News 'No scattergun approach': Cashed-up Dogs happy to wait for key targets

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Hill would be telling lies. Why would he when he could just say nothing at all ? After signing Thompson (750K), Cotric (650K), RFM (300K) and Wakeham (200K) that would only leave around 1.1M. If we re-sign Foran (400K) that leaves 700K and if we re-sign Tolman (which I have a bad feeling the club will do), Elliott, Holland or Montoya then we have f..k all left to sign anyone new.

Besides Foran we have to be paying MASSIVE overs to players like Jackson, Hopa, DWZ, Napa, R.Smith, Lewis, Stimson, Britt and even Thompson. Just shows our recruitment strategy has been shit for the last 2-3 years also. Hardly a dollar left and they're talking about signing another prop as the priority WTF ????? Looks like we're not getting a decent half like Hastings or a decent hooker like Clarke. F'..k we could do with a great fullback too. Plenty of us are going to be really pissed if we don't improve any of these positions for 2021. Where has all the money gone ?

Look at our top 7 highest paid players and spine compared to some other clubs. We should have f..king millions left to spend. Mismanagement ? BIG TIME

ROOSTERS
James Tedesco
Boyd Cordner
Angus Chrichton
Luke Keary
Joseph Manu
JWH
SST

SPINE: Tedesco, Keary, Flanagan, Friend

SOUTHS
Damien Cook
Latrell Mitchell
Adam Reynolds
Cody Walker
Cameron Murray
Dane Gagai
James Roberts

SPINE: Mitchell, Walker, Reynolds, Cook

EELS
Mitchell Moses
Regan Campbell Gillard
Clint Gutherson
Junior Paulo
Maika Sivo
Dylan Brown
Blake Ferguson

SPINE: Gutherson, Brown, Moses, Mahoney

DOGS
Kieran Foran
Luke Thompson
Josh Jackson
Dylan Napa
DWZ
Aiden Tolman
Will Hopoate

SPINE: Meaney, Foran, Lewis, JMK

2.55M (one quarter of our cap) just on Thomo, Jacko, Napa, and Tolman and they won't even be scoring us any points. For those dollars we could be paying spine players Tedesco, Keary, and Friend and have change. Jacko on the same dollars as Luke Keary ???????

3 out of 4 of the most inexperienced below average spine players in the comp and we're talking about buying another prop LOL. We needs points FFS. Cotric isn't going to perform miracles by himself.

F..K ME DEAD !

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope Hill is just being coy in the media and playing his cards close to his chest when referring to how much cap space we have left.

If it's any less than $2 million left after releasing CHN and maybe letting Tolman and Elliott leave, then we're in trouble as we need more than just another three or four signings.

Obviously hooker and half are the biggest issues. Another prop would be nice but it should be the last priority.
He must be playing some kind of twisted game... factoring in the Cotric and Thompson purchases but significantly offset with Kieran Foran’s 75% pay cut, CNHs release, Harper’s release, having only Tolman, Jackson, Napa, Hoppa and DWZ as our higher profile players, we should have plenty to spend.

Perhaps it’s a ploy not to give too much away too player Managers.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn’t re sign tolman,I’d also be letting holland,Montoya,Remis smith,and a few other plodders go.we need a bit of a clean out.chn would have been on at least 500 k.
We have plenty they are hosing it down so they can negotiate better

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think Hill would be telling lies. Why would he. ? After signing Thompson (750K), Cotric (650K), RFM (300K) and Wakeham (200K) that would only leave around 1.1M. If we re-sign Foran (400K) that leaves 700K and if we re-sign Tolman (which I have a bad feeling the club will do), Elliott, Holland or Montoya then we have f..k all left to sign anyone new.

Besides Foran we have to be paying MASSIVE overs to players like Jackson, Hopa, DWZ, Napa, R.Smith, Lewis, Stimson, Britt and even Thompson. Just shows our recruitment strategy has been shit for the last 2-3 years also. Hardly a dollar left and they're talking about signing another prop as the priority WTF ????? Looks like we're not getting a decent half like Hastings or a decent hooker like Clarke. F'..k we could do with a great fullback too. Plenty of us are going to be really pissed if we don't improve any of these positions for 2021. Where has all the money gone ?

Look at our top 7 highest paid players and spine compared to some other clubs. We should have f..king millions left to spend. Mismanagement ? BIG TIME

ROOSTERS
James Tedesco
Boyd Cordner
Angus Chrichton
Luke Keary
Joseph Manu
JWH
SST

SOUTHS
Damien Cook
Latrell Mitchell
Adam Reynolds
Cody Walker
Cameron Murray
Dane Gagai
James Roberts

EELS
Mitchell Moses
Regan Campbell Gillard
Clint Gutherson
Junior Paulo
Maika Sivo
Dylan Brown
Blake Ferguson

DOGS
Kieran Foran
Luke Thompson
Josh Jackson
Dylan Napa
DWZ
Aiden Tolman
Will Hopoate

3 out of 4 of the most inexperienced below average spine players in the comp and we're talking about buying another prop LOL. We needs points FFS. Cotric isn't going to perform miracles by himself.

F..K ME DEAD !
You forgot CHN's 500k. Plus Elliott is likely gone and Tolman likely won't be re-signed. Hill is probably downplaying our cap space deliberately to avoid player managers making unreasonable demands.

I'm sure the club and Barrett are well aware that we need a hooker and half and are aiming to address the spine.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good call Taldog. Milford under the guidance of a great half in Barrett .......lock it in for a top four finish!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot CHN's 500k. Plus Elliott is likely gone and Tolman likely won't be re-signed. Hill is probably downplaying our cap space deliberately to avoid player managers making unreasonable demands.

I'm sure the club and Barrett are well aware that we need a hooker and half and are aiming to address the spine.
I hope you're right but seems they may have already factored in - they might have already considered CHN gone and we'll only have around 700K if we don't re-sign Tolman, Elliott and others.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We should be going after josh ado Carr. This is silly, unless hill isn’t telling us everything
Infectious character would be great to have around the club.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t shoot me but milf on the cheap alongside Foran would be exciting
Where's the gun icon;)
On his day, when he's on, he's electric....just like Hayne was. But his "on" days are few and far between. Plus we already have a lazy player in Reimis. It would be a big gamble. I'd rather go with Burton - he's young and hungry.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's the gun icon;)
On his day, when he's on, he's electric....just like Hayne was. But his "on" days are few and far between. Plus we already have a lazy player in Reimis. It would be a big gamble. I'd rather go with Burton - he's young and hungry.
Before and can stay fit that’s a big if I think having a calming influence and a game manager next to him would allow him to let loose

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dogs are keen on another front-rower, playmaker and outside back
The front rower is surely Wamsley, the playmaker would be Burton. The outside back could be Gildart or Bird. Hooker????
If we land Wamsley, Clarke/McInees and Burton for 2021 that would be MASSIVE. I have been throwing shit on the board for the past year but FMD if they pull this off, I take my hat off to them. We will have a genuine top 8 team next year. By 2022, once the rest of the plodders are gone, we could be top 4. Wow. The change in the club fortunes in the last 2 weeks has been amazing. The board will have bought themselves a free ride for the next election. Great work by the board.

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how many players do we have signed for 2021 ?

I know we are supposed to carry 30 in the fulltime squad so lets say we have 17 signed so far then that means we need to sign or re-sign 13 more to make up the numbers which means we still must have a fair chunk of our salery cap to spend ?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like I said last week, we have $1.5m spare....assuming we get Foran for $400k and Barrett hasn't made a call on the others off contract yet. We are resigned to losing Elliot. So in my books we've gone backwards in the forwards...losing Elliot and CHN and only picking up Thompson thus far.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Hill would be telling lies. Why would he when he could just say nothing at all ? After signing Thompson (750K), Cotric (650K), RFM (300K) and Wakeham (200K) that would only leave around 1.1M. If we re-sign Foran (400K) that leaves 700K and if we re-sign Tolman (which I have a bad feeling the club will do), Elliott, Holland or Montoya then we have f..k all left to sign anyone new.

ROOSTERS
James Tedesco
Boyd Cordner
Angus Chrichton
Luke Keary
Joseph Manu
JWH
SST

SOUTHS
Damien Cook
Latrell Mitchell
Adam Reynolds
Cody Walker
Cameron Murray
Dane Gagai
James Roberts

EELS
Mitchell Moses
Regan Campbell Gillard
Clint Gutherson
Junior Paulo
Maika Sivo
Dylan Brown
Blake Ferguson

DOGS
Kieran Foran
Luke Thompson
Josh Jackson
Dylan Napa
DWZ
Aiden Tolman
Will Hopoate

2.55M (one quarter of our cap) just on Thomo, Jacko, Napa, and Tolman and they won't even be scoring us any points. For those dollars we could be paying spine players Tedesco, Keary, and Friend and have change. Jacko on the same dollars as Luke Keary ???????

F..K ME DEAD !
Hit the nail on the head mate.
Someone mentioned ‘rockstar’ before. I would love some rock star signings. Everyone else has numerous; we don’t have one.

With the three years endured and our current roster it should be zero surprise if we retained who we wanted and added -Walmsly, Clarke, I like Maloney for a half and to be honest a gun second rower. (Shame about Bateman) Maybe keep Lafai on the cheap too.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this still the Kennel? it's so positive and everyone's getting along LOL.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Like I said last week, we have $1.5m spare....assuming we get Foran for $400k and Barrett hasn't made a call on the others off contract yet. We are resigned to losing Elliot. So in my books we've gone backwards in the forwards...losing Elliot and CHN and only picking up Thompson thus far.
I think realistically after chn gone we have around 2mil.

We need 4 good signings out of this.

Hooker - Clarke (would think 400-500k he would jump at to test himself)

Half -burton (300k-350k with first grade should do it)

Prop - wamsley/fisher Harris (500-600k) think is enough.

That’s 1.2-1.45 I’d think if there’s any truth to bird at 275k I’d take the chance for 12 months. If not a player like Katoa for sharks would be a good choice for 300kish also the option of Room for a good bloody backrower when one pops up.

Also slows Foran his 300k.

Next year is the last of Napa and his money to a player worthy helps us bit time.

8. Wamsley/fisher Harris
9. Clarke
10. Insert a replacement for Napa on 600ish
11. Jacko
12. ?
13. Thompson