Opinion No need for Dolphins

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
One hundred percent. I actually agreed with Joey saying we needed to downscale the teams as there isn't enough quality players to have competitive competition.

Only other way is to bring back an actual full time reserve grade and pay them enough to live off. Stronger that is, stronger first grade would be. It's too hard for players to be a chippy all week and train and play as well.
I would love to see a proper second grade with all players making a minimum of like 80k or something. That is enough to live off of it, and the ones who deserve it will get big pay increases to go to first grade. Surely the NRL can afford something like this.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why should there be a shortage of players, not like they're supermen. More where they came from.
Yeah i don't really buy the lack of talent thing too much. i think its being exacerbated by a lack of true talent in key positions, but that's not really the fault of too many teams in the NRL

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would love to see a proper second grade with all players making a minimum of like 80k or something. That is enough to live off of it, and the ones who deserve it will get big pay increases to go to first grade. Surely the NRL can afford something like this.
Isn't minimum wage like $125k or something or is that top 30?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isn't minimum wage like $125k or something or is that top 30?
For top 30 minimum wage is something around that. Reserve grade players/development contracts are significantly less on average.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Currently earning within the vicinity of $550,000 per season in gold and blue, should the Greenacre product ink on with Bennett and company, this figure is set to fall to around $500,000 per annum for the next three seasons."

We should be all over him at this price imo.
If that report was true he’d need to sack his agent. Why on earth would he take LESS money if there’s a bidding war over his services?
Parra can’t afford to lose him now and I wouldn’t surprised if they give him a nice little pay raise to stay.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest problems for development are.
Harold Matthews and SG Ball only go for 9 rounds, All teams have a bye so only 8 games, that is a joke in itself, yes there is semis, final and gf but most teams miss out.
If they are serious about developing players it should run for 16 rounds minimum.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
there's no more extra games so what was the use? no extra tv revenue, no extra betting revenue, adding 1 team does nothing except thin out an already low pool
Channel 9 get a free to air game in Brisbane every week, thats big money grab for nine.