No fears over future for oldest Bulldogs player Josh Morris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FOR so long the Morris twins were the fresh-faced excitement machines.

So it is a little hard to believe they are now the oldest players in the Canterbury squad following the off-season departure of club captain James Graham.

Josh and Brett Morris — along with Greg Eastwood — are the only current Bulldogs aged 30-plus, with Josh also the longest-serving current player as he prepares to celebrate 10 years at the club.

Morris never feared for his future despite rumblings suggesting he and Brett were being shopped around by the club to help deal with Canterbury’s salary cap woes.

“I was always confident,” Josh said. “There were never any discussions with my manager about potentially moving on. If those conversations had arisen I would’ve been a bit more worried.

Josh and Brett Morris are now the oldest Bulldogs players at the club following the departure of James Graham. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“There weren’t any whispers coming towards me. I thought I would be fine. Lucky it has panned out that way.

“I thought my football was OK in the circumstances we had last season. I didn’t think I needed to worry too much. It was probably a bit naive of me because football is a business and players do get moved on.

“I thought if something was going to happen the club would’ve spoken to me and told me straight away and I would’ve been able to deal with that situation.

“I’m now the oldest at the club with (Graham) leaving.

“It’s an effort to play 10 years of first grade and to play it at one club is something I’ve very proud of. It probably wasn’t something I envisaged when I was starting out at the Dragons. I’m very proud to be a Bulldog.”

Morris, who is off contract at the end of next year, will make a decision on his future after the first month of next season.

Young faces but old heads... Brett and Josh Morris are the voices of experience at the Bulldogs now. Picture: Mark Evans
“We’ll see after the first few rounds,” he said. “My body still feels good and in my mind I still feel a bit younger.”

The changing face of the youthful squad is only one part of the Bulldogs’ rebuild. Coach Dean Pay has brought with him an old-school approach with the players being flogged after returning from their preseason break. And they are also revamping their much maligned attack. “(The legs) are sore,” said Morris, who joined the rest of the Bulldogs squad to march in support of White Ribbon Day in Lakemba on Friday.

“I’m another year older so you get a bit sorer and you have to be right on top of your rehab.

“It’s about getting those kilometres in your legs. We want to be a really fit side.

“The attack is already a bit different. It’s one thing we struggled with this year — our execution at crucial times. It’s something we still need to work on and make sure we’re getting the last pass right when we get ourselves into try-scoring opportunities.”

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Happy to still have both Morris boys still in our side

Ive never understood the calls on here for them to be released
Me neither. I think they have another year in them. Maybe even more. I hope they will return to their best again next year, along with the rest of our squad.

Reactions: DT

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Under any other coach he would be recognised as a dual threat in the backline (attack and defence), but with our playing style the last few years, that's ensured he'll be mainly recognised as a defensive centre.

He offers so much more and unfortunately, we have only seen glimpses of what he can actually do. I could probably count on my two hands how much early ball he's had since the Hasler era.

Perhaps in an ironic twist he has his best season with us this year given the changes in pretty much everything at Belmore.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still do think that he has much more to offer. Hope for him to have great next season and the squad under the new coach. Go the doggies..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Happy to still have both Morris boys still in our side

Ive never understood the calls on here for them to be released
Because Brett was a terrible signing and a massive waste of money. Most expensive winger in the game yet he's isn't close to the best, bloke can barely run effectively from dh these days. Josh has been fine and offers far more value.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because Brett was a terrible signing and a massive waste of money. Most expensive winger in the game yet he's isn't close to the best, bloke can barely run effectively from dh these days. Josh has been fine and offers far more value.
Guess des wanted him to be our fullback. Unfortunately at that stage, his body was already failing him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Guess des wanted him to be our fullback. Unfortunately at that stage, his body was already failing him.
And it was an absolutely terrible call to make. I still can't believe some of the idiotic decisions Des made, i genuinely believe he was taking the club for a ride.

Best we can hope for now is for Brett to have a massive offseason and stay injury free before moving on next season. Hopefully he can stretch out a little more this season because without his rapid pace he isn't close to the player he once was.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Music to my ears to hear they are getting "flogged" at training!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the saddest thing no one deserves it more then Josh Morris he’s been a loyal player for the club and will go down as one of my favs I hope and pray we can send him out a winner...
Its sad that Josh may retire without a premiership ring, Brett has one when St Merge won.

Brett has the more decorated career, more rep games for Aus and NSW, a premiership etc. Josh deserves to go out a winner.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately their best days are behind them but they are still getting paid like they are in their prime. They will never recapture their form from 5 years ago because they simply don’t have that pace anymore.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great clubman josh, it would be interesting to see how many have come and gone since his debut at the dogs, he would have be around player number 720 ish?
Along with whare the best defensive centre going around.
Love his passion when he scores, no showboating just passion.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were pretty good last year despite our shitty game plan i think they will have a great year
Yeah I thought Josh looked trimmer and a bit fitter last year but just got no clean ball or space with turtle Lichaa at DH and Reynolds crabbing across field. Foran's straight running should open it up for all the backs and Lichaa looked a lot better out of DH for Lebanon. Just having Foran controlling sets in the attacking 20 should see a lot more tries for the backs. I'll back Montoya for a big year too.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This is the saddest thing no one deserves it more then Josh Morris he’s been a loyal player for the club and will go down as one of my favs I hope and pray we can send him out a winner...
If Halser wasnt a one dimensional old fool and changed his game plan on the run in 2012... poor old Josh would have got his ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.