i sure hope our board will watch on Fox Sports.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Hill would be telling lies. Why would he when he could just say nothing at all ? After signing Thompson (750K), Cotric (650K), RFM (300K) and Wakeham (200K) that would only leave around 1.1M. If we re-sign Foran (400K) that leaves 700K and if we re-sign Tolman (which I have a bad feeling the club will do), Elliott, Holland or Montoya then we have f..k all left to sign anyone new.

Besides Foran we have to be paying MASSIVE overs to players like Jackson, Hopa, DWZ, Napa, R.Smith, Lewis, Stimson, Britt and even Thompson. Just shows our recruitment strategy has been shit for the last 2-3 years also. Hardly a dollar left and they're talking about signing another prop as the priority WTF ????? Looks like we're not getting a decent half like Hastings or a decent hooker like Clarke. F'..k we could do with a great fullback too. Plenty of us are going to be really pissed if we don't improve any of these positions for 2021. Where has all the money gone ?

Look at our top 7 highest paid players and spine compared to some other clubs. We should have f..king millions left to spend. Mismanagement ? BIG TIME

ROOSTERS
James Tedesco
Boyd Cordner
Angus Chrichton
Luke Keary
Joseph Manu
JWH
SST

SPINE: Tedesco, Keary, Flanagan, Friend

SOUTHS
Damien Cook
Latrell Mitchell
Adam Reynolds
Cody Walker
Cameron Murray
Dane Gagai
James Roberts

SPINE: Mitchell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook

EELS
Mitchell Moses
Regan Campbell Gillard
Clint Gutherson
Junior Paulo
Maika Sivo
Dylan Brown
Blake Ferguson

SPINE: Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Mahoney

DOGS
Kieran Foran
Luke Thompson
Josh Jackson
Dylan Napa
DWZ
Aiden Tolman
Will Hopoate

SPINE: Meaney, Foran, Lewis, JMK

2.55M (one quarter of our cap) just on Thomo, Jacko, Napa, and Tolman and they won't even be scoring us any points. For those dollars we could be paying spine players Tedesco, Keary, and Friend and have change. Jacko on the same dollars as Luke Keary ???????

3 out of 4 of the most inexperienced below average spine players in the comp and we're talking about buying another prop LOL. We needs points FFS. Cotric isn't going to perform miracles by himself.

F..K ME DEAD !

What we need to do is straight out of the Roosters salary cap playbook with 3rd party sponsorships to top up player payments and put less pressure on the salary cap.. The Laundys coming on board (they own close to 70 pubs) has the potential to attract other sponsors.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Graham’s done. Love him but we made the right moves he was a shadow of himself for dragons

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think realistically after chn gone we have around 2mil.

We need 4 good signings out of this.

Hooker - Clarke (would think 400-500k he would jump at to test himself)

Half -burton (300k-350k with first grade should do it)

Prop - wamsley/fisher Harris (500-600k) think is enough.

That’s 1.2-1.45 I’d think if there’s any truth to bird at 275k I’d take the chance for 12 months. If not a player like Katoa for sharks would be a good choice for 300kish also the option of Room for a good bloody backrower when one pops up.

Also slows Foran his 300k.

Next year is the last of Napa and his money to a player worthy helps us bit time.

8. Wamsley/fisher Harris
9. Clarke
10. Insert a replacement for Napa on 600ish
11. Jacko
12. ?
13. Thompson
Stimson in the back row until topine/doorey are ready

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like the club is sick and tired of player managers trying to shop players to us for huge money.

The recent trends in the game have been for a few clubs to try and offload some good players to shore up positions of need. I'm happy for us to reserve some funds in case that happens again. Look at the reports of Brisbane being willing to pay the bulk of Bird and Milford's contracts out (might be bullshit, but not unlikely that they'll pay a portion to be rid of them). Quite likely that other players will be pushed out elsewhere.

It doesn't mean that we're just waiting on these situations to eventuate. It just sounds like we're not falling over ourselves to try and get the players that look at the club and hear cash registers opening. It's impossible to get a read on how much cap space we have left. But if we spend what we do have wisely we can wind up drastically improving.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say stick that up to all the player managers trying to use us as pawns on the negotiating table because we have money to spend.

It's great to see Hill knows who will control the negotiations. Its the smart thing to do. Buying players and having other teams offloading them paying part of their salaries so we can get them at a better value. Patience will see us pick up some decent players.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crazy
I thought Andrew Hill was a mute since the start of the season
Good to see him talking again
Concerning comments re waiting for other clubs to make their moves.... so we can pick up their scrubs it seems.

Unless the incoming cowboys coach wants to sell Robson I can't see that approach being too beneficial

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We really need two edge forwards, I don't think i'll last another season with Jackson out on the right edge lol.
Agree mate, can’t remember the last time he broke the line or even isolated a half in defence love the bloke but get him in the middle haha

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy
I thought Andrew Hill was a mute since the start of the season
Good to see him talking again
Concerning comments re waiting for other clubs to make their moves.... so we can pick up their scrubs it seems.

Unless the incoming cowboys coach wants to sell Robson I can't see that approach being too beneficial
Well it’d be a shame to rush into the player market and then a better option arises, not much movement will happen with players in good sides till later in the year anyway

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure Walmsely would be suited to the quicker game in Australia - trend is towards mobil middle forwards - size at some point becomes a negative - need speed n agility

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure Walmsely would be suited to the quicker game in Australia - trend is towards mobil middle forwards - size at some point becomes a negative - need speed n agility

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The front rower is surely Wamsley, the playmaker would be Burton. The outside back could be Gildart or Bird. Hooker????
If we land Wamsley, Clarke/McInees and Burton for 2021 that would be MASSIVE. I have been throwing shit on the board for the past year but FMD if they pull this off, I take my hat off to them. We will have a genuine top 8 team next year. By 2022, once the rest of the plodders are gone, we could be top 4. Wow. The change in the club fortunes in the last 2 weeks has been amazing. The board will have bought themselves a free ride for the next election. Great work by the board.
I doubt that its Walmsley he is 30 yrs old plus he has said before that he's not interested in going to the Nrl.
Nrl teams have been trying to get him for years,so sorry to burst your happy bubble!

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think realistically after chn gone we have around 2mil.

We need 4 good signings out of this.

Hooker - Clarke (would think 400-500k he would jump at to test himself)

Half -burton (300k-350k with first grade should do it)

Prop - wamsley/fisher Harris (500-600k) think is enough.

That’s 1.2-1.45 I’d think if there’s any truth to bird at 275k I’d take the chance for 12 months. If not a player like Katoa for sharks would be a good choice for 300kish also the option of Room for a good bloody backrower when one pops up.

Also slows Foran his 300k.

Next year is the last of Napa and his money to a player worthy helps us bit time.

8. Wamsley/fisher Harris
9. Clarke
10. Insert a replacement for Napa on 600ish
11. Jacko
12. ?
13. Thompson
Fisher harris makes more than that lol.
Why would he leave there to come here on a pay cut?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that its Walmsley he is 30 yrs old plus he has said before that he's not interested in going to the Nrl.
Nrl teams have been trying to get him for years,so sorry to burst your happy bubble!
Oh well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Isnt that a Meatloaf song or something?