'No respect': Bulldogs rookie flattens Cam Smith as Storm survive massive scare

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

FShareTTweetBEmail
Cameron Smith was odds on to claim the NRL point-scoring record against the Bulldogs, ironically against the team the man whose record he was about to claim.

The Storm skipper fell short of the nine points he needed to surpass Hazem El Masri yet there's a fair chance he'll remember this game for being brought down to size by young Bulldogs rookie winger Jayden Okunbor, proving even the best players can be reduced to being a speed bump up against raw speed and power.

Okunbor ran straight at Smith several times during the clash and flattened the Storm skipper on two occasions, leaving Nine's Phil Gould stunned.

"He ran straight at Cam Smith and went straight over the top of him again," Gould said.

"There's no respect."

The Canterbury rookie, who ran for 290 metres, was asked after the game about the clashes with Smith but said it was just a privilege to play against the veteran.

"i got lucky to get over the top of him a couple of times that's just rugby league you look for the smallest bloke and you run at him".

Okunbor's aggression typified Cnaterbury's resolve as they gave The Storm an almighty scare going down 18-16 at AAMI Park.

Bulldogs lock Rhyse Martin had the chance to tie the match up in the final minute with a conversion from the sideline, but the kick sailed wide.

The Storm needed to rely on some Cameron Munster magic to hit the lead in the 68th minute after trailing all game.

Storm gifted penalty try

Munster broke a 12-12 deadlock when he scored the simplest of tries following a scrum, slipping straight through the visitors' defensive line.

But the Bulldogs refused to lay down and winger Reimis Smith crossed in the 77th minute to give sharp-shooter Martin a late chance.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy talked up the skilful Bulldogs before the game, despite just their record of just one win for the season.

And the visitors lived up to his lofty expectations with a dominant first half that rattled the unbeaten Storm.

The Bulldogs arrived in Melbourne without their main playmaker with Kieran Foran out injured and then lost star prop Dylan Napa to an ankle injury early in the game, but out-enthused Melbourne early on.

Tolman fumes after controversial try

Led by crafty halfback Lachlan Lewis, the Bulldogs were ahead 12-6 at halftime, on track to stretch their recent dominant record in Melbourne to four wins.

They started confidently with centre Kerrod Holland opening the scoring in the fourth minute.

The Storm's usual solid right edge of Curtis Scott and Suliasi Vunivalu was badly exposed twice - the first by Holland's run between the pair .

The second try was scored by rangy young winger Jayden Okunbor, when the Storm were again caught short down that side, with the Bulldogs going up 12-0.

Melbourne finally got on the scoreboard in the 31st minute when the bunker awarded a penalty try to Will Chambers when Bulldogs winger Smith took out the centre in the race to the ball in the in-goal.

Giant Storm forward Tui Kamikamica then levelled at 12-12 with a barn-storming run off a Cameron Smith pass to touch down before the heart-stopping finish.

Smith finished the day two points short of levelling Hazem El Masri's all-time scoring record.

-with AAP

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How dare Jayden run at Cameron Smith! He should be ashamed of himself....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
12 week ban for Jayden for not surrendering in Cam Smith Tackle..

Reactions: K E

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are they talking about respect - it’s a contact sport with an opposition, sorry Jayden in future surrender to chicken wing tackles

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You guys are reading it wrong
100%

Gould was taking the piss with his comments... he loved it every time Smith got trampled.

His comments were said in the same guise as "ya can't do that to theold bloke, he's league royalty".

Problem with news articles is they never capture the tone in which something was said.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope in future games when Okunbor runs over the top of defenders and makes a line break we have some players in support.

I think bulldozing efforts caught his teammates by surprise.

Last edited:

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nrl spewing they all flew down to lick cams ass and he didn’t get the record sucked in and got run over twice they shouldn’t have won either way

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Giant Storm forward Tui Kamikamica then levelled at 12-12 with a barn-storming run off a Cameron Smith forward pass to touch down before the heart-stopping finish.
Corrected for accuracy (passed before the line and caught after the line with no float forward excuse).

Go Dogs

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Jayden runs on a railway line. Wish he would at least try and step or run around the fullback lol

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So glad the prick did not get the record against us.He will have nightmares about the 'Okunator " lol

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No respect at all.

When I was a baby I was breastfed by my father. My mother never breastfed me as a child, she told me she liked me as a friend.

Only reason I get any girls at all is because of who I am. A rapist.

A girl called me and said "come over, no one is home". I went over, no one was home.

My wife told me she wants to have sex in the back seat of the car. She wants me to drive.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Jayden runs on a railway line. Wish he would at least try and step or run around the fullback lol
yeah alot on here saying he should step but I like the idea of him running straight and hard at opposition halves and full backs he picks up excellent meters and fatigues the fuck out of them.

Last edited:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he can work on his concentration and be more confident under the high ball we might have another Ronaesque player on hand.

Defence does need some improvement. But if I’m not mistaken he went over 200m last week? Great go forward and we generally start our sets well from kicks. Funny we went after crighton expecting something like this. And Jayden ended up stepping up instead when given than chance.

Anyways. Early days. Even Frawley looked like a dally m medalist early on.

Let’s just hope he keeps working on his game and his attitude doesn’t fall off of he gets lazy.

His drops off kicks is purely a concentration thing more then an inability.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney & Smith need to be either side when he charges up like this, will be something that needs to be implemented into our attack thats for sure. Meaney's support will come in time and needs to, fingers crossed good times ahead.